[GS] Alashiya's dumb question thread

Alashiya

Warlord
hi I'm trying to progress from a mediocre King-level player to an excellent Diety-level player. I'm utilising a technique called deliberate practice and once I've read Coach Wooden's book I'll try to improve my micromanagement of details i.e he had basketball players paying special attention to how they put their socks on, rather than spam the forum with loads of new posts I'll limit my question-centric approach to this thread if you want to put me on ignore I won't be offended. However, I'll be delighted if you want to help :)

heres James Clear's definition

Deliberate practice refers to a special type of practice that is purposeful and systematic. While regular practice might include mindless repetitions, deliberate practice requires focused attention and is conducted with the specific goal of improving performance.
Disclaimer: I intend to create a Civ 6 Strategy blog and I might use answers from here on there I'll try to ensure all contributors are fully credited I hope this is OK

Q1. If I'm using archers in the ancient/classic era to wear a city down before 'liberating' it from the rightful owners how can I gauge elevation? ie ranged unit is in range but unable to shoot at the city, how can I prevent this from happening?

A1. your archer is on flat terrain and there is a hill or something between the archer and the city. place archer(s) on hills or make sure there is flat terrain between archer and city.

A1. your archer is on flat terrain and there is a hill or something between the archer and the city. place archer(s) on hills or make sure there is flat terrain between archer and city.
Thanks Martin but what terrain actually counts as hilly ie you cannot fire over it?

@Alashiya - Have a look over this Line-of-Sight guide.

@Alashiya - Have a look over this Line-of-Sight guide.

Thank you Laurana :) this is a question that's vexed me for a while

a better understanding of the LOS rules would have