AI Assyria and siege towers

Dr. D

Warlord
Has anyone ever witnessed an AI Assyria actually use its siege towers and warmonger effectively? Each time I've had them in a game, they're sitting ducks with no more than a couple cities until they are wiped out. Their siege towers seem to be only used for flanking and to rack up XP upon as you kill them. Have I just had bad luck or are they truly this pathetic for everyone else?

They don't figure too often in my games for whatever reason, but I agree, whenever they do, they don't come across as the thread they ought to. A bit like Atilla, who when he does really good, will send a couple of battering rams but fails to understand that because they can't melee attack he needs to bring some other units also so they don't get blocked by warriors ...

In my current game, AI Assyria conquered a city state early on (before I met them)

...A bit like Atilla, who when he does really good, will send a couple of battering rams but fails to understand that because they can't melee attack he needs to bring some other units also so they don't get blocked by warriors ...

I hear you on that one. I find it so funny he will send a half dozen battering rams, and maybe an archer with them, but that's it.

I've had Assyria wipe out Siam very fast in ancient or classical era and i quickly became friends with Assyria because of that. Literally like the turn siam was wiped from the world I declared my friendship with him while everyone else was denouncing assyria like there was no tomorrow.

Although I never got to observe his military forces because I was buried deep in jungle at that time.

Why that diplomatic move? Seems you could get a diplo bonus with the rest of the world by denouncing Assyria, and then maybe more bonus by going to war together with them (even if you don't do anything).

Why that diplomatic move? Seems you could get a diplo bonus with the rest of the world by denouncing Assyria, and then maybe more bonus by going to war together with them (even if you don't do anything).

He wiped out Siam. You see, siam is a massive prick he loves to warmonger and pretends to hate warmongering while conquering the whole world. I'd rather team up with a good friend that kills siam very fast than any wussy guy. ;)

And as it turns out, my instanteous decision to become friends with assyria turned out to be right he was my best buddies until the very end of the game which he had no choice left but to compete with me for space race xD

Even when he went Order and I went autocracy we still was best of the buds! Not a single denouncement until near the end of game xD Then one finally came out.

Plus we enjoyed each other's friendship for thousands of years :3

This is the very map where I dof'd him XD
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523229

Uhh i guess it means the obvious right move isn't always the right move

I have found that Assyria and the Huns often use their UU's to conquer a few early cities, but don't exploit it nearly as much as they really should. (Due to poor AI tactics).

In a recent game, Assyria took a few cities from the Netherlands and Polynesia but stopped there. Whereas a human player would have pressed on, taken the capitals, and ended up with at least twice as much land/cities.

I think we're seeing a pattern on the posts where AI Assyria was successful: It's early on in which they have a shot against another AI. But later on they don't. (That's actually a pretty common pattern for AIs with early UUs)

Top Bottom