abbamouse Realistic Religions mod including Zoroastrianism

I posted version 1.52 (I always bump up the version to match the latest patch version, even though little changed between 1.11 and 1.52) so everything should be current with the latest patch. Indeed, the mod now requires 1.52 to play. Let me know if anything strange pops up.

Kelvin -- I don't understand what's wrong with the current Taoism logo. The one you posted looks nice, but how is it different than the in-game one, aside from being larger and therefore more detailed?

I found a graphic bug that popped up in 1.52. Cities weren't properly showing religion icons. I fixed the bug in 1.53 (download from first message in thread).

Hello abbamouse,

I had actually this discussion here in general thread as someone told me about your mod. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=149110

I tested it yesterday and must say, excellent job!!

Regarding your to-do list for the next version:
The idea of moving Zoroastrism to a earlier stage than Code of Law is great. Zoroastrism is 3700 years old and should be able to be discovered sooner than anything but Juddaism. I am still thinking which technology would make sense.

However I disagree with your idea of penalty for the corpse disposal. The Zoroastrians are actually very strict about health and purity. E.g. there are strict cleaning rituals with ammoniac for the corpse bearers. The corpse was not just laid openly somewhere, but at the top of a special big tower called "Tower of Silence". This Towers were in the barrens far away from the city. The corpse was then eaten up by vultures and the sun. The bones were then buried later. This measurement was taken to not pollute the earth with the corpse.

The Zoroastrians were even in those ancient times some sort of environmentalist. None of the elements were allowed to be polluted. It was forbidden to urinate into a river. If someone disposed a corpse into the river he would have been charged to the dead sentence. Polluting the Air with the wrong way of using a smoky fire was also forbidden. Polluting the holy fire itself was of course also not allowed. If I were you, I would even consider a health bonus to Zoroastrism.

But your other point of making their Fire Temples 20% more expensive is very sharp. Indeed it was and still is quite costly maintaining these temples.

Just for the record: Back to Corpse disposal in the Tower of Silence; this was only done for the laymen. The King and royal family were after their death been embalmed with special oils and wax and buried in mausoleums carved in the hills. (Achamenid until Sassanid era)

You can see here in 3D these mausoleums in the hills from Sassanid era:
http://www.world-heritage-tour.org/midEast/ir/persepolis/kabaZartosht.html
Turn also to the left and have a look at Zarathustra’s House (Ka’beye Zartosht) This was supposed to be a special FireTempel. Maybe a small wonder in our game?

Kind Regards,
Houman

IMHO, temples should trigger their specific advantages and disadvantages only if they are temples of your state religion. let me provide you with an example:

it seems kinda strange that a city with 5 religions already present in it loses 1 health after I spread hinduism and build the corresponding temple... yeah, hindu in that city won't eat cows, but the remaining 99% of the population (buddhist) will, so it's kinda nonsense.

other than that, awesome work.

Back to Christianity, maybe a split-up in Catholic, Orthodox & Protestant would be nice.

First:
A Tech should be implented called "Reformation" or something which allows that all monothestic, polythestic and philosophical religions to be changed to the staatereligion, which must also be monothestic, polythestic or philosophical, by missionarys. Preq .-technology for Protestantism.

Second:
A Tech should be implented called "Inquisition" or something which allows missionarys or inquisitor called additional units to remove other religions as the staatereligion with a certain chance.

Third:
the Catholic way is rather that basic kind of Christianity, so it should have a average spreadrate and missionarys, but their inquisitors are double effective as normal ones.

The Othodox way is the the right and true kind but rather unique to the other both ones, it has no spreadrate of its own, it only can spread to its Missionarys which are double that succesfull than other missionarys.

The Protestant way is mostly more open and emacipated than catholizism, and it should have a higher spreadrate. They still have missionarys to fasten the process up, but they only can reform instead of convert.

At Last:
As long as the founding city of a christian religion is in the hands of civ with that religion as staatereligon, +1 :) in all citys with that staatereligion too, otherwise -1 :mad: .
Christian religions do only have small diplomatic-malus on each other, -1 than -4 in times of peace, but at war this should be rise to -6.

Karen

Gekko, you obviously haven't been reading my posts here nor my thread where which I resolved that problem :)

Fachy said:
Gekko, you obviously haven't been reading my posts here nor my thread where which I resolved that problem :)
For several reasons, I prefer abba's religion mod to yours. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to tell us how to change it in this mod, for those of us that choose not to use yours?

Isnt it possible to religions split in the middle of the game, like, first there was Judaism, them same unhappy people, or maybe a great person born (Jesus) and you can use him to create Christianity. Not create through technologies...

Im not good in religion history, but im pretty sure that each one developed from another one...

Maybe when you have many unhappy people on your cities they just decide to create another religion... And you can deal with it or put an heavy army on your cities to stop its spreading...

