Advice for promoting webshows and YouTube channels

Tommy Vercetti

The Don
I watched two of your videos on your main channel. The very loud noise at the start of each is terrible. normally, that would have made me stop right there. Your videos were just pictures of the label. If you want to engage people and keep their interest; you need to show your self and create a bit of a story. Sit there at a table or counter with the 4 pack. As you take one can out and get ready to try it, talk a bit about why you trying it and how it fits into your soda video theme. Take you sip. Think a few seconds and offer some initial response to the flavor, the bubbles; take another sip. How does that compare? Any after flavors or effects? Pause the video message about finishing the entire can. Go back live after you have finished the can and follow up with a final opinion. Talk about the ingredients? You will likely be your brand so you need to make this personal and perhaps quirky. show your personality through your attire, the background, some background music.

Whatever that loud noise is, it has to go. Nobody is going to stick around after getting that racket in their eardrums.

Be prepared to sell your soul when your channel gets big enough to be partnered. If you say or show anything that wouldn't be suitable for kindergarten, you're getting demonetized.

I watched a wrestling one. It had the same terrible loud bang at the start. You need to improve (on both sites) the quality of your voice recordings.

After watching a soda review and a few minutes of a let’s play Kaiserreich, here are my thoughts off the seat of my pants:

(1.)—sound. agree with the others immediately on cutting the sound with the logo. From a design perspective, I’d cut out the colored font and simplify the logo. If you want an intro, I’d have it be relevant to the channel content and animated, maybe the hawk picks up the helmet? Some channels have intros that are too long, so I’d keep it under ten seconds.

(2.)—commentary. ABC. Always. Be. Closing! I mean, commenting. It’s like radio, “once the red light is on, just start talking,” said David Letterman when he was interviewed on Tom Snyder. The click sounds for the game, they can be muted.

(3.)—sound balance. The gameplay sounds are louder than your voice. If you can separate the audio tracks and voice, I’d tune the game sounds down to about half or a third of the volume of your voice.

(4.)—who’s your audience? Cola fans? Game fans? I think focus is lacking a bit, and I’d say that if you want to do more of the cola reviews, I‘d agree with @Birdjaguar in adding more commentary and video. If you go for more video, check the lighting because the one I saw was pretty dark.

(5.)—perhaps most importantly, who are you doing it for? Are you doing it for you, or to try and monetize? There’s not much money in cola unless you’re selling it, and 20-year-old games aren’t going to be big pulls unless you go for the real classics and not the esoterica of Paradox. I say that as a Darkest Hour player myself because my old computer is… old. If you want to make money, I think you’d have to find something that is either (a.) more relevant to today’s game players and/or (b.) build the brand around you and being interesting.

I watched a video on YouTube that stressed putting out a large volume of videos consistently for a few weeks. Something to do with getting the YT algorithm to bump your videos near the top of viewers suggested watch lists.

Other than that you need to create content which displays your personality traits and appeals to your target audience.

I've got a channel but just don't have the time to get it to a point where it will grow. So in other words, you need to put in a lot of time in order to reap the fruits of your labor.

Other than that you need to create content which displays your personality traits and appeals to your target audience.
Yep. Not that I have a channel (someone suggested I do a Handmaid's Tale one, but honestly... no. Not really into that).

But a friendly, interesting personality is one reason why I keep going back to some people's channels, whether they're about history, Harry Potter, or some guy who reacts to stuff about Canada (there are two of them - an American and a Scottish guy). You also need to sound very enthusiastic about your subject.

Any ideas? One channel, I am doing Let's plays and trying sodas and plan on having a variety channel. On a second channel, which I have on its own in fear of copyright strikes I am targeting a niche but passionate fan base, that being CAW leagues/Virtual wrestling.

My main channel

My wrestling channel

Any input or advice is welcome.
Do you watch and listen to your videos in full, imagining you are the audience, before posting?

Any ideas? One channel, I am doing Let's plays and trying sodas and plan on having a variety channel. On a second channel, which I have on its own in fear of copyright strikes I am targeting a niche but passionate fan base, that being CAW leagues/Virtual wrestling.

My main channel

My wrestling channel

Any input or advice is welcome.
Use relevant tags in the description as well as write down the description and title carefully because that will determine the availability of your videos. And consider changing that opening, or if you can't do it at the platform, edit it and re-upload.

And Hygro's point is very much the back-bone. If you see it objectively as if you are the consumer yourself and you like it, then upload it, even then others might not like it.

As for audience interest... I'd be interested in people talking about various kinds of pop (what you call colas) because I don't drink coffee (am currently working my way through a can of Coke Zero Cherry). I noticed another of your videos about Dr Pepper Strawberries & Cream. I've tried the diet version of that (I'm diabetic so regular pop is something I can't have anymore) and it's fantastic. So here's a suggestion if you continue this: Don't ignore the zero-sugar variants. Yes, they taste different from the regular. But they're still not bad. And you might get viewers that you wouldn't get otherwise.

But the first thing to do is kill that intro. It's awful.

Speaking from experience, avoid politics if you can.

I am considering some ideas for a new intro, what to use.

Here it is, thoughts?

Attachments

• New Warhawk Studios Intro.rar
    823.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sorry, no. It looks like your target audience is hardcore gamers who are guys. I enjoy a good game of Civ and numerous board games, and I'm a woman. Your intro just doesn't appeal. Even the music is irritating.

If I were to watch something to get your views on a new kind of pop, I'd skip the intro.

Top Bottom