ROSTER:
-Aggie
-Microbe ---------> Just Played
-Melifluous ------> up
-CarlosMM -------> on deck
-Stuck as a Mac
-Jack Merchant
-yoshi74

Same arrangement still goes: if you haven't played yet and have the time, please post a 'got it' first and have fun :) (I will stick to the roster more after round 1).

Originally posted by microbe
So hold on Writing as late as possible I suppose (Joan should not be researching it as we could still trade it with Masonry). After that I guess we should go Map Making.

Absolutely! Don't sell Writing for whatever costs!

Originally posted by microbe
For the build, after Collosus we should build more curraghs to continue suicide exploration, and temple/granary (if we have the tech). After Philosophy we go MoM (which will triger our GA) and then Great Lighthouse.

More curraghs, yes! More suicide? No way! There is a lot of land still undiscovered by our curragh that we can safely explore. I think two curraghs more should do it. And then we need a granary and a temple. After that we may just as well switch to wealth. That is not a waste, but rather it helps us to boost income. Also, if it were me I would wait with a granary/temple until we have a good deal with ai's without sacrificing research (gpt payment) or giving up Writing.

So next research indeed in Philo (Republic as free tech), and then Map Making (for the harbor and Lighthouse), Literature (for Libraries and the Great Library). Other vital improvements will be a marketplace. Wonders are nice, but will eventually give us issues (a lot of culture). So only the real important ones should be buillt. Having a few Dromons later on can't hurt either, to guard our coast.

Originally posted by Aggie

More curraghs, yes! More suicide? No way! There is a lot of land still undiscovered by our curragh that we can safely explore.

True. The left pink circle in my map is actually safe to go.

(1) curragh goes towards france
(2) colossus done, curragh ordered
(3) mm for more tax
(4) now neg income as curragh is done.
(5) research down 10% for +/-0 per turn, CoL takes 9 instead of 8, anotehr curragh done. meet France, they have Mas, CB, IW and lack writing. not 2fer possible without sellign writing.
(6)
(7) last curragh for now, will run south towards the suicide place. Wealth selected, research up, CoL in 6 instead of 7.
(8) meet Egypt. How considerate to have a warrior at the northernmost tip of the island south of france... they have all frontline techs but alphabet.
(9) WC. Mas, 10 GOld from Egypt for Alpha - I take it. Wheel and Pottery and 10 from US for Alpha. CB and 10 for Wheel from France :D. We start building a temple
(10)
(11)
(12) CoL found, res to Phil. in 13 at -1. Egypt looks big
(13) Temple done, lux down for even budget, granary started. WC and Pottery get us IW from France, Egypt is only back Writing, so is US. France as well now. There is iron on our island :D
A black border in sight!
(14) meet Shaka. lacks Mas, Alpha, CB. has 10 Gold - not met anyone yet?
(15)

thoughts: granary will be doen soon, Philo in 10 - quite obviously we should connect the Dyes, go to Rep ASAP.
sit on writing, get MM and prebuild Prys for Lighthouse.

the newfound lands:

and the save:
light the house!

Looking good for the Philo gambit :D The Pyramid-prebuild is a good idea (for any wonder we want to have and is available)!

I feel that in the ancient era only one wonder now is essential: the Lighthouse. That one will allow us to be the only civ with 5 movement ships while the others have 3 movement. We also can constantly avoid fighting by staying on the sea squares. Some Dromons will be very useful to keep our coast clean :)

The Great Library and Mausoleum are only nice to have imho (they both give us a GA, but a Dromon can do that as well). Both benefits are great (denial of tech versus content people). But culture could give us issues. We may just as well build the colosseum instead of the MoM . And that one can be sold if needed.

Other wonders only make Space more difficult. Despite their usefulness.

What do you all think of these ideas?

ROSTER:
-Aggie
-Microbe
-CarlosMM -------> Just played
-Melifluous ------> Up
-Stuck as a Mac --> On deck
-Jack Merchant
-yoshi74

Dromons are a must, and a wonder weapon if on sea - as they cannot be attacked :D also, we can time the GA wonderfully, bombaring a long as we do NOT want it, then kill a 1 HP galley once we DO want it.

agree on wonders, too. no more culture we can avoid!

I do think we should grab the Library [after the Lighthouse] as it may save us a great deal of money which we can use for rushing infra, founding embassies for later steals and save up for later tech deals. Also the MoM gives only 2 culture (no more than a colosseum) for one extra content citizen with no upkeep, plus later tourist income so it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Only issue is timing, but perhaps we can build the MoM after the Lighthouse so we get a GA in which to build the Library ?

