Absolution 4: Tabula Rasa

Before anyone happens to come after me with pitchforks and torches, I did get my orders in on time.

Update Soundtrack: Tech N9ne's Dysfunctional

-

Pirate sensibilities and the respect of foreign sailors for the banner of the Seasworn kept the goods of the pirating clan safe as they were sent to the most distant corners of the earth. With furs returning from the far North, Glass from the distant Rivers where the Stone Worshippers had secured a final victory, Furniture from the other end of the Sea,

But the ambitions of the Seasworn could not be limited to a single body of water, no matter how vast or well positioned, and so alongside the Iberion island bases and their colony of Afrikus a new landing was claimed and the banner was raised over the Seasworn colony of Atlantis.

A scrollof Tatuan Epic Poetry, translated to Saturan and even Urian has greatly expanded the knowledge of the Seasworn, some ambitious traders have even gone so far as Persia and returned with emissaries and diplomats. Some of them have even tried to convert people in Queen's Harbor to their strange faith.

It is not that Zorrkanism is unheard of in Queen's Harbor, there is a very tight knit society of Zorrkanists, but they work in the mines as slaves taken from Zorrkanist ships during raids. But with the other dark omens on the horizon many of the highest advisors are worried that the people will seek comfort in Zorrkanist remedies for the pestilence that the seafaring peoples have spread throughout the Mediterranean.

They call it Zulep's Boils, and the Zorrkanists claim to have proven methods for dealing with it, but the Persians demand conversion before they will share their medicines.

The plague has decimated the population and blunted efforts to modernize and reform Seasworn society, in many places the pirates refuse to set sail out of fear that they will catch a plague ship and doom their own crews.

But sailors in the Royal Navy have devised a solution of their own, pouring Rum into any open wounds obtained during a raid on a potentially diseased ship. It hurts really bad, so it must be working. It has also significantly reduced infection rates in the navy and army.

There was a slight problem with the import of furs, as furs are much too heavy to wear in the Mediterranean, but the tanners of the Seasworn confronted this problem heroically and claim that the "Boarding parties of the future will armor themselves exclusively with leather from the fiercest beasts of the North."

A Courthouse was added to Queen's Harbor as well, a tribute by Edward to the Reign of his Grandmother. The survivors of the plague are very well ordered.

A possible alternative to the so called solutions of the Zorrkanists have arisen from massive tribes of refugee Etruscans from the north who have already been thinned by disease are more than willing to work in the cities of the Seasworn and replace the many workers who have been lost to plague in exchange for the protection of an Army and any medicines that the Seasworn have available.

The landings in Greece have brought rumors from north of the Balkan mountains. Tales of an Ancient land that once ruled the barbaric North in a long lost hegemony spread throughout the sea lanes, and capture the hearts of many an adventurer who has begun to explore the Black Sea for evidence of the ancient ruins.

(The Seasworn: +Economic Expansion, +Courthouse (Queen's Harbor), +Paper Ledgers (2/20), +Trade Good (Rum), +1 Social Cohesion, +6 Reputation)

-

To the South a headlong effort was made against the plague, and from the second Golden Council emerged a plan for a massive Aqueduct to carry water throughout the whole land, encouraging regular washing and providing clean water to even the most distant Saturan encampment.

Investigations were made into the origins of the disease, in the ancient city where it was first discovered, how had these people dealt with it? Some "medicines" were discovered but they seemed more interested in ending the suffering than curing the disease. The Inquisitors have shown a lot of interest in these potent poisons.

Aktenset was established in the south.

In Nubia Malach has grown old and weary, and many blame the influence of his 'foreign' Queen. The old man does take her advice quite seriously and when the Saturan emissaries arrived offering a renewal of vassaldom she began to make demands, and Nubia refuses to rejoin unless those demands are met. They include stipulations that Nubian exports and the imports exchanged for them must be put towards the Nubian economy, and that Nubian soldiers will only be used for defense and not for the Prime Citizen's foolish and poorly strategized foreign wars. They claim that if the Land of the Sun had been given money to spend on it's own instead of waiting for Saturan forces then the War of the Rivers would have gone quite differently, and they have no intentions of allowing such a defeat to befall them.

A similar Saturan expedition to vassalize Magan found that disease striken country in too much disarray to even submit to the Prime Citizen.

