• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Age Poll: Fans vs Critics

Opinion and age

• I like ciV and i'm less than 18 years old

Votes: 34 4.3%
  • I like ciV and i'm between 18-30 years old

Votes: 291 37.0%
  • I like ciV and i'm between 30-45 years old

Votes: 166 21.1%
  • I like ciV and i'm between 45-60 years old

Votes: 34 4.3%
  • I like ciV and i'm over 60 yeras old

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm less than 18 years old

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm between 18-30 years old

Votes: 124 15.8%
  • I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm between 30-45 years old

Votes: 104 13.2%
  • I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm between 45-60 years old

Votes: 21 2.7%
  • I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm over 60 years old

Votes: 2 0.3%

• Total voters
You should also point out that there is a sampling bias here. We're only seeing the results of people that are registered on this site and are taking the time to answer this poll. And those that have purchased/had access to the game shortly after its release.

So, really, this kind of statistical "analysis" is worthless.
Um, no. This poll is MEANT to find out the statistics amongst the very members of this forum. We are not interested in the opinion of people who never intend to play the game. Neither are we interested in the opinions of the people who are not members of this forum.

This poll is AIMED to the members of this forum and it IS meaningful when the attempt is to find out the general mood of this forum's members. And that is precisely what the aim of these sorts of polls are. I don't quite see how anyone could disagree with that.

You should also point out that there is a sampling bias here. We're only seeing the results of people that are registered on this site and are taking the time to answer this poll. And those that have purchased/had access to the game shortly after its release.

So, really, this kind of statistical "analysis" is worthless.

As an indication that the negative, outright rude posts claiming that the "developers haven't been listening to Civ fans" actually only speak for a minority, it serves this purpose very well.

Hopefully, the developers won't read those threads and believe this is what everyone thinks.

Nice job with the poll. Should be very interesting.

Im 30-45 and disappointed with Civ V.

Been playing since Civ II which I played ironically on the Playstation.

25 here, started with Civ1. I really really like a lot of the things they've changed/added in this one. I just feel like it's a sloppy release, beset by lots of bugs the should have been caught in testing, and by the UI being all-around awful.

But I still vote it as a "like". I can't wait until we start to get a lot of good mods. The community does a much better job making a refined game than Firaxis does anyway.

I'm 48 and Civ 1 was the first PC game I ever played. Played all iterations since.

I do feel disappointed so far with Civ V. I don't feel like it has progressed from Civ IV - it seems to me to be less of a game, and certainly, less 'fun' (though certainly there are some good features which I like).

I may be the only one who is not in love with city-states :)

I'm surprised there aren't more 'disappointed' responses, regardless of age.

As a standalone pc game, civ 5 is ok , a pleasant experience. But as a Civ game, civ 5 is a simplified game who targets more casual and console gamers and thus a disappointment for civ veterans who want a deep strategy game.

It is a good game byt itself but a mediocre or even weak Civilization game.

I keep hearing stuff like... targets console gamers, console crowd, for casual gamers, for simple gamers, for dump people etc... I won't go into how arrogant (and maybe even offensive to someone) that all sounds, because I'm not a goody good ol' doer who's on the crusade to prove something and I honestly don't care what people call them and what they think of them...

But I tell you this: Have you ever actually met "the console crowd"? :lol:
I have a friend who would fall into the whole "console" definition pretty damn well and I tell you... he wouldn't go anywhere near civ5 under any circumstances. it's like rocket science (and a boring one) to him... :lol:
Never mentioning that a true "console gamer" like him wouldn't go anywhere near a PC game in the first place. Would spent hours in Facebook, but NEVER a PC game...

Many people say that Civ5 targets console gamers. :) The game is PC only. So they can target at likes of him all they want, but they'll just keep on missing... :p

I'm 48 and Civ 1 was the first PC game I ever played. Played all iterations since.

I do feel disappointed so far with Civ V. I don't feel like it has progressed from Civ IV - it seems to me to be less of a game, and certainly, less 'fun' (though certainly there are some good features which I like).

I may be the only one who is not in love with city-states :)

I'm surprised there aren't more 'disappointed' responses, regardless of age.

I agree on all fronts. I cant stand City States. Completely bog the game down, and I dont really feel like it translates to anything that resembles the "real world". Granted, neither does the Parthenon to Great People... but City-States is a really dominating aspect of the game.

My problem is, I am kind of an isolationist/builder player and only like to war if it is absolutely necessary or the opportunity is just right with an enemy. With this video game, I am pretty much forced to make war with everyone.

I'm 29.

Been playing Civ and Railroad Tycoon since the DOS days.

I am as disappointed in Civ as i was in Railroads!

Both games dumb their respective series down to the console level.

Mass market appeal rules all I guess.

I've shelved Civ 5, and I'm going back to the Europa Universalis and Total War series.

Bye Sid, you lost a faithful fan here.

24. I own ever Civ version, starting with Civ 1 (I own both DOS and Windows version of the original) and am quite satisfied with Civ 5.

I started on Civ 1 in 1992. I played all of them, much or less. But this one is pretty nice so far.

I'm 25 years old and I've started with Civ II in 1998. I really like Civilization V right now, but I still have to see if it has the appeal to last several months, let alone years. I like how they actually mixed things up. People are saying it's simplified and that's true for some parts, but it's also become more complex in other parts. Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of room for improvement, but it's a very solid base.

So both likes and dislikes in each age group is evenly proportionate LOL

Looks like it's not telling us anything.

but I guess I'm glad that it's more likes than dislike. it does, for whatever reason, achieved high ratings in a few game sites. I can only hope the patches and fixes comes sooner and quicker and more extensive. This game, concept and design aside, is horribly under developed as-is.:mad:

This poll is a good idea, but maybe there should be more options. There is quite a difference if one is 19 or 29. I'm 32 and a bit disappointed.

As an indication that the negative, outright rude posts claiming that the "developers haven't been listening to Civ fans" actually only speak for a minority, it serves this purpose very well.

Hopefully, the developers won't read those threads and believe this is what everyone thinks.

Likewise, hopefully Firaxis and 2K Games don't see all the hyper positive and fan boi threads on these forums and get complacent. ciV needs a lot of work that's for sure. It does have great potential though.

I do like ciV but am somewhat disappointed so I voted for the latter.

In the end, after a few years, the game will be up to snuff. Especially FFH3. :D

I'm 43 and like Civ V. Didn't find Civ until 2005, late in the CivIII era.

Interesting poll. Breakdown of % who like the game by age (at the moment)

0-18: 84%
18-30: 73%
30-45: 67%
45-60: 65%
60+: 60%

I think Firaxis would be happy with these numbers. 30 and under makes up a majority of game buyers (61% by this poll), and they seem to be happy with it.

This thread smacks of forum elitism.

Apparently criticisms of CiV are less valid when they come from people who didn't start with Civ I back on the Amiga :rolleyes:

I'm VERY disappointed with ciV and i'm 51 years old...

I have played all Sid Meir's games since Microprose.

With Colonization II, this Civilization V are the 2 games I enjoyed the least.

Civ1 (it was the 1st... and it opened a new path) , Pirates, Alien Crossfire, and Civ4 Beyond The Sword (with also mod Fall From Heaven...) are my top Sid games...

This Civ 5 has the flavor of a U.S. fast food. You love it or you hate it.
Very appreciated by some, not by others.
I belong to the traditionnal type (includes food...). So be it.

I'm 48 and really enjoying Civ 5. I've played all of them since the DOS days. I'm also a console gamer and a female so a definite oddity on these forums

Top Bottom