Adding Canada to the civ world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it have to be Canada? What makes Canada so much better than Australia?

Belcarius said:
Why does it have to be Canada? What makes Canada so much better than Australia?

I wouldn't say it's better but it's certainly more important ... twice the population, much bigger landmass, much more natural resources, bigger economy, better dollar, higher per capita GDP, presides (with the US) over the world's largest cross-border trading, bigger peacekeeping/diplomatic legacy (eg Suez Crisis and Pearson and creation of UNEF or the Cyprus issue or Canada as the world's most active participant in UN ops etc etc etc), G8 membership (that's probably indicative right there - Aus is at the kiddie table in the G20 I think), etc etc etc

What makes us different? We have the best hockey players.

That Russian guy gets up, grab Master tyguy and beat him until he said Russia has the best players. But Master Tyguy is dead at this time...

Canadas got so many resources that if one went missing, no one would know.

searcheagle said:
I have heard that parts of Saskatchewan would be up for joining the US, but I would have never guess in Quebec.

"a propoganda campaign has upset the citizens of saskatchewan"

this was the only way the farmers could get the (liberal) federal goverment to the bargaining table, after the wheat board, a goverment controled system in ottawa, was giving poor prices for grain, while the goverment in ottawa were making a profit...

Saskatchewan is not a Liberal province
we were punished for being NDP and Conservative.

Farmers work hard and deserve to be first or second class citizens, not third class. Plus it didnt help knowing that if we took our grain south wed get a heck of alot more, then selling it back to our goverment.
(it is illegal for farmers to sell their own grain to anyone else but the wheat board)

everyone i know in saskatchewan would rather die, then become an american on their own soil, it was a risky move, but things did improve... abit, at least this time we were heard.

Being that I'm a great fan of Australia, I'm not going to make any arguments against it, but then, that's not what this thread is about.

Fox Mccloud said:
OMG!!! Where the heck do you live? :wow:

Get a map! Southern ontario is at the same latitude as northern California!

Erg! It upsets me so much that I feel compelled to respond to posts in this thread, even though it seems to have nothing to do with "civ4 suggestions!" . I'll say my peace and then leave this one alone:

1. Canada does not deserve to be in Civ4: I think even the most patriotic Canuck realizes that this is simply not in the cards! Love it, never want to leave it, but in terms of the the big picture of human civilization, face it, we're not there (yet!)

2. Ottawa is the Capital, and deserves it! As a proud former Ottawagonian (yes, that is the term!) I think Ottawa is and always shall be the perfect capital. Besides being somewhat central, the 4th largest city in our nation, and a beautiful place to live, it's position on the Ottawa river (straddling Ontario and Quebec) symbolizes the coming together of two founding cultures, french and english, not to mention the great cultural endowments of our first nations people, who also used the Odawa region as a meeting place of different groups.

3. The vast majority of Canadians don't want to join the US, or anyone else! If you look hard enough in any country, you'll find some nut that wants to secede, join some other country, or declare an independant republic in thier living room. It doesn't mean that it's going to happen! If some americans want to listen to fringe Albertans/Quebecers/whoever and beleive that they speak for thier country, that's fine, but I don't see it happening anytime soon!

4. Canada is independant! You can debate until the canadian cows come home on when exactly Canada became independant: 1867, Vimy ridge, the Balfour declaration, the signing of the new constitution...whatever! we have been making our own decisions for quite some time now! The fact that our Bills are signed by a representative of the queen, and that her lovely face graces our coins, doesn't really mean a thing!

5. Canada has a long and PROUD military history Maybe we don't start the wars, but we sure as hell show up! And clean up afterwards too! We have been lending troop support to other nations since the Boer war (and before that too, although it wasn't always our choice then...), even when there was no imminent danger to us, and stayed long after treaties were signed as peacekeepers and nation rebuilders. Despite the current state of our military, we still have lots of troops overseas helping keep the peace in some of the darkest places on the planet, like afghanistan and haiti, and we're proud of our peacekeeping military agenda! (and no, we were NOT in Vietnam, despite what some pundits might tell you!)

No disrepect to any americans or any other people of the world! Americans in particular are our neighbours, allies, and friends. Canada, however, is my home, and I'll never forget it! Sorry for the rant, and can we get back to the game, maybe?

I think u made a great statement che guava.
i voted green last election, and now they got the recognition of being a national party... thats what, 4.some million every four years, that they get? anyways, u better be looking at a political future che, cause u represent the people well.

Well said Che Guava. There is no chance that Canada will be in Civilization, that's that. At the same time though, "why not?" is a good question. Second largest country in the world, insane amount of resources, most stable government the world has ever seen, major player in both World Wars, healthiest economy on the planet, internationally recognized culture (art, music, literature) and yet we remain the only G8 nation not to make Civilization. It is a fairly interesting question. But your points are all dead on. I have to admit though, that I have never heard "Ottawagonian" in my life.

