Alas, poor Abe, I knew him well.

Every once in a while, an AI gets really screwed. Poor Abe in my current game. He started his capital in a city on a river on the coast, with nothing but jungle for terrain. After many years of hacking away, he finally managed to produce a settler, only to settle once again, entirely in jungle.

Poor stupid Abe sat there meekly all game with his two crappy cities. He even threatened me once, but, seeing as I was light-years ahead of him in military and tech, he didn't carry through with his threat.

I let him alone til around 1400AD, when I finally had the easiest military victory of my career, losing about all over 6 total hit points on my 4 knights to Abe's 4 spearmen before his tiny empire collapsed.

I probably shoulda killed him off sooner, but I figured he could clear jungle as well as I could. I was wrong about that. He'd still only cleared about 5 total squares by 1400AD.

Originally posted by Stapel
:lol:

It would be a challenge to start yourself in the jungle!

Yes, it would, but I still think I coulda beaten Abe's meager effort. I think he irrigated all his grassland too, which meant he only had one shield in each city for 5400 years:).

funny thing is: the AIs in jungle tend NOT to chop it down in my games. Weird, hu?

I had a game where a civ stayed at 1 town size 2 all the time.

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
funny thing is: the AIs in jungle tend NOT to chop it down in my games. Weird, hu?

I had a game where a civ stayed at 1 town size 2 all the time.

It was pretty strange. He cleared off, irrigated, and roaded his dyes, and then waited about 2000 years before clearing another tile for Washington. I think he had maybe 3 tiles for Washington and 2-3 for New York cleared by 1400AD. It was a pretty feeble effort for an industrious society:). I had an enormous patch of jungle too that I'm still clearing, but I've cleared at least 20 squares with a non-industrious civ during the same time frame. I don't think he ever built another worker though:).

That had to be the worst AI start I have ever seen though. I'm sure other AI's have been equally bad in my games, but they are probably knocked off before I even see them by other civs.

It seems to me that the Americans start in jungle more then other civs...

I think greece, and like india or Korea.
What level were you on?
In Chieftain, one time, Japan built only 3 CITIES!
I was fighting with Cavs while they had Pikeman.

This is on Monarch. Funny thing is, Russia and France share the same continent with me (Iroquois) and the former US. Russia had been bothering me all game. I'm surprised they didn't take the US out 100 turns ago. Both of those civs are stronger than I am. I guess Abe didn't threaten them:).

Curious problem - usually the AI has more terrain improvments than me for the first half of the game.

Top Bottom