A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, is it intentional that building a Laboratory in a city which already has an Alchemist's Lab decreases great person (GP) point production? Generally newer buildings are better in every way, not compromises between various factors. For that matter, why does the Alch' Lab increase GP point production?

Hi. In the game I'm currently playing I just discovered Cavalry Tactics, but haven't yet discovered Flintlock. Strangely, I can't currently build any basic defensive gunpowder infantry: arquebusiers are no longer available, but I can't yet build musketmen. I can build grenadiers. I presume that this is the result of arquebusiers being able to upgrade to dragoons - because my city which was building arquebusiers switched to building dragoons.

I mention this because I don't expect that it was intentional...

Rev 856.

Cheers,
A.

It's definitely some kind of issue with multiple upgrade paths. I reconstructed what you say; with all Medieval and earlier techs, Gunpowder, Matchlock, all techs on the path to Absolutism (Oil Painting, Humanism, Free Artistry, Political Philosophy, Divine Right, Jurisprudence, Social Contract, Absolutism), Leadership, and Cavalry Tactics, plus access to Horses, you can't build Arquebusier any more, but you can train Grenadiers and Dragoons.

Arquebusier is supposed to upgrade to either Musketman or Dragoon, and Musketman is supposed to upgrade to Rifleman or Grenadier or Mounted Rifleman. What I think should happen is that if you are unable to train Rifleman (which you aren't without Rifling) you should be able to fall back to Musketman. But then you can't train Musketman without Flintlock, so Arquebusier should reappear on your list. Somehow a step is being skipped and the Arquebusier is being hidden by only the Grenadier + Dragoon combination, when it should require Musketman + Grenadier + Dragoon to completely hide the Arquebusier.

If necessary, we can patch this by moving Grenadier up to Absolutism + Flintlock, but I'd like to see if it can be fixed at the DLL level, because I suspect that something like this could come up in another situation involving units with multiple upgrade paths.

Vokarya, if you can give me a save showing a player in this strange sort of situation, I can look at fixing it.

Vokarya, if you can give me a save showing a player in this strange sort of situation, I can look at fixing it.

This one should do. I did it with WorldBuilder but it's exhibiting the same behavior; can build Grenadier and Dragoon but not Arquebusier even though the civ doesn't have Flintlock.

It's definitely some kind of issue with multiple upgrade paths. I reconstructed what you say; with all Medieval and earlier techs, Gunpowder, Matchlock, all techs on the path to Absolutism (Oil Painting, Humanism, Free Artistry, Political Philosophy, Divine Right, Jurisprudence, Social Contract, Absolutism), Leadership, and Cavalry Tactics, plus access to Horses, you can't build Arquebusier any more, but you can train Grenadiers and Dragoons.

Arquebusier is supposed to upgrade to either Musketman or Dragoon, and Musketman is supposed to upgrade to Rifleman or Grenadier or Mounted Rifleman. What I think should happen is that if you are unable to train Rifleman (which you aren't without Rifling) you should be able to fall back to Musketman. But then you can't train Musketman without Flintlock, so Arquebusier should reappear on your list. Somehow a step is being skipped and the Arquebusier is being hidden by only the Grenadier + Dragoon combination, when it should require Musketman + Grenadier + Dragoon to completely hide the Arquebusier.

If necessary, we can patch this by moving Grenadier up to Absolutism + Flintlock, but I'd like to see if it can be fixed at the DLL level, because I suspect that something like this could come up in another situation involving units with multiple upgrade paths.

Alright, I debugged this and basically the SDK code is "correct". Here is what is happening:

The Arquebusier is replaced by the Musketman. The Musketman is replaced by the Grenadier. Because you can train Grenadiers, Arquebusiers & Musketman are hidden.

The Grenadier may need to be moved out of the infantry upgrade chain to fix this. Or if we don't want to fix this, then do nothing.

Alright, I debugged this ...

The Grenadier may need to be moved out of the infantry upgrade chain to fix this. Or if we don't want to fix this, then do nothing.

I see. However, I would like to be able to build infantry with guns so I hope it can be fixed somehow.

I see. However, I would like to be able to build infantry with guns so I hope it can be fixed somehow.

Right. All I was saying is that the code is working the way it is supposed to.

That does not mean we want the result it produces. We may change things to produce a better result - a result intuitive to players. ;)

There may be a problem with the game option 'start fortified'.
That is, when the destination tile of a city is set to something outside the city and then later reset to the city's tile again, the units should again start fortified in the city. But they don't.
I tried to re-issue the production chain, to deactivate-then-activate the game option, but it doesn't work.

Alright, I debugged this and basically the SDK code is "correct". Here is what is happening:

The Arquebusier is replaced by the Musketman. The Musketman is replaced by the Grenadier. Because you can train Grenadiers, Arquebusiers & Musketman are hidden.

I somewhat get it, but if you add Flintlock in WB, then you CAN build Musketmen, because Musketman upgrades to either Rifleman OR Grenadier OR Mounted Rifleman and Riflemen/Mtd Rifleman aren't available yet. So why would it take the availability of all upgrade units to hide a particular unit, but only one of them to hide a unit one upgrade step previous?

