Abortions, Executions and Hamburgers: A Brief Survey

Which of the following best reflects your views?

• Abortions:Y Capital Punishment:Y Consumption of Animals:Y

Votes: 35 19.7%
  • Abortions:Y Capital Punishment:Y Consumption of Animals:N

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Abortions:Y Capital Punishment:N Consumption of Animals:Y

Votes: 87 48.9%
  • Abortions:Y Capital Punishment:N Consumption of Animals:N

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • Abortions:N Capital Punishment:Y Consumption of Animals:Y

Votes: 22 12.4%
  • Abortions:N Capital Punishment:Y Consumption of Animals:N

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abortions:N Capital Punishment:N Consumption of Animals:Y

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • Abortions:N Capital Punishment:N Consumption of Animals:N

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I agree with the last paragraph. I think that while some people are more inclined to violence, I believe anyone can suppress it in themselves. Maybe not the entire desire, but certainly the action.

This is not the case. You can't just spew this rubbish and pass it off as fact when it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. Have you never heard of biological determinism? A ''normal'' person with a correctly formed and undamaged pre-frontal cortex (an area of the brain that is responsible for suppressing aggression) can indeed suppress aggressive actions. People without this find it extremely difficult, serious damage makes it next to impossible. There is a highly significant correlation, first found I believe by Adrian Raine, between damage to the pre-frontal cortex and murderers.

Although these biological factors (and others) to an extent remove the blame from the person for their actions, the death penalty is not about punishment, it is about removing dangerous aspects from society and that's why I support it in these cases.

Which is why I specified its less glib in cases of rape or danger to the mother. Which is where it gets tricky, and it begs the question "Is the fetus really a life?"
Cripes Domination, we've been over this.

The question is not: "Is the foetus a life?". It is. But that doesn't mean anything. A cow is also a life. I still see you arguing as if pro-choice people don't consider a foetus a life, which is dishonest. The question is: "Is a foetus a person?".
To be logically consistent and say yes, you have to hold my position, that it should always be treated as murder.
Killing a life doesn't make something murder. See eating meat, and see warfare.

So don't come accusing anyone of logical consistency, when you are being inconsistent yourself. I am sure you wouldn't accuse someone who kills to defend himself of murder, or someone who lures an enemy in a ambush in war-time of murder, or a butcher slaughtering a pig of murder. Killing a life is not murder. For what it takes to be murder, I refer to Kiwitt's post.

The part of my post you initially to was me responding to Brighteye who mentioned "potential". I just restated that. Either way, it doesn't matter, because either you're talking about what is, in which case an embryo is a human whilst a skin cell isn't, or you're talking about "potential", in which case an embryo has the "potential" to become a human left alone to develop (if you don't perceive it to be one already) while a skin cell does not. Either way, you arrive at the same conclusion.
I assume that this has been answered already, but if you haven't seen someone reply, let me know.

There is no environment which will turn a skin cell into a baby. None, what-so-ever, and you are more than welcome to prove me wrong (in case you're wondering, the most you can do is take an adult stem cell and, for lack of a better word, "revert" it back to the embryonic phase). And, to repeat myself again, a skin cell is a somatic cell. A somatic cell is literally any cell which comprises the body, aside from germ(line) cells. They are part of the individual, not the individual within themselves.
Now you're talking practical ability. There almost certainly is an environment which will turn any defined cell into a person, but we don't know what it is for most cells.

Hardly. You've claimed, on more than one occassion, that the unborn at all stages aren't humans as the term "human" has moral meaning. This is false and forever will be false. No point was made for you, but a point was made against you.
I have claimed that in so far as the word human has moral meaning, things that are not sentient are not human. I have done this in ways including attempting to define my usage of the word 'human' as being the biological meaning of the general usage, and 'a human' as being the moral meaning.
Most people let context show which they mean, and hence it is possible to claim that embryos are not human because in that context the meaning meant is the moral meaning.
When you call such people hypocritical you are misinterpreting their meaning. 'Proving' them wrong with quotations from embryologists about what you have quite convincingly shown to be an accepted biological meaning does not prove them wrong at all. It merely draws attention to multiple meanings of the word.

Answer me this: how can the word "human" only have a biological meaning in philosophy, yet human simultaneously be a philosophical question? How can philosophy, in which the word "human" only has a biological meaning, require personhood, as that would mean that the word "human" doesn't only have a biological meaning, but something beyond that. Huh? Huh??? Huh?!?!?!
Playing with my various contrasting attempts to make the point in different ways doesn't win me round. If you wish me to rephrase with the most recent definitions:

Abortion hinges on defining personhood.
Personhood is a philosophical issue.
When considering this issue, 'human' has only biological meaning.
In general speech, 'human' frequently substitutes for 'person'.
'Human' therefore has two meanings.
I initially started using it in both contexts, before attempting to split the two meanings.
Therefore I initially, along with most people, framed the philosophical issue as 'defining what it is to be human'.
You have defined what it is to be human quite adequately, but only for the biological meaning, which is the philosophical usage of the word.
You have not defined personhood, except to assume that it is the same as being human (biologically). It seems to me, therefore, that you are confusing your terms, by not recognising the difference between the biological meaning of 'human' and philosophical personhood, which in general speech are covered by the same word: 'human'.
I have consistently, and increasingly clearly, tried to question the assumption that these are the same. You have taken every opportunity to avoid addressing this point, which leads me to believe either that you simply do not understand it, or that you are not interested in truly engaging in debate, which would lead you to address people's points, but that you want to win political and rhetorical points in an arena where such things are not possible. That you have consistently been rude, as though you hoped to bully me away from a discussion rather than persuade me or reason with what I have said, suggests too heavy a reliance on feelings, rather than thought.