(Satura: +Economic Expansion, +Grand Aqueduct, +Aqueduct (Lotalogas), +Forge (Iruba), +Library (Iruba), +Paper Ledgers (6/20), +Trade Good (Snake Oil), +4 Social Cohesion, +7 Reputation)

-

The Soldiers stationed in Persia pushed for the Persians to close their gates to Caravans and to foreign traders, but the High Priest of that land refused to listen and now his lands are filled with pestilence, many soldiers fear that the trade routes from Persia will soon bring the boils to the Dragon's Empire.

The Soapnuts are a hopeful sign if this disease does reach the border, cleanliness seems to be good prevention. Saturans are a dirty people.

To the North the Siege of Ulanbaatar continued, with most of the Khan's remaining forces destroyed in the early phases of battle. The final spearman proved a hearty defender though, besting swordsmen both of Shang and of the Dragon before being defeated.

With the loss of their capital and the decimation of their army the Khanate is no more, one small group of Horsemen have retreated to the West, but the men of the East have taken to calling them 'The Tin Horde,' because of their weakness and humiliation, they have no Khan to defend them.

A new land was discovered to the South, vast and unforgiving it seems much too large to be an island, but it also appears inhabited, with various catapults firing at the Galleys charged to explore for this new continent.

And the Imperial Office of Research and Records opened it's gates to the curious and the wise in Junjan, it has already paid off with a double bounty of research in it's opening days.

(Empire of the Heavenly Dragon: +Economic Expansion (2), +Parlor (Junjan), +Parlor (Janji), +Parlor (Bia Xi), +Library (Baejoi), +Engineering (7/15), +3 Social Cohesion, +3 Reputation)

In the Empire of Shang the expansion of the trade routes brought great wealth, and that funding went to prepare the Shang army for their vengeance. With minimal casualties Ulanbaatar fell and only a small group of Horsemen were able to retreat, the so called Tin Horde flees to the West in terror.

The secrets of Subterfuge have been taken from the conquest of the Khanate, allowing the Shang to build Agents and prepare for the threat of espionage.

(Great Empire of Shang: +3 Swordsmen, +Subterfuge, +Trade Good (Gold), +1 Social Cohesion, +3 Reputation)

-

Map:

Spoiler :

-

Diplomacy….

Will also be postponed.

Spoiler :
OOC: What I find funny is that in the past, ALL profits from Nubian trade routes always went to Nubia already, and maybe even excess in fact. So they are asking for less than they get before- even worse, they are reducing the flexibility of this investment. And they didn't realize that we can build three times as many swordsmen than Land of the Sun could with the same amount of money. :p. This will be fun.

Good update!

EDITOOC: Having my characters slowly dying of age makes me sad. :(

To King Malach and Queen Sheba of Nubia
From Trajan, King of Waset and Prime Citizen of Satura

These are your terms? You ask for reduced flexability of spending and the requirement that your famously brave soldiers only fight in the defensive, at home?

I see no problem with that. People have their idiosyncracies and I respect them.

Come, "Uncle" Malach, let us embrace once again as family and chart a single course to the stars. Come "Aunt" Sheba, let us unite the families of Waset of Nubia in symbol of this new union. Nubia has always been, and always will be, an equal partner with all the Kingdoms of Satura, I guarantee that.

Nice update, and finally, the Khanate has been annihilated! :D

First: I have no PM space, and all the PMs I have right now are quite important until I finally finish my update.

Second: sorry for this
1 Longship+1 Swordsman will head west, and set up the colony of Aktenset at the easternmost point we can find

Then, since I apparently sailed west across the entire world to settle Aktenset at the other side of Africa as eastward as possible, I demand a map of the Americas!

(it was supposed to be west of Zulappi's annoying southern thrust, near Afrika. You know; west, Akten(sun) set? Not going across the entire world going westward, or disobeying and going all the way south around Africa? :p)

Head West and then find the easternmost point!

Wow, my bad. But the phrasing was a little confusing and I am sorry about my misinterpretation.

I have no idea what you WERE going for though, was it the Azores or somewhere in Europe?

You're going to end up in South Africa, instead of invading the Iberion colony of Afrikus, the Zulappi province of "WhateverEltainWantsToNameIt" or the Seasworn colony of Atlantis.

That would have made things more interesting, in the West, my bad.

To: Satura

Hello! What are you doing here?

-

EDIT: Map fixed.

EDIT: Saturan part of update.... fixed... or should I say.... amputated.

Hey,

OCC
I let you keep those because they were just expansion and not part of the Khan's lands ever. I can give those lands to Shang if you want, but I didn't see it as necessary.

It was a agreement between the Emperors. I would send a Army and any land gained on the march was to be Shang Empire lands. I have put it twice so Tycho believes me. :D

Top Bottom