Just ideias....

Fachy said:

well, I've checked out your mod, but it seems a lil bit too much "extreme" to me. I'm happy with abba's changes, but imho even this mod still needs some improvements. I have a question: does every city have different percentages of followers for each religion present ( ex: buddhism and hinduism present, 70% B, 30% H ) , or does it simply know that the city has 2 religions present in it? I suspect it is the latter, which will make my complaints pretty hard to address...

My initial reaction to Fachy's mod -- posted here because it's more of an explanation of why I made certain choices than an indictment of the ones Fachy made.

I think it's great to see someone else trying to make these religions different and interesting. I'm not going to make a laundry list of stuff I like/dislike about Fachy's mod, but I do want to talk about why I won't be following his lead in one critical area.

I've looked through Fachy's stuff using a tool to compare the xml files (since I didn't quite understand all of the description in that thread). As I understand it, the biggest change in his mod is requiring a particular faith as your state religion before you can build its temples or enjoy their benefits. I'm not entirely comfortable with that approach, for the following reasons:

1. If you convert to , say, Taoism, then your Jews effectively cease to exist and you enjoy the benefits and costs of having a 100% Taoist population. Perhaps there are some effects that really should key off of which faith is the state religion, but surely your Jews haven't started eating pork just because the state religion has changed.

2. As far as I can tell, multiple religions are not only useless, but actually bad under Fachy's mod. In order to prevent people from simply choosing no state religion (whereupon the game lets them build buildings that would otherwise require a particular state religion), you have to introduce some sort of penalty for having no state religion. Moreover, Fachy also introduces a penalty for each religion in a city, which is partially offset by the one temple that will be active at any time. So what's the problem?

a. Free Religion becomes a terrible choice, offering big unhappiness penalties without the usual advantages of the civic. Since I'm interested in realism, this would imply that we should see societies with freedom of religion being the most strife-torn nations on the planet. In fact, the reverse seems to be true -- most free-religion countries seem quite peaceful. Indeed, most of them experienced far more strife when they had a state religion (provoking violent opposition from nonstate religious groups) than after they adopted free religion.​

b. Religious diversity becomes a source of unhappiness. This makes intuitive sense to many people, since it takes two to fight and therefore at least some diversity is required for conflict. However, I study civil wars for a living and the best available evidence suggests that religious diversity usually decreases the risk of civil strife. While there are certainly some religious wars out there, countries with lower levels of religious diversity actually have a slightly higher chance of civil war than countries with a high level of religious diversity. We rarely hear news stories that say "Muslims and Christians in Guinea didn't kill each other last week" -- but that is the normal state of affairs. Moreover, many of the most bitter "religious" wars are actually fought between co-religionists who disagree on some arcane point of doctrine (often these wars are really about who gets to exert religious-political authority, not really about the doctrinal disputes at issue). The best work on this issue was done by a team funded by the World Bank; some notable papers were written by Collier, Hoeffler, Sambanis, and others I forget. Other papers, including one by Fearon using different data and methods than the World Bank scholars, have reached the same conclusion. While much of this research was published in peer-reviewed journals, you can get most of the important papers by simply Googling for "risk of civil war" AND "religious diversity" -- search for those phrases in the text if you don't know how to read tables of statistics. Here's a few links for the curious (warning: these papers are dense, filled with statistics and math -- focus on the conclusions, which are pretty easy to follow):

Collier and Hoeffler -- Greed and Grievance in Civil War
Fearon -- Ethnicity, Insurgency, and Civil War

There are several dozen of these studies, although most of them focus on similar data and are written by a handful of researchers. Now there are a few studies that say that religious diversity plus state repression of nonstate religions increases the risk of conflict, but even these effects are quite weak compared to the effect of economic and strategic variables.​

To summarize: I'm not implementing a "religious diversity is bad" element because it wouldn't be realistic, and I'm not tying Temples to state religion because that leads to bizarre outcomes when you choose Free Religion or switch state religions.

This really isn't intended to be a negative post, so now I'll pose a question. I do think Fachy's approach has a lot of interesting elements to it, even though I don't want to do exactly the same thing as him for the reasons I just gave. What I would like to do is tie most of the effects of a religion to the number of people with that religion in a city. I don't think this is possible yet, because many of the interesting values (i.e. health from Pigs) can only be integers (unlike health from forests, which gets to be .4 instead of 0 or 1). Moreover, I don't even know if there exists a variable that says what % of a city is each faith. I suppose that 1/(number of faiths in a city) would do in a pinch, but there is no way to define and use that variable in the game yet. The SDK may change this, and I'm still poking around in the Python files and others' mods to see if someone else has solved the puzzle.