I've had an idea about the Boons and Penalties that apply.

Instead of a fixed gold amount, why not set it to a % of your treasury, or a % of commerce generated, calculated in the F2 screen.

This would make it similar for all speeds, and those with a HIGH *I mean obscene* amount of gold/commerce generation, would be more penalized then a small civ, struggling along.

It would make the boons/Penalties meaningful.

*Edit* Another thought, the Looter promotion, should give the bonus to blockades as well, not just for Pillaging tiles, but for blockading trade.

{Offtopic}
@IPEX: To play Civ 4 under linux, did you just used wine and started the game ? or PlayOnLinux ?

I use wine, I have an icon for "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn", with the correct link to launch the mod.

I just double click on a saved game, * I find that works best for Gigantic maps*, and it loads up.

I'm using wine 1.6.2 as its a long term stable version, the Beta's for the most part work fine, if an error with one, just roll back 1 version.

Didn't like play on Linux. Meh.

Link in my name has it all out lined.

*I just haven't bothered to look at Basic Beyond the sword and bug, Probably ok, just haven't bothered to check, it Rise or fail to play at all ;)

researching "trade" technology should allow to build beadmaker, furrier, etc., if proper resources in city vicinity, however, the buildings don't show up in build menu.

Having Nationalism a requirement for Cannons isn't a bad thought itself; however, it seems flawed if you consider that both Brigantines and Frigates (with their cannon fire power) are available many many years earlier. I just discovered Naval Cannons Winter 1364 (65% science and 5598 beakers per turn) and if the Science tree is to be believed, I still have 188 turns to discover 10 other Technologies before starting to research Nationalism which takes 27 turns itself.

Hmmmm!!!

Hi! Running A New Dawn 2.something. Version history says RoM 2.92.
I am using Usable Mountains. I do not know if it is that mod or some other that should allow me to build cities on peaks when I discover Algebra, but the Algebra description says that players should be able to found cities on peaks. Still, I discovered Algebra, and no city founding on peaks.

By the way, to test, I went into the Terrains xml file and changed the found-city booleans from 0 to 1 for both found city, found coast and found river. That did not help either. So here are my questions:
1) Is this a know bug (or something that has been fixed in a later version that is not SVN)
2) Is there a known work around?
3) Tips to where in the file structure I could investigate if it is not a known bug?

researching "trade" technology should allow to build beadmaker, furrier, etc., if proper resources in city vicinity, however, the buildings don't show up in build menu.

Noted, I'll check when I have time

Having Nationalism a requirement for Cannons isn't a bad thought itself; however, it seems flawed if you consider that both Brigantines and Frigates (with their cannon fire power) are available many many years earlier. I just discovered Naval Cannons Winter 1364 (65% science and 5598 beakers per turn) and if the Science tree is to be believed, I still have 188 turns to discover 10 other Technologies before starting to research Nationalism which takes 27 turns itself.

Hmmmm!!!

If Realistic Timescale is ON, you'll probably need a lot less turns; it will adjust itself while turns are passing.
Tech tree is Vokarya's playground, but I feel fine with current tech organization. I always think that cannons built with Nationalism are simply better cannons while old ones are represented by bombards. In practice we only have bombards and cannons but in real world there's been a wide variety of firearms between those 2. For example you can think about ships being armed with carronades instead of cannons as those available during and after napoleonic wars.

Hi! Running A New Dawn 2.something. Version history says RoM 2.92.
I am using Usable Mountains. I do not know if it is that mod or some other that should allow me to build cities on peaks when I discover Algebra, but the Algebra description says that players should be able to found cities on peaks. Still, I discovered Algebra, and no city founding on peaks.

By the way, to test, I went into the Terrains xml file and changed the found-city booleans from 0 to 1 for both found city, found coast and found river. That did not help either. So here are my questions:
1) Is this a know bug (or something that has been fixed in a later version that is not SVN)
2) Is there a known work around?
3) Tips to where in the file structure I could investigate if it is not a known bug?

Revision number (rev) can be seen hovering your mouse over the flag next to minimap. Current rev is 867. It's been reported that someone is not able to found cities on some peaks while it's possible to found on some others. I need to look at the code when I have time, I suspect I know the reason but it could depend on the terrain below the peak (if it's desert or ice, you can't found a city there), or if there's fresh water access. And it's anyway probably a dll problem.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13632876 said:
If Realistic Timescale is ON, you'll probably need a lot less turns; it will adjust itself while turns are passing.
Tech tree is Vokarya's playground, but I feel fine with current tech organization. I always think that cannons built with Nationalism are simply better cannons while old ones are represented by bombards. In practice we only have bombards and cannons but in real world there's been a wide variety of firearms between those 2. For example you can think about ships being armed with carronades instead of cannons as those available during and after napoleonic wars.

Where does one find the Realistic Timescale option?

BUG options, A New Dawn tab, last column, last option on the bottom. Be warned that if you turn it ON (it should be already by default) you won't see turns changing immediately. But while you get closer to the "real" tech/era ratio, you'll need less turns to discover the appropriate tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom