ADNES1: The Rood, The Roll and the Dragon

Do you have an interest in helping or playing a NES

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dumnonia, Turn 5: Consilium Regulae

Ambrosius' decision to send forth his loyal officers to make note of his holdings, meager as they were, was met by a certain amount of skepticism: riding out onto the old roads from Aquae Sulis into the cold winter night to take stock of every settlement and farm that bore fealty to him. However, this was one of the reasons Ambrosius had chosen these men in the first place; he had marched alongside them through the cold of winter while on campaign, and he knew of their ability to withstand a winter storm. He had faith in these comes, his loyal companions who he knew would be the foundation of finally restoring an administration to this land. As for why he'd sent them in the winter in the first place... that would soon be answered upon their returning.

The doors of that ancient basilica swung open, and his riders strode in, carrying scrolls and new records of his territory. Of course, this set of records was much less wide-ranging than the provincial-wide ones he'd had before, only covering a small slice of even the lands he nominally claimed lordship over, but proper knowledge of his territory would be vital to what he would do next. He ordered a fine dinner to be prepared, and he feasted with the men, learning of the tales of the record-making. Some of the men were more suited to this task than others, of course, but he knew each had their own talents: while all had some skill with war, having first served him as officers, he knew even a tribe needed more than just soldiers to be run effectively, much less an administration such as the one he planned to reforge. As such, as the feast wound down and Ambrosius took in the tales each man had spun, he thanked these loyal and skillful men for their many forms of service; first fighting alongside him at Badonicus Mons, then riding through snow and winter afterward to map out his domains. Surely, he remarked, such fidelity and loyalty deserved a reward, and he would need advisors and administrators to help rule these lands. The men leaned closer and listened in as Ambrosius decided...

Spoiler :

Lucius Antoninus had compiled a large part of the documents and records, clearly being suited as a chief surveyor of the lands Ambrosius sought to one day unite; as such, he would be appointed to the ancient office of Censor, charged with ensuring that Ambrosius' records remained up to date with further surveys of the land when needed. It was hardly a prestigious duty on paper, but Lucius was among the youngest of his comes and eager for adventure. Flavius Junius was a soldier and leader of men through and through: He had organized the militia of a costal village against any future Hibernian raids during his surveys. As such, he would be appointed as Ambrosius' Magister Millitum, the chief advisor and administrator of the realm's milita forces - and one day, he hoped, the legatus of a new Legion. This was a prestigious position for Junius, and he accepted it with gratitude. Gaius Crassus, just as his family's namesake, had a way with numbers and had immediately known when certain wealthy landowners had failed to pay their full taxes, and Ambrosius recalled the old tax system, where the duty of raising taxes was sold to the highest bidder with detriment to the overall wealth of the region. As such, Crassus was appointed Dispensator, and granted control over collecting taxes and construction, placed in charge of ensuring future building projects and tax revenues went smoothly. Such a position surely meant wealth for himself, so Crassus was delighted with this appointment.

Taurinus Agrippa was a smooth and capable public speaker and as such he would be appointed Orator, charged with speaking on Ambrosius' behalf not only to the people but also abroad, being the chief ambassador of Dumnonia to fellow Romans and engaging in dialogues with any other groups Ambrosius saw fit to negotiate with. Paulus Amadeus, on the other hand, was a very pious man, and a staunch advocate for the Christian faith. As he was popular among the local clergy and rumored to have been training to join it before the call to arms, he was appointed as Consilliaro Ecclesiae, the chief advisor to Ambrosius regarding matters of the Church and faith within the realm. Finally, there was Titus Summanus, a man knowledgeable on many things but also a valiant close combatant. Ambrosius would appoint him as Satellitum, his personal bodyguard and general advisor. After all, he had no intention of letting any assassins snuff his plans before his time. Each man, he explained, would be allowed to refuse their appointments and peacefully retire if they wished - but each man saw the potential glory in these positions and chose to accept them. Ambrosius smiled.

As the advisors and aides Ambrosius had appointed and elevated retired to make preparations in moving to Ambrosius' new 'court', the man himself got to work reading over the records properly, taking in the full situation: but he had to admit, while he recognized the collapse of insitutions and structures of Roman rule as a byproduct of the fall of civilization, he soon came to realize just how many of the developments of the region had been dependent on the sense of order Roman steel had brought. All sorts of infrastructure had been looted and subject to disrepair, and with the locals looking to their own defenses, no one had time to repair broken bridges or old, decaying structures. While his humble realm was by no means the size and strength of the Empire, Ambrosius still had some of the tools of power and the knowledge of how to utilize them as only a Roman could. In addition, he also learned of some rumors regarding politics in nearby regions: namely, that to the western end of the peninsula a local warlord was consolidating control. While he was glad the region was being consolidated into powers more capable of fighting off barbarians, he worried that the ambitions of this new western neighbor might cause some conflict...

As the next day dawned, Ambrosius' council gathered before his throne, and he dispatched each of his men to take up their respective tasks: his Censor would verify the integrity of his records, the Magister Militum would take stock of Dumnonia's current reserves of both veterans and potential new recruits, and the Consilliaro Ecclesiae would gather support among the local churches. However, he ordered Taurinus and Crassus each to more important tasks.

After his considerations the night before and weighing his meager treasury and the many needs that his realm had, he decided that Crassus' first assignment would be to build a network of state granaries across the countryside as well as one in Aquae Sulis, each guarded by a few of Ambrosius' veterans. Ever since the Legions left and the influx of Roman solidus with it, grains and livestock had become the main indicator of wealth in Brittania, and between constant raids and especially the feast Ambrosius had held, it was starting to have a short supply. This infrastructure would be an important step in ensuring the agricultural wealth of the region and preventing theft; more food, in turn, meant not only boosting the region's wealth but also increasing population growth as well as easing the logistical burden when Ambrosius eventually once again went off to war. An army marches on its stomach, after all.

In addition, with the rising fiefdom of Kernow to the west, Ambrosius saw both a potential ally and a rival; despite their comparative lack of civilization when viewed by the inhabitants of Aquae, their rulership still claimed to be the sole inheritors to Roman rule. However, they had something Ambrosius knew would be useful, and that was mineral wealth. Their lands were rich in tin and other metals, and Ambrosius knew his lands would be enriched if he could procure some: as such, he dispatched Taurinus to try and negotiate a trade agreement with Lord Marcus. This, he hoped, would further enrich Dumnonia and foster cordial relations between the two realms. (@christos200)

Soon, all but Titus left for their assignments, and Ambrosius nodded to himself. Now all he had to do was wait, and as he held court in his basilica he had high hopes for when the men returned...

Last edited:
OOC: I must say @Danwar, I am really appreciating this play as a 'Roman Revival' I did not imagine such a nation before starting this game and its really fun to read, your writing and flavor is top notch. :hatsoff:

Failge Berraide has won over the warriors, the druids, and the common people of Meadh. But this is not the Meadh of old, but merely that which he inherited. While he travels north with half of the Oathsworn to finalize the alliance with Ulaidh, the other half call the banners, to raise the army which will restore the kingdom.

Action: Call the Banners with the Oathsworn and Raise an Army
Diplomacy: Failge Berraide will accept the invitations and visit Emain Macha himself.

Ok, lets try and get orders done this weekend please?

Connachta : @Gelion
Strength: 20/20
Leadership: Dauí Tenga Uma mac Briúin
Capital: Sligo
Religion: Christian
Colour: Orange
Diplomacy: Ravenna +1
VAM: Greek monk hermitage in residence

Spoiler action :

Try and convince two neighbouring southern province leaders to join up based on common faith (and our authority in it) and marriage proposals to local leaders.

Orders are simple. Pray, continue the massive cathedral, and send priests to all nations around to proselytize.

For personal reasons unrelated to CFC I will not be able to continue playing in this great NES. I am sorry, but it cannot be helped. :(

Tik-tok! tik-tok!

I don't see any of these missing posters on CFC since before Xmas.. I do hope they come back. I'll do a mini-update with whatever we do have shortly...

Have to lazy orders, due to exams being earlier than I thought.

Lazy orders: Do trade. With Wales.

Update 5

A Viking Raid! And in such numbers! The petty Irish tribes could not resist this new foe. Their small bands of warriors were soon vanquished and the settlements set ablaze.

First the North Men fell on Dumonia, and Ambrosius, who wept in his chamber. He dare not step out for those that remained would surely cut him down. From Dumonia they sailed round the coast, catching Mumha's unguarded trading fleets in harbour. A frenzy of bloodlust as they fell upon these nascent trade posts. They were not satiated with the lives taken, Glory and Valhalla was within their grasp!

Round the coast the travelled, striking into land as they wished. Each time carrying off the spoils. Though hard fought, Eochaid lay bleeding, the fortification of Emain Macha burnt to the ground. The Druids of Uisneach and Grecian Monks alike tortured for sport.

The flickers of civilization were extinguished, just as fast as they had started.

-------------------------------

Apologies friends.

I am going to call it. I don't have the inclination, and I honestly don't feel there is enough interest to warrant the time needed to run this appropriately. Thank you for entertaining me for this brief spark in the embers. It made me happy to briefly revive NESing on CFC. I apologise to those who had dreamt the NESer dream of growing an Empire and seeing it to fruition. Instead we only have the lamentation of your subjects.

Curses, another one dies on me.

Understandable. I'm personally still entertaining myself with the idea of starting a NES sometime in the future, but I'm not sure just yet. Hopefully we will have another one come up soon regardless of who starts it!

Sad to see this one go, but it had 4 updates which puts it above quite a few other NESes. Out of curiosity what were people's plans for this game? Mine was to create a new branch of Christianity and to use it to convert parts of the island and later Scotland (as it was done IRL by the Irish). I also had a Roman storyline based on my Viking Conquests play through, but it didn't go anywhere after a while.

Sad to see this one go, but it had 4 updates which puts it above quite a few other NESes. Out of curiosity what were people's plans for this game? Mine was to create a new branch of Christianity and to use it to convert parts of the island and later Scotland (as it was done IRL by the Irish). I also had a Roman storyline based on my Viking Conquests play through, but it didn't go anywhere after a while.
My plan was basically just Get Rich. Initial plan was to make Ireland fully paganized too, but realpolitik with my lovely neighbour made me reconsider. Gold over faith; pay me enough and I will pray to any statue of your choosing :D

Top Bottom