My point? I'm looking for more ideas about how to implement things realistically. I recognize the problems that come up when you tie everything to Temples as I've done, but I haven't been able to find a solution that doesn't create more problems than it solves. I hope Fachy and others continue to pursue their mods, because that increases the chance that one of us will stumble across the perfect solution to these problems.

abbamouse said:
What I would like to do is tie most of the effects of a religion to the number of people with that religion in a city. I don't think this is possible yet, because many of the interesting values (i.e. health from Pigs) can only be integers (unlike health from forests, which gets to be .4 instead of 0 or 1). Moreover, I don't even know if there exists a variable that says what % of a city is each faith. I suppose that 1/(number of faiths in a city) would do in a pinch, but there is no way to define and use that variable in the game yet. The SDK may change this, and I'm still poking around in the Python files and others' mods to see if someone else has solved the puzzle.

that's also what I would like to see in your mod. Thanks for the quick and clear answer. I agree with everything I quoted. keep up the good work :goodjob:

I'm thinking about changing the techs that grant certain religions. Here is how the history breaks down:

Hinduism: Elements as early as 2000 BCE, writing in 800 BCE. A number of sites give a figure of 1500 BCE for a complex faith containing many of the elements of modern Hinduism.

Buddhism: 500 BCE or so -- founded by Buddha, who had been educated in Hindu thought (so of course Buddhism was a response to Hinduism, and thereofre was informed by it)

Judaism: As with Hinduism, there is huge disagreement over the age of Judaism. For example, there is no archaeological evidence of Kings Solomon and David or any of their predecessors. If there was an Egyptian captivity, it seems most likely to have been around 1200 BCE, give or take a century. We have clear archaeological evidence of Israelites somewhere around 900 BCE. So a range of 1500 BCE to 900 BCE for Judaism seems to be pretty reasonable. There was probably some cultural influence from Zoroastrianism on Judaism's development during the Babylonian captivity, but most scholars seem skeptical of claims that Jewish theology was greatly altered by Zoroastrianism.

Zoroastrianism: While elements of this faith seem to be quite old -- linguistic eveidence suggests perhaps as early as 1500 BCE -- the "traditional" dates given for Zoroaster's/Zarathushtra's life would have him teaching around 600 BCE (a date considered improbably recent by most historians). Somewhere betwen 1500 BCE and 1200 BCE would be a reasonable origin date for this faith.

Taoism: Elements of it date from around 400 BCE, although some works like the Tao Te Ching may have been written as recently as 200 BCE. It was certainly a organized movement by 100 BCE, however. So a date of 400BCE - 200 BCE seems reasonable.

Christianity: The Gospels seem to have been written down sometime around 70 CE, although we might have trouble recognizing their authors as Christian today. Still, a time-frame of 30 CE - 70 CE seems pretty reasonable. Christianity was obviously an offshoot of Judaism when it was founded.

Islam: From about 610 CE to 632 CE, Islam was explicated by Mohammed. There is plenty of historical evidence to support these dates. Islam drew from both Jewish and Christian traditions, recognizing both as "people of the book."

Implications:
1. The order in which religions appear should be something like:

Oldest:
Hinduism (1500 BCE, give or take 300 years)
Judaism (1500 BCE - 900 BCE)
Zoroastrianism (1500 BCE - 1200 BCE)

Old:
Buddhism (around 500 BCE)
Taoism (400 BCE - 200 BCE)

New:
Christianity (pre-100 CE)
Islam (600s CE)

2. A faith which was clearly informed by another prior to its establishment as a distinct religion should require the prior religion (or rather, its associated tech) as a prerequisite. So:

Hinduism = no prereqs
Judaism = no prereqs
Zoroastrianism = no prereqs
Buddhism = Hinduism prereq
Taoism = no prereqs
Christianity = Judaism prereq
Islam = Judaism and Christianity prereqs

So combining these two, the tech tree's religion elements should look something like this:

Hinduism ---------------> Buddhism
--Judaism ------------------------->Christianity----------------->Islam
----Zoroastrianism
-----------------------------Taoism

Right now, the tech tree looks more like this:

Buddhism------------------->Taoism
|----------------------->Zoroastrianism
-Hinduism---->Judaism--->Christianity----->Islam

So here are the problems:
A. Buddhism appears too early, usually before Hinduism
B. Buddhism doesn't require Hinduism's tech
C. Judaism requires Hinduism and comes a bit too late
D. Zoroastrianism comes too late
E. Zoroastrianism shouldn't require Buddhism and Hinduism (actually, you can already doge this if you go the Currency route to Code of Laws instead of the Priesthood route, but this rarely results in getting the tech first and founding Zoroastrianism)

Here's the outline of a solution:
Move Zoroastrianism earlier
Move Buddhism later, to a tech that requires Hinduism's
Judaism shouldn't require any other faith's prerequisite
Buddhism and Taoism should appear at a similar time
Christianity should then follow, and then Ilsam (as is already the case)

