AI Lack of Aggression?

Dactyl

Warlord
Some people are troubled by the lack of aggression of the AI civs, and perhaps they aren't as aggressive as in the past. However, they aren't exactly pacificists. In the game I just lost, I was playing as the Poles on Emperor level. The Romans were my neighbors. I had two cities up and they were growing well. I was getting ready to build another settler. I had an army of five composite bowmen and a spearman. Given the way things have been going in BNW, I figured that would be enough. Well, along comes turn 104 and the Roman army shows up on my border. They have about a dozen men, including four Legions. Need I say it? The party was over. What I don't understand is how, with four cities, they were able to build and support an army of that size so early. Live and learn, I guess.

On emperor they cheat quiet a bit. They also start with more units. As long as you lead in tech this shouldn't be a problem because out-teching the AI on emperor should be rather easy and the advantage in city/unit strength should be enough for the few units you will have.

You can try to reload an autosave and have the romans declare war on another nearby civ.

I've decided to move on to another game. It was my own fault really. Pre-BNW, I would have anticipated problems from the Romans and I would have built more units and I would have hit them early myself, but given the toned down aggression in BNW, I mistakenly decided that I would be safe.

Also, the Huns are still war monglers in BNW.

Basically what has happened is that the aggressiveness flavor finally makes a noticeable difference in AI behavior.

There's a huuuuuuge thread about this right now, and it seems someone dug into the code once the .DLL was released. The AI is specifically looking at whether going to war with a particular civ would have a severe impact on their economy. Considering that means they lose all the caravans for that civ & its allies, plus any routes that ventured through your territory (due to an Open Borders agreement).

So, getting early caravans & trades going with a civ makes it less likely to war with you in the early game. Warmongering civs are willing to lose more trade than others, but even they won't go into negative GPT for the sake of a war.

So, getting early caravans & trades going with a civ makes it less likely to war with you in the early game. Warmongering civs are willing to lose more trade than others, but even they won't go into negative GPT for the sake of a war.

Does this also mean that an AI civ already at negative GPT in times of peace won't DOW anyone until/unless their GPT becomes positive?

Does this also mean that an AI civ already at negative GPT in times of peace won't DOW anyone until/unless their GPT becomes positive?

No, Songhai declared war on me with negative income - however that was in a case when I wasn't trading with them (they were under an embargo).

No, Songhai declared war on me with negative income - however that was in a case when I wasn't trading with them (they were under an embargo).

Go to the thread and read the last 3 pages or so (start where I put the block of code).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12619981#post12619981

Top Bottom