African War Elephant, Pictish Warrior?

Iconian

Chieftain
I've been looking for where the African Forest Elephant and Pictish Warrior are defined by the game, but I can't find the information for them. I checked in DLC>Expansion2>Gameplay>XML>Units, and searched all three units files for them, but to no avail. I've located the information for the Mongols, Spanish, Inca, Polynesians, Danish, Koreans, and Babylonians, but I am at a complete loss for where the information for these two units is being stored. Looks like I can't find info for the Mayan Atlatlist either.

Does anyone know where the info for these units is stored by the game?

Last edited:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\Units\CIV5Units_Expansion.xml

UNIT_CELT_PICTISH_WARRIOR
UNIT_MAYAN_ATLATLIST
UNIT_CARTHAGINIAN_FOREST_ELEPHANT

A SQL database viewer program is also useful in that you can quickly search game tables for the correct designations of things. The modded game database is found at
~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache/Civ5DebugDatabase.db
Using SQLite Viewer to open and alphabetically sort the Units table to find the correct XML designations for these units and then using those in AgentRansack to search the game files took me about a minute and a half to find the correct file.

It's all about having the correct tools and a little bit of experience using them to quickly find any game database info you are interested in.

Note: the XML code in the game's files is translated into SQL commands and then inserted into the unified SQL database mentioned.

Like Agent Ransack, database viewer programs are free to download. most people use SQLite Studio or SQLite Browser

Yeah, I've been avoiding SQL and LUA . . . this has been more of a hobby project for me, and thus far I've gotten it almost done with just using the XML files. But SQLite Viewer, SQLite Studio and SQLite Browser? Where would I download them? Are they difficult to learn?

And thank you, by the way! I thought I'd searched in the "Expansion" folder . . . I'm thinking I searched in the Units file but not Units_Expansion.

You don't really need to learn anything to use a database viewer program. When you open the debug database file with an SQL database viewer program it will look very much like a spreadsheet. There will be a "Browse Data" or "Browse Tables" tab (or a tab with a very similar name) which you can use to select the game-table you want to inspect. The info on all rows that were added to that table would then be displayed in the "spreadsheet".

An excerpt from my Civ6 modding guide (this applies for Civ5 also)
Spoiler :

Modding is far easier if you have available to you certain tool programs. None of the following tools cost you anything to download but they are all very useful each in their own way:

1. An SQL database viewer program. Any such program will do. You do not need any specific SQL database viewer program. I use SQlite Browser. Other experienced mod-makers use and swear by other database viewer programs. https://sqlitebrowser.org/
2. Notepad++. The version of Notepad that comes with most computers (ie, plain Notepad) does not always properly display the game’s various error logging files. Trust me, you will need to be able to view error log files. Notepad++ also has many additional built-in features to simplify searching through a file, etc. For example, it recognizes SQL, XML, and lua code and can highlight errors within such files. Notepad++ also has multi-file search capabilities and can be used instead of a seperate search program such as Agent Ransack. https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.8.html
3. A Search program. I use Agent Ransack. Any similar program will do. It is often convenient to look for all occurrences within a mod of a given string of text. Search tools can quickly inspect all the files within your mod’s folder(s) and report for example every file that contains the incorrectly-spelled text YEILD_FOOD. I also use Agent Ransack to quickly search through the game’s base files for all usages of text strings. This is especially useful to me when I want to see exactly how the Firaxis designers coded or used something in an XML, SQL, or lua file. https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download/

Thank you both. I downloaded AgentRansack, which seems quite effective and have used it a couple times now. But I did a search for "zoo" in the Assets folder, trying to find the zoo building, but I can't find where the building is defined. So I downloaded the building file whoward69 linked to, and the zoo isn't in there either . . . any ideas where the creators hid it?

Top Bottom