Searcheagle I'm not sure why it is okay for you to dismiss my country and its accomplishment and then get smug when I call you out on it. I simply don't think you doing a google search on Canada gives you the right to get on a pedestal about it. Don't dish it then step back.

mastertyguy/Himaha/frekk My sentence came out funny. Britain would not be included in a New World pack. I simply was pointing out that saying "Canada is too young to be a great civilization" is nonsense. What's the magic number that makes a nation mature? To borrow words from Johnny Depp, America is still a "puppy-dog", why are they the exception? As I said above, Canada is one of the longest running, stable democracies on the planet. I love Britain too. ;)

Captain Carnage Sorry, I'm new here. :)

To tone it down a bit, hypothetically speaking, what would you think Canada Civ would look like?
I'd say Commercial/Agricultural.
My unique unit would be a voyageur. No movement cost for rivers, maybe invisible in forests.

we are quickly becoming an industrial power... but commercial and agriculture sounds great.but definitley agriculture.

everytown on the prairies has a grain elevator.... kinda odd that their is nothing like it in civ 3 or civ 4...

even as a great wonder.

I would say "scientific" and "commercial," actually. "Agricultural" (in Civ III) means you have massive population growth, and that's just not Canada.
Anyway, any of them would fit except for "religious," "militaristic," and "sea-faring"

I really don't think Canada deserves to be in Civ. Maybe if we had like, 150 civs or something. Then you could fit it in there. =P

It's fun to play as if you're Canadian. I even modded it in to my first Civ 3 installation. But I really don't think it should be a default civ.

frekk said:
Well, England was a sole superpower right up to the mid-1930s or so. America didn't become a global power of any kind until after WW2.

In the year 1900, the USA had the largest economy in the world...and Germany was the leading industrial nation in Europe, and the most militarily advanced...and France wasn't far behind England in either. I really don't see how England was a sole superpower at all during anytime after 1900...

Janos said:
If we're talking in terms of army, then Britain's may be relatively small, but it is widely considered the best trained.

That's one amoung many brittish myths that they come up with, they have no validity at all to title themselves as 'the best trained' in anyway.

ive said it once ill say it agian....

CANADA IS THE SLEEPING GIANT.(like in civ3, where everything is going your way, but u decide to wait, and let ur country flourish, avoiding any war because all the resouces in the game are yours,,, then suddenly, an urge.... call it an instinct....but immediatley you start building Modern Armour, AGIS Cruisers, and Radar Artillery... and then we all now what happens next)

My point being, we got enough:
Food
Oil
Uranium
Coal
Diamonds
Fur
Iron
and Fresh Water
To be living comfortably for the next 1000 years.

And thanks to Global warming and all that crap none of us need, our country is getting bigger and becoming more resourceful.

Behold the Sleeping Giant

brinko said:
ive said it once ill say it agian....

CANADA IS THE SLEEPING GIANT.(like in civ3, where everything is going your way, but u decide to wait, and let ur country flourish, avoiding any war because all the resouces in the game are yours,,, then suddenly, an urge.... call it an instinct....but immediatley you start building Modern Armour, AGIS Cruisers, and Radar Artillery... and then we all now what happens next)

My point being, we got enough:
Food
Oil
Uranium
Coal
Diamonds
Fur
Iron
and Fresh Water
To be living comfortably for the next 1000 years.

And thanks to Global warming and all that crap none of us need, our country is getting bigger and becoming more resourceful.

Behold the Sleeping Giant

So then what do you do when someone decides to invade that has ten or more times your numbers??

Nyvin said:
In the year 1900, the USA had the largest economy in the world...

This is simply incorrect. The British economy was far larger, encompassing about a third of the planet's population, including several important markets, an enormous industrial base and possessing the most advanced industrial technologies in the world (such as the highly prized Bessemer Converters used in the Sheffield steel industry).

and Germany was the leading industrial nation in Europe,

Incorrect ... Germany was struggling because they did not have cheap access to the raw materials to facilitate a diverse industrial base, nor did they have the guaranteed preferential exports markets of the Commonwealth.

and the most militarily advanced...

Incorrect. In some respects they were advanced in others they were vastly inferior (for instance, simply compare the British use of tanks in WW1 to the German use of tanks). At any rate, the Royal Navy put them head and shoulders above everyone else ... the effect of a powerful navy on a global power's military prospects at that time was very similar to having overwhelming airpower today.

I really don't see how England was a sole superpower at all during anytime after 1900...

England wasn't. Britain was. It was the only nation on the planet with any force projection capabilities to speak of in 1900.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom