AG6 - The OCC Space Race (Monarch)

Saam: why? I'd love to keep the AIs small by occasionally razing a coastal city or two, cutting their trades and so on ;)

also, if the AIs all are not trustworthy (i.e. we raze the only harbour or so when they have a trade9 they will be MORE willing to sell their res to us!

ROSTER:
-Aggie
-Microbe
-CarlosMM
-Jack Merchant----> Just played
-Stuck as a Mac --> Up
-Melifluous ------> On deck
-yoshi74

Nice discussion here :)

My viewpoints on the topics:
-I like a GA now. We may be able to speed up the research so much that we have all potential free techs before the AI. I like self research, because of the SGL's and the money the AI eventually will pay to us. To achieve that GA I vote for the MoM. EDIT: I don't mind a lighthouse before the MoM :)
-We don't have to be afraid for the AI regarding wars. With a few Dromons we will be master of the sea when we have the Lighthouse.
-Keep the AI stupid. Try to sell them as obsolete techs as possible and try to be a broker of old techs.

I fear the idea of shutting down research after the Great Library. I do think that this will only allow the AI to catch up. We may get a lot of money, but at one point we can't do anything with it except stealing or buying techs, which means we are behind. I'm convinced that we can stay ahead for a long long time and make money that way!

I tried the same concept a bit today (well, the exact same setup to be honest) and had a couple of observations:

- the TGL did come in handy netting me the entire Engineering branch up to and including Chemistry
- Knights Templar turned out to be a really bad idea as it gave me 800cpt which contributed to me 'losing' to 20k before completing all space ship parts (number 7 was due in 2 turns when I lost with only Robotics and Superconductor left to research). What was worse for me was I built SoZ too, which was at about 2k culture points at the end. Without those 2 we won't need to worry about accidentally winning a 20k victory
- the AI will eventually need to catch up anyway as even a monster science city (my city produced 654 beakers per turn at one point) can't do better than 10-12 turns per modern age tech so strengthening the AIs to the point where they can at least research a couple of useful spaceship techs, or even industrial age techs.
- we do need a number of spare workers both to fight pollution (which had a nasty habit of occurring when my food box was close to empty) plus ships to ferry them over and found colonies where necessary.
- I had no problems grabbing both Cop's with a good prebuild (I was first to it by a long way) and cashrushing a bank, university and factory. The earlier GA from building MoM was really useful after all given that it was in Republic already.

So we are pro-MoM and proTGLB and TGLh. SO thats 3 more ancient wonders. Hmm... Could someone just crunch some numbers on what that would be?

I still cant play yet as my dad is using my monitor to do a recording (goddam audio book)

If someone feels like grabbing it, go right on ahead. I;m not requesting a skip, though. Just merely stating that it would be another half hour or so until i could grab it.

SaaM

Originally posted by Stuck_As_a_Mac
So we are pro-MoM and proTGLB and TGLh. SO thats 3 more ancient wonders. Hmm... Could someone just crunch some numbers on what that would be?

I'll tell you what I got in my emperor OCC game (Greece & 80% archipelago) in the order:

Colossus, MoM, Great Lighthouse, Great Library, ToA and Hanging Gardens.

I am not playing for a space race, but my point is it should be easy to get those at Monarch level.

AG6
Inherited Turn: Things are looking good.
T1: Suicide Curragh survives to meet up with a blue border.
T2: We meet the Mayans, who are down Alpha and HBR and have 10g.
T3: :zzz:
T4: Abe demands HBR. I tell him to shove it. Hes a few islands away and lacks any navy that could carry troops. He declares... Go figure...
T5: :zzz:
T6: :zzz:
T7: :zzz:
T8: :zzz:
T9: We research MM. I start on Lit. Due in 8. TGLh due in 4.
T10: I trade Gilgy Poly for Writing and turn around to trade Poly to Joan for Math.
T11: :zzz:
T12: :zzz:
T13: We builds our Precious. I start on the MoM, either for it or for a prebuild for TGLb. Due in 12, but thats decideable.
T14: I knock lux up to 20 to keep from rioting. Sci back to 70, lit due in 4.
T15: Looks like thats all from me. Choose what you want Const to build next.

SaaM

The Save

Looking good! But we can turn down the lux tax a notch (war hapiness) and get literature faster. I think it's a good idea to get to Currency as fast as possible now.