You've backtracked and contradicted yourself left and right. I don't understand how you don't see this.
What you call backtracking I call attempting a different way of making the same points, which I have reiterated here. I initially responded to your suggestion that people cannot call an embryo human and without rights. I have made the point a number of times that this is perfectly possible, due to differences between general, biological and philosophical usage of the word. The point remains.

Nor, coincidentally, does re-phrasing indicate a bad position. If two people have never thought about things before, and engage in discussion, both might suggest things that they have to rephrase. The final position could well be stronger. A position with the same weaknesses which is merely repeated without adjustments might win political debate, but hasn't got anywhere good in sensible debate.

Wikipedia says thisNote it specifically says " ... At common law a fetus was not a human being. Life began when the fetus passed through the birth canal and took its first breath ... "

So it is not murder, as you emotively phrase it.

It turns out that common law for centuries has said what I have said, and used 'human being' as person, not just in biological context. Perhaps I'm not being so weird after all.

Also, while I am certain a baby cannot feel at conception, I highly doubt it takes as long as you all think. It has a spinal cord at 23 (I think) weeks, so it has to be able to feel by then.
23 weeks is six months. Do you have any idea how many abortions happen that late? Almost none. If a pregnancy gets that late the woman has already decided to carry to term. At that point if she's aborting it's not because she wants to, but usually because there's a serious health risk and doctors have advised that the chances of the potential child surviving are less than the chances of severe harm to the mother.

Wikipedia says thisNote it specifically says " ... At common law a fetus was not a human being. Life began when the fetus passed through the birth canal and took its first breath ... "

So it is not murder, as you emotively phrase it.

I don't care what Wikipedia, or the law says. The Nazis said killing Jews wasn't murder, but that was crap it still was murder.

I don't want to debate what the law says. I know what they say. I am saying they are WRONG.

I don't want to debate what the law says. I know what they say. I am saying they are WRONG.
Why not debate the law.

As it says it is "common", i.e. the majority view (of legal experts and judges). I'm no expert in common law, but I would think what they have agreed and use are very good principles that stand the test of time. These people have determined what is right or wrong through centuries of debate. So unless you disagree with these many thousands or even millions of people, you are the one who is wrong.

Saying it "they are wrong", does not make it so. Also a quick scan of abortion laws around the world, most countries do not allow "on request".

You do realise that most of the world doesn't use common law, right? :huh:

The U.S doesn't either. Or laws are just based off of common law just like yours is.

Yes ... I used "common law" as an example. As the majority of people here are or should be familiar with it, including "Dominator3000".

"Murder" is a word that should not be just bandied about.

They need to do way instain mother who kill thier babbys becuse these babby cant frigth back? it was on the news this mroing a mother in ar who had kill her three kids . they are taking the three babby back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden i am truley sorry for your lots

What happened to your typing, Useless?

Who are the fifteen people who say "Abort a baby, anytime. Kill a cow, Never!"

I'll never understand that logic.

Who are the fifteen people who say "Abort a baby, anytime. Kill a cow, Never!"

I'll never understand that logic.
Well, I suppose it's not all fair to expect all of us to understand the basic distinction between "foetus" and "baby". It's only central to a pro-choice position, so it's clearly not very important. :rolleyes:

So why not call it genocide?

The appeal to emotion is even stronger there.

Well, in countries like North Korea where it is forced in cases, I would count them amongst their genocide record yes.

Merely allowing it can't be genocide, because it is not the government doing it, merely the government allowing it.

Its arguable that as a whole our nation is guilty of genocide though. But not any one person.

Why not debate the law.

As it says it is "common", i.e. the majority view (of legal experts and judges). I'm no expert in common law, but I would think what they have agreed and use are very good principles that stand the test of time. These people have determined what is right or wrong through centuries of debate. So unless you disagree with these many thousands or even millions of people, you are the one who is wrong.

Saying it "they are wrong", does not make it so. Also a quick scan of abortion laws around the world, most countries do not allow "on request".

Well, I'm seeing India and China allowing it. That's almost half the world right there. Add in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, South Africa, Russia, exc. and you've already got half of the unborn eligible for legalized killing.

Now, I know what you meant, more than half of the SOVEREIGN NATIONS don't allow it, but that's not very useful of a comparison.

Well, in countries like North Korea where it is forced in cases, I would count them amongst their genocide record yes.

Merely allowing it can't be genocide, because it is not the government doing it, merely the government allowing it.

Its arguable that as a whole our nation is guilty of genocide though. But not any one person.
That is not even remotely close to what "genocide" means.

Well, I'm seeing India and China allowing it.
I think, those two particular countries would not want to have too many restrictions on abortion given their already large populations. Any contribution to that cause would be helpful.

I still believe most "free-thinking" countries should allow it, and a scan of the list finds this is so as well. Given that the world is on the midst of a population crisis, (i.e. many of the current world's problems could be traced to this one fact), any method for reducing the rate of increase should be welcomed.

Top Bottom