abbamouse Realistic Religions mod including Zoroastrianism

I haven't abandoned the mod, but I haven't had much time to work on it either. I'll probably get it updated when/if we see the SDK and another patch. Then again, I may wait to see if some other people can develop a few "widgets" with the SDK that I could use in this mod.

I will fix the bugs Houman identified, but I think they're pretty non-critical so I'll wait until the next full update.

Abba,

I have implemented your Mod into the Realism mod. I have extended some stuff, if you are interested in.

- Reskined Zoroastrian Temple (red brick skin on Confucian Temple model)
- Reskined Zoroastrian Monastery (red brick skin on Confucian Monastery model)
- Replaced the Shrine (Adur Burzan-Mehr) by taking the neutral Tempel Model (The one that has a fire place on the top) and reskinned it nicely with red bricks.
- Reskinned the Magi to white cloth with golden endings.
- Implemented the second unique religious unit for each state religion:
Christians get the Crusader (City invader)
Muslims get the Jihad fighter (Unit killer)
Zoroastrians get 2 Dastur (each can provide a great work in any city with +80 culture) reskinned in complete white (no golden endings)
Taoist get one Chi Unit, that can build a single special ACADEMY_FENGSHUI.
Hindus get one Guru, that can hurry up a project in the nation.
Buddhists get max 4 Siddhas, that is Medic II and can heal the units.
Jewish can build 4 Amma spies, that can spy around.

If you like any of them, I could provide you with the files.
Regards
Houman

I might take issue with your statement that Daoism is inherently an anti-state religion, if you look into Daoism's history you'll see the case is considerably more complex. There have been many cases in Chinese history where Daoism was in fact sponsored by the state (for instance most famously during the Tang Dynasty). Indeed after the fall of the Han Dynasty the Celestial Masters sect started their own state, and started referring to the concept of the celestial bureaucracy! While certainly there have been anti-state movements in Daoism's religious history they have largely been aimed towards the establishment of theocratic states following the toppling of the government (The Yellow Turbans are of course the most famous example). Anyhow, it's hard to pin down what exactly Daoism is, but if I could point to a common thread it would be the emphasis on health in the religion (through accumulating and refining Qi, using medicines, driving out evil spirits that cause you to become unhealthy etc.), therefore maybe you would want to take that into consideration.

How about religions spreading two ways: immigrants (as a unit) and missionaries?

Immigrants are built like settlers, halting the growth of your city. They should be expensive. They can bring religion to any city. One could even consider them crossing closed borders, and they might add one population (just brainstorming here).

Missionaries are only be able to bring their religion to cities that have no religion yet. A special ability for the Christian faith, and Islam, might be that they are able to use their missionaries to bring their religions to cities that do already have a religion.

So a possible implementation of theis idea would be that Jewish states would have to build expensive immigrants if they want to spread their religion, while Christians and Muslims could convert the world if they wanted to.

What does monotheism do? I can't see any reason to get this tech. No tech requires monotheism. What is it for? Sorry for my ignorance.

This is a great mod. Ignore all the boring history of the religions and what you are left with is a creative, exciting mod which should be encouraged. Well done and keep up the good work!

Houman -- That stuff sounds exciting.

Everyone -- Now that the latest patch and SDK are out I plan on another couple of updates. The first update will be sometime in the next week and will fix a couple of bugs and update everything to the 1.61 patch. At that point, I'll see about Houman's stuff to see what should be added to this mod. After a few months, I expect to do a third update which will incorporate work people have done with the SDK by then. Off to work on the next update....

I am glad you are back. Download my Mod and everything you need is yours. We have done lots of more changes regarding the spreadrate and missionaries because of game balancing.

Houman

I posted version 1.61, which fixes the issues Houman found and makes everything compatible with patch 1.61. Does anyone know what happened to the Japanese, Russian, Chinese text lines in the civilopedia? They seem to have been dropped from the latest patch. I decided to keep them in for now, since they don't seem to cause any problems and I'd hate to have to add them again later.

Next up: Religious UUs, largely stolen from Houman's mod :)

hehe, no problem. ;)

Take also the new skins for Zoroastrian Temple, Monastery and Shrine. The shrine looks quite interesting.

We are implementing a python solution for more realistic spreadrate of Judaism.

Taoist have been modified completely, since we had some argues about the anti-state or state-supported aspect of it.

I tried downloading this mod, put it in the Mod folder, and ran it from the Mod menu, but I got a STRING of error messages and I had to exit the program. Can anyone tell me why this didnt' work?

OOps :blush: Figured out what happened--I had an earlier version of Civ4. Oh well, it works fine now. Thanks for putting together this mod!

Houman -- I got the skins working (rather easy to do). I'm interested in your approach to Taoism and to Judaism. Both of those are admittedly imperfect in my mod, but I haven't come up with anything better yet. It's great to see others trying to tackle the same issues.

strategyonly -- You hit the nail on the head. This is not supposed to be a radical deprture from the game. My goal is to make "Civ IV, but with more uniqueness between religions." That's it. I want it to feel like Civ IV in every respect except which faith a player pursues.

abbamouse said:
(often these wars are really about who gets to exert religious-political authority, not really about the doctrinal disputes at issue)
An insightful point.

Lightzy said:
this game doesn't really take into account how most people are secular
Most people live secularly, but are ostensibly adherents to some faith.

I'll add my $0.02

- You should incorporate the SettlerReligion mod into your mod

- Christianity should have a 100 spread rate. Christianity spread very quickly after it was discovered (like Islam did). Being this is a "late" religion in the game, it *should* over power the older faiths.

The way I see it, the newer faiths should overpower the older faiths by a small margin (nothing excessive). The advantage the older faiths have is that they're already established in the world, so they're influence is already spread out. The newer religions need a little bit of an edge to compensate.

- Buddihism, Zoro and Hinduism should have a slower spread rate. While Buddihism and Hinduism are two of the largest religions in the world (based off of population), they're not that "spread out" across the globe. Mainly they're concentrated in Asia (India, China, Japan, etc). Zoro is pretty much obsolete these days. The slower spread rate would represent this. Perhaps have some kind of health bonus for Hinduism and Buddihism to simulate rapid population growth?

Of course the newer faiths (Christianity and Islam) should have the faster spread rates, as their influence is spread all across the globe.

- Here are som suggestions for the tech tree. It could go like this:
-- Mysticism leads to (Priesthood, Monothiesm and Polythiesm).
-- (Monothiesm OR Polythiesm) leads to Meditation
-- (Monothiesm OR Polythiesm) and Priesthood leads to Monarchy
-- The religions could stick with the vanilla Civ4 techs

This is a great mod, I only have one problem though. Monotheism is a worthless tech.
My suggestion is make monotheism a requirement for priesthood. This would improve two things, A: Monotheism would be worth something, and B: It would make it a little harder for whoever gets Hinduism to also get Judaism

I've been following this mod for a couple months intending to try it out once it was more fully polished. Abbamouse, you seem to have a great handle on religions and i admire and appreciate your work on this mod. Have you abandonned it? I hope not.

- feydras

Abbamose could you ad some religons such as African tribal worship and Native American Shamanism???

Zoroanstianism is not obsolte they have 2.6 millon followers today in India.

Top Bottom