After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

Never knew that. It didn't occur to me that on every landmass you need a coastal city to allow trade to other continents, and I never build forts so I didn't know they can allow trade connections. Those things are actually pretty useful, funky, but useful.
Strictly speaking there are two ways to connect trade networks from land to water, either via a city adjacent to coast, or through a rivers. Rivers only need to be roaded to (with Sailing of course) and foreign cities belonging to civs you aren't at war with count so issues rarely arise.
Forts for this, and a few other purposes (CR and CG promos!) count as a city, and even work in neutral lands. I'll look for an old pic or build something in WB as an example of where you might want to use a fort for this purpose.

EDIT-
Here you go. An island with resources to collect that are inside of the BFC of a city on another landmass, but isn't worth sticking a new city on.
Spoiler :
The fort just outside the border 1N f the horses is providing a route for the copper and horse.

Ok, now I'm confused. Why would you need a fort to gain access to the horses and copper if they're inside the BFC? If those to tiles have improvements built on them ( I.E. I sent a worker to the island to improve those tiles), doesn't that give me the resources if it's in my BFC?

Your city can still utilize the tile bonus from those resouces, but will not be connected through the trade network in that scenario. That's where the fort comes in.

On the other hand I think there's no way to connect a resource on a 1x1 island - even if it's in the bfc of the city. happened to me few times actually ;)

On the other hand I think there's no way to connect a resource on a 1x1 island - even if it's in the bfc of the city. happened to me few times actually ;)

:confused: What are you talking about? Build a fort on it, that's what we've been saying the entire time!

:confused: What are you talking about? Build a fort on it, that's what we've been saying the entire time!

Sorry I meant if there's an improvement on that resource on the 1x1 island - for example a winery on 1x1 island with wine that resource is not connected even when it's in the bfc , the fort will of course connect it with the trade network but the city won't be able to reap the benefits (yield) from the tile improvement such as winery - so it's a choice between a tile yield or a connection to a network - I would build a winery if I had another sources of wine but if it would be the only one I had I'd build a fort.

Your city can still utilize the tile bonus from those resouces, but will not be connected through the trade network in that scenario. That's where the fort comes in.

Ah! My thanks for the clarification.

I'm shocked this caused so much confusion :eek:
AdamCrock said:
Sorry I meant if there's an improvement on that resource on the 1x1 island - for example a winery on 1x1 island with wine that resource is not connected even when it's in the bfc , the fort will of course connect it with the trade network but the city won't be able to reap the benefits (yield) from the tile improvement such as winery - so it's a choice between a tile yield or a connection to a network - I would build a winery if I had another sources of wine but if it would be the only one I had I'd build a fort.
If theres someone to trade an extra source of a resource with, then the resource is almost always more valuable than the tile yield. This is particularly true of a mediocre yield tile like wine.
The other option is to build a new city on top of the resource 1 tile island. Can be done even if its inside the BFC of a city on another landmass.
Just to cause more confusion!

This is all usefull information :) Recently I've discovered that I can allow mouse scrolling in windowed mode o.O :D

You can use the AI trade network to spread your religion to your own unconnected cities.

Spoiler :

So, there is more likelihood to spawn barbs if the hut is close to the AI? I never knew that.

Btw, I think your warrior is done for. ;)

I walked into a desert tile in the very early game and got a random event and discovered the location of all oil on the map.

Something new to me but probably not that new to most:

New cities can be founded less than 3 tiles away from an existing city if the new site is located on a different land mass.

Through the 12 pages and didn't find many major items that I hadn't read from cfc or from a local civ forum. So, why haven't i ever tried a Immortal game yet? :blush:

So, there is more likelihood to spawn barbs if the hut is close to the AI? I never knew that.

Btw, I think your warrior is done for. ;)
I don't think it's more likely. My recollection is that the goody hut results are independent of how close they are to a border (but that a hut opened by a border pop acts like a scout opening it.)

I don't think it's more likely. My recollection is that the goody hut results are independent of how close they are to a border (but that a hut opened by a border pop acts like a scout opening it.)
Yes. I've never seen a border pop spawn barbs, so I think you're right about that.

Oh, that would be horrible. One of those huts just outside of your capital, borders expand and boom, 4 or 5 barbs a couple tiles away from your unprotected city. Your only city.

The DLL is probably programmed somewhere not to do that. I have had barbs overrun my capital before I had warriors in it. I started with a warrior, built a worker first then another warrior. Before the warrior was finished, so was I. The barb was probably spawned from a goody hut by the AI, beat the AI warrior, then came after me. Short game. :(

Top Bottom