When Jack points out that the Knight's templar gives us a lot of culture, what about the Great Library?

If we take both MoM and the Great Library then I definatelly vote against the Knight's Templar. Leaving us ill defended vs the AI and it's such a cheap wonder to have. The Knight's templar is as expensive as 7.5 MDI's.

So in the end I vote for MoM and Knight's templar. Purely for culture reasons. If we could pull off a balancing act and go into mobilization every time we are at war, then culture could be less of a pain. But that would it make impossible to build non-military improvements.

I don't mind when the next player chooses another route. I understand the usefulness of the Great Library (but still fear a min science run).

We soon have three important improvements to build: the harbor, marketplace and library.

I tried again last night (didn't finish yet) and agree we can skip TGL after all (we could use some of my luck here though - I got, count 'em, 4 SGLs :crazyeye: ).

However, I do not agree that we should be keeping the AI stupid - rather, we do want to build them up a bit. We will have a monster science city, but if we have to research everything ourselves, we *will* come close to 20k sooner or later. Catapulting the AIs into the Middle Ages once we have researched Feudalism should already save us some time (we can hold off on trading around Republic a bit at that point to slow them down), then beeline Theology - Education - Astronomy, or Chivalry in between if you really want to. And if we don't build TGL, we can go for Sistine after all which will be really helpful. for happiness.

But we need a significant tech lead in the space race. We have to build one part after the next one. When we are in a strong defenciv position we should thing about driving the ai into war each other. We don't need to be active on the offense, just looking how the ai slaughters each other. Machiavelli at its best ;)

Its not at me at the moment, and i didn't intent it as a got it right now, unless meli want's to be skipped ;)

Originally posted by Aggie
Jack, thanks for the info. But if you used the exact same set up, please don't tell what happens!

Well, it's either that or create a spreadsheet figuring in how much culture we make, when it doubles, what wonders are essential (Cop's, Newton, SETI, ToE), how many beakers we are going to make and what techs are going to cost ;). Anyway, my two starts were better than our current one too.
However, I'll shut up now and get on with the Turks :").

Jack, I am really sorry for the misunderstanding :blush: I thought you used this game!

Yoshi, Meli is up in a lot of SG's and has a busy weekend. So I figured that in this first round others can play before him since a roster isn't really im place yet.

preturn:

science to 50, lit still in 3

The ottos are the only ones who don't know IW, so i sell it to them for 43gp

Hit enter

1 - 750BC zzzz

IBT Ottos are building the ToA

2 - 730BC zzzz

IBT litrature comes in->Currency at 70% due in 14 turns

3 - 710BC zzzz

4 - 690BC zzzz

IBT french are building the ToA
maya too

5 - 670BC zzzz

IBT french are building the SoZ

6 - 650BC zzzz

IBT egypt are building the pyra

7 - 630BC start roading the irrigated grassland near the cow. We lost 3 commerce every round since we moved the worker off this field

8 - 610BC zzzz

9 - 590BC do some trading
sell alphabet to maya for 27gp
sell HBR to france for 69gp
sell HBR to egypt for 50gp
make peace with america, we give HBR, he gives 37gp :)

IBT - the MoM is finished - we have our golden age :)

10 - 570BC start building a libary adjusted currency to 80% due in 4 turns with -4 per turn

IBT shaka want poly, i show him the middle finger, he declares

11 - 550BC worker starts mining the hill
establish an embassy in sumer, think about getting him into an alliance against shaka. But its quite costly. Think about it for little longer

IBT america starts the pyra
libary is finished, i switched to GL, but i don't think its a too good idea to build it. But the isn't much to produce else

12 - 530BC science 60%, currency in 2 turns, lux 10%, +15gpt

IBT maya completes the pyramides
sumer completes the oracle

13 - 510BC science 50%

IBT we get currency, next is contruction in 7 turns at 90% and -5 gpt
french are building ToA
frenca are building SoZ
maya are building ToA
otto are building ToA
americans are building ToA

14 - 490BC zzzzz

15 - 470 BC

I think we should switch GL to market place to make some more money between max research.
Would be done in two turns, so i leave this decision to the next player

Consider to make an iron colony and build some swords. Otherwise we can't deny future extortions without a real threat.

We should think about getting the sumerians into war with shaka. But it would cost us a tech or too much money, and sumer is tech-wise the closest to us (still a lot of techs behind us).

SAVE

Top Bottom