Acken's Minimalistic Balance for singleplayer (and AI improvements)

So the development stopped in 2016, right (v8)? The Community Patch seems to be actively developed and it also changes many things for AI.

At this point in 2021, what mod is better for AI, this one or Community Patch or Community Patch + VP ?

Last edited:
anyone knows if there is any repo with sourcode for this mod? I want to port v8 dll to aspyr version, I'm doing with a decompiled dll, having the source code would be better :) or any way to contact the author

anyone knows if there is any repo with sourcode for this mod? I want to port v8 dll to aspyr version, I'm doing with a decompiled dll, having the source code would be better :) or any way to contact the author
Looks like the source code is available on github here: https://github.com/rezoacken/minimalistic_balance_civ5

I'm looking at doing some micro adjustments to this mod for an unofficial v9 that I've been playing with on my own. I probably will not do any DLL changes, purely XML/SQL.

The goals would be to look at:
- Civ-specific UA/UU/UBs, primarily with an emphasis on buffing weaker civs. For example, the proposed Iroquois longhouse buff (restore +10% modifier) never made it in. Likewise, several lower-tier civs could use some love.
- Late game wonders (Cristo, Firewall)
- Potentially look at stealth bomber balance
- Naval promotion paths (privateer to ironclad, battleship to missile cruiser)

I'm open to suggestions and curious whether there's interest in publicly posting these changes as well as if there's any active AMB players that would have feedback or suggestion or would want to do testing

Hi everyone. I've discovered the mod some weeks ago and wow, it's great! The perfect AI rework so far in my experience.
Just something I noticed that migth be a bug: there's a city state that built a trading post on a tile that's not adjacent to a luxury resource. Is that ok?

That doesn't seem correct, do you have a screenshot? Is it possible it's adjacent to an Ocean luxury or a luxury that was settled on?

Thanks for your answer, it seems you were right, they settled on a luxury.

Another question: is it possible to somehow edit the mod so embarked units aren't powerful? It's so ridiculous that a trirreme can lose a battle against an embarked spearman...

Yes, you can remove (or edit) the first line in the mod files. In Combat Changes/Units.sql the first line says UPDATE Eras SET EmbarkedUnitDefense=EmbarkedUnitDefense*2;. You can delete this line completely to revert embarked combat strengths to the base game values, or edit it to a different number if you'd like.

You can find the mod files in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS\Acken's Minimalistic Balance (v8)

Another question, AMB players, hope you can help me in your strategies: I hate the super aggressive AI and the extreme difference in yield and population. I'm playing in difficulty nº4 and though the AI is much better and I like it a lot, I can't stand the fact that they always seem to try to attack you. I'm always like alert because I feel I'm going to get attack at any moment and when that happens, I'm usually crushed.
Also, the AIs seem to always have like the double of population and more often than not much more science and culture. What does the mod do? How is it that there's such a big difference? How do you deal with it?

Top Bottom