Age of Empires II HD

My only problem with it on W7 is that the green grass turns kinda neon.

That sounds kinda cool, actually. Reminds me of the cheat in Age of Mythology I think it was that let you turn the water red.

NBAFan said:
Really the only good thing from this is a mutiplayer revival. The Forgotten Empires (which is really good, adds 4 new civs and a really good AI) mod adds widescreen support already.

Might have to try that mod if I can find my CDs.

One thing I'll never understand is when some studio makes such a wonderful game like AoE2, Civ 2 / 4, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate series, Sim City 1-4, Warlords 3 if anyone remembers that, they turn the future sequels into turd.

Different teams. And to be fair, the devs wanted to release AoE3 under a different name because they knew it differed from AoE2 too much, but the publisher wouldn't let them. Seems like most of the bad opinions towards AoE3 has to do with it it changing styles from AoE2. As a stand alone game, AoE3 isn't terrible (Well, ok, the campaign was pretty bad. But the gameplay itself is decent).

No comment on the other titles; I've ranted enough about those already :lol:

One thing I'll never understand is when some studio makes such a wonderful game like AoE2, Civ 2 / 4, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate series, Sim City 1-4, Warlords 3 if anyone remembers that, they turn the future sequels into turd.

If something isnt broke, dont try to fix it. You only ever make it worse. I hear loads of excuses about needing to make the games more modern and action oriented to appeal to todays gamers, but no, look at what happened to Civ V and DA2. Game developers will never learn will they?

Ima gonna make Chess 2.0 ... and I think that knights and bishops are too hard to understand so lets remove those. And no one ever knows what an 'En passant' capture is so lets just remove it from the rules, and because checkmating is too hard to understand for loads of people, change the king to a regular piece that can be captured, an the first player to capture every opponents piece is the winner ....

Yay, just like what they do to all the video games.
Paradox is the opposite, the greatly improve their games with each squeal.:king:

Paradox is the opposite, the greatly improve their games with each squeal.:king:
But let's be honest: Some Paradox games do also start in a really bad shape. Did anyone remember HoI3 vanila on launch? X_X

Although they seem to have improved on Q&A. CK II was MUCH, MUCH better than previous games, as were the last few expansions.

Plus, having steam multiplayer would be insane...like the good ol' days. (Wow, was it really more than a decade ago? Time sure flies.)

The sad thing is, they don't make games as good as these anymore...

I'd rather take clones of the same formula that worked than most of the newer games today.

Way to pricey for a graphics update. I'd pay 5 bucks for it that's about it. Reminds me of the baulder's gate re-release that's around 20. Paying more than 5 bucks for any game over 5-7 years old is silly. $5 goes a long way towards pc games, you can get mass effect 2, a 2010 triple-A title for around $5. On sales you can get galactic empires 1 and 2 bundled for around 6. Not worth paying full price for any game anymore, not with the sales and price drops.

The baldur's gate re-release is also funding towards a BG3, and is made by an entirely different studio, its not silly to support a game that you enjoyed by buying it, it shows the developers that people are interested in such games.

I'd rather pay $20 for remakes of Baldurs Gate and AoE2 than pay $40 for most AAA releases today.

$5 goes a long way towards pc games, you can get mass effect 2, a 2010 triple-A title for around $5. On sales you can get galactic empires 1 and 2 bundled for around 6. Not worth paying full price for any game anymore, not with the sales and price drops.

But if I dont like any of those games then even $5 isnt worth it. If I like a game and will play it then $20 is worth it.

But if I dont like any of those games then even $5 isnt worth it. If I like a game and will play it then $20 is worth it.

This is a reasonable attitude; my personal one is more of a "there are tons of games I'd like to play and I don't have time to play them all." $20 is certainly worth a fun game to me, if I had no other options - several times that amount is worth it if it really is a good game. But if I can either get a $5 game or a $20 game, and both look equally promising to me, I'm going with the $5 game of course.

Yes but theres nothing as equally promising as AoE2.

I'm going to get waaaay more than 17 hours of enjoyment out of the game; thus the price tag of 17$ is reasonable from my point of view.

That's also why I very rarely buy a new game for 60$, because it's hit or miss if I will get enough enjoyment out of it to warrant the price.

Also might be a good idea to add this into your new HD game too- http://www.forgottenempires.net/ :thumbsup:

This is why I probably won't be getting the HD package. It's a free mod, and it adds more than just better graphics. Not to mention I personally like the mod's HD graphics more than the official version. :p

Top Bottom