Alternatively, get the MoM first after we go Republic, get the GA and use it for Lighthouse and Library ?

jack: agree on MoM, hadn't thought of tourism.

disagree on GA - we really should try to save it for later....

MAybe - but the only things we can do with GA production if we delay it is build a market & cathedral as we should be able to do a Dromon every two turns even without a GA.

Anyway, I got it and will start us on Lighthouse first then :).

Nice point, but that would mean avoiding both MoM and Library (seeing as Colossus is Seafaring now). With the money we'll save due to TGL we can easily rushbuy those imho and then prebuild for Cops'. One thought I had is we will want to research PP asap so as to sell around the contacts and increase the tech pace ?

Anyway, that's all still in the future: for now, we appear to be a lock for any WoW we care to build.

IHT: Trade the Americans IW for Mysticism as there doesn't seem to be a reason not to.
Bede calls us the most advanced civilization on the planet :D.

1525 BC (1) Meet the Sumerians over on the Zulu island; we're up Alpha, Wheel & IW over them,

1450 BC (3) Granary completes, start on Pyramids due in 29 - French start on it too.

1425 BC (4) Lose one curragh short before contact with a mysterious blue civilization in the South of the map (Germans ?)

1375 BC (6) Pick up Horseback Riding from Sumerians for Alpha. Luxes have to go up to 20% as Constantinople grows until Dyes come online. Philo now due in 2, nobody even has writing yet.

1350 BC (7) 2 Curraghs sink; we meet the Ottomans and are up writing, myst and HBR over them.

1325 BC (8) Philo comes in, so does Republic. We draw 5 turns of anarcy :ack:. Whatever happened to short anarchy periods for small empires ? Riots in the streets.

1300 BC (9) Order restored but riots due on alternating turns now so as not to lose the food supply we built up.

1200 BC (13) We emerge a Republic - riots somehow persisted from last round ? Anyway, seeing as no-one even has Writing yet I see no alternative but to research MM ourselves, and it is due in 11 at a 1gpt deficit (10% luxes, 80% science).

1150 BC (15) Our remaining curragh again goes to try to make contact with the Blue civ at the bottom of the map, which would be our last remaining contact. Keep your fingers crossed over the interturn :p.

1150 BC save

MM is due in 9 and we have built up 98 shields on our prebuild already; we are making 14, soon 17 spt (if we work another forest after growth) with 202 shields to go , which means we could slow MM down to arrive in ~14 turns instead of 9. On the other hand, we could continue to do max sci on everything, thus increasing our chances for an SGL.

jack: I do not see us save much money by the great lib - we will be too far ahead in our own research....

nice playing. 5 turns anarchy is indeed absurd! :ack:

I see I'm up. I'll play later this evening (play rehearsal). This sounds like it's gonna be a good one. Lighthouse should start in my turns. And I will not go Smeagol on it. No "My precious" this time.

Just a question: Is someone (not voulneteering myself) keeping a chart on culture out there? Just to be sure we don't hit anything acidentally. As you said, we can avoid the MoM by a Colloseum, skip TGLb as we're the tech leaders already. We just need TGLh so we can rule the seas and attack with our fleets of dro... sorry, thats AG1.

Got it
SaaM

Edit: IMHO with the GA, Skip the Ancient Age wonders that could trigger it. I like the idea of getting it by means of Cop's. To the point of TGLb, we don't really need it yet. By the time the AI catches up, we should be in the middle ages. Also, after we do TGLh, we should reall really really work on a small army. The AI just loves to try to pick me off when I do solo games like this.

Well, there are two more scientific civs in the game (other than us) so that should save us from having to research/buy at least two of the level-1 MA techs, among which possibly the inordinately expensive Feudalism, and likely set us on our way faster to Theo & PP for speeding things up too.

I'm not all that scared about winning by 20k, particularly since we can easily afford to ignore Shake's, Bach's and Sistine, without the culture of which 20k will take far longer, and 3 more content citizens and an earlier Library (and a library !) are imho worthwhile things to build during a GA which will moreover speed up our research of the remaining AA techs.

SaaM: Substituting a colosseum for the MoM only avoids the GA, not the culture (both are worth 2cpt). Also, Cop's won't give us a GA since it's expansionist.

Cops is only expansionist???
How'd I miss that...
Well... that changes things... Perhaps a TGLb might be needed so we don't have to wait until Newtons....
Or of course, we could always try to put off our GA to the modern age, but that would a) be foolish b) mean missing Newtons and ToE

SaaM
Who will still play tonight unless someone feels like grabing and playing 15 turns before tonight then letting him do 15 turns tonight regardless.

Top Bottom