Adjust map size

hgp123

Chieftain
Hi all,

I've been having a hell of a time trying to change the Huge map to have a higher tile count. I have followed all the instructions I could find to adjust the iGridHeight and Width parameters along with modifying the map script which appeared to be overriding the Huge map setting. I'm playing the Steam version of BtS with no additional mods of any kind. There are two directories that appear to be relevant:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Assets

I have modified the relevant XML files in both folders.

Can somebody please step me through where I'm going wrong? This really shouldn't be this hard and I feel like I'm missing something simple.

Thanks!

First of all, it’s a really bad idea to modify the base line CIV4 XML files and map scripts. Please make a mod (by copying the relevant files and putting them there) which changes nothing but the map size.

Once a mod is made (again, one simply copies the directory structure and puts it in a Mods/mod name folder), follow along here.

The huge size is ultimately not determined by a constant in an XML file, but by the results of the getGridSize function. For example, this version of getGridSize always returns a 144 wide x 96 high map:

Code:
def getGridSize(argsList):
    return (36, 24)

Note that the numeric values are the map size divided by 4.

Some scripts do not use this function, instead they call map.getGridWidth() and map.getGridHeight(). These are defined in CIV4WorldInfo.xml with the names iGridWidth and iGridHeight (for each map size). Again, multiply by 4 to get the real map size, and many map scripts ignore these values.

Last edited:
Top Bottom