Specific suggestions:
* Hinduism stays where it is, but Polytheism's cost is lowered to 80 instead of 100 so it might actually be the first religion founded in more games.
* Swap Monotheism and Meditation on the tech tree, which allows players to research Monotheism at the beginning.
* Since Priesthood now has Monotheism as a prereq, have Judaism founded by first to discover Priesthood.
* Allow Meditation to be researched if the civ already knows Monotheism -- and have the first to discover Meditation found Zoroastrianism.
* First to discover Literature founds Buddhism
* Theology now requires Priesthood rather than Monotheism

Any thoughts on this system before I implement it?

sorry to say abbamouse you are wrong with buddhism, i just took a whole(boring) course on Buddhism and I most clearly remember that Buddhism came way Before Hinduism actully Buddhism is split into 2 main branches, one is the strict Buddha monks the other is the lay people(do not have the names right off hand something like Himanaya and Mayiana, my spelling is off) my point is the branch of Buddhism for the lay people is where the Hinduism derived from...and about Sidhartha(Buddha) himself being a Hindu is that a joke, Buddhism is a way of life not truly a religion anyway, i have books on this if you need any help.... this is just some creative criticism....

abbamouse said:
Specific suggestions:
* Hinduism stays where it is, but Polytheism's cost is lowered to 80 instead of 100 so it might actually be the first religion founded in more games.
* Swap Monotheism and Meditation on the tech tree, which allows players to research Monotheism at the beginning.
* Since Priesthood now has Monotheism as a prereq, have Judaism founded by first to discover Priesthood.
* Allow Meditation to be researched if the civ already knows Monotheism -- and have the first to discover Meditation found Zoroastrianism.
* First to discover Literature founds Buddhism
* Theology now requires Priesthood rather than Monotheism

Any thoughts on this system before I implement it?

is this realistic and historically accurate? if yes, go for it :D

AWolfe: If you prefer Abba's mod then ask him not me :p
Abba: Islam was founded in a basically pagan society, only had some jewish minorities and very very few christians in it.

I have thought of a tech tree something like this:

* Mysticism (no requirements)
* Priesthood (req Mysticism) founds Zoroastrism

* Polytheism (req Mysticism) founds Hinduism
* Meditation (req Polytheism AND Priesthood) founds Buddhism
* Philosophy (req Meditation AND Literature) founds Taoism

* Monotheism (req Priesthood AND Writing) founds Judaism
* Theology (req Monotheism AND Literature) founds Christianity
* Divine Right (req Theology AND Monarchy) founds Islam

That should fix the chronology, and allow the ability to choose the Abrahamitic or the Dharmic path.

Geebo: Not even the Buddhists claim that Buddha was born earlier than the 600 BCE range. Indeed, many of them are beginning to think he may have been born a bit later. See
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/b_chron-txt.htm
for a more or less standard set of dates. I suspect we are in rough agreement on the date for Buddhism.

So the notion that Hinduism is not as old as Buddhism can only be true if Hinduism is relatively young. I think the disagreement among scholars stems from disagreements over the definition of Hinduism. I identify Hinduism as emerging with its "scriptures" or constitutive texts such as the Vedas -- and there is little doubt that the Vedas preceded Buddha by at least several centuries. Some argue they were composed in 1000 BCE - 1300 BCE, while others argue for a more "recent" date of 800 BCE or so (still prior to Buddha). Now if you insist that Hinduism is more than its scriptures and some sociocultural traditions, then it is true that many "doctrines" of Hinduism post-date Buddha. Indeed, some authors have gone so far as to argue that British colonialism a few hundred years ago is what really sparked the emergence of "modern" Hinduism that recognized a common basis for its many disparate beliefs and practices. But I don't think Hindus would have any trouble recognizing the practices of people 2800 years ago as being distinctly Hindu (ie as close to Hindu as the Christian Apostles were to modern Christians). So while you know a lot about Buddhism, I don't think many Hindus would agree with your view of Hinduism.

If you search the old thread where I planned this mod, one of my biggest priorities has been to avoid giving offense to people when they look at their own faith (of course, plenty will be offended by the overly positive portrayal of other peoples' faiths, but this cannot be avoided). I think Hindu being really old avoids offending Hindus (and is likely correct), and I think a date of around 600 BCE for Buddhism avoids offending Buddhists. Buddhists may not like the Hindu date and vice versa, but that's not important to me as long as the decision is supported by available empirical evidence. As far as Buddha being a "Hindu" -- well, he was surrounded by Hindu practices (or Vedic ones, if you prefer). That doesn't mean he was a Hindu, but he saw Hindus and interacted with them because those were the people around him. When he rejected prior approaches, he was implicitly rejecting the beliefs he had seen in his travels.

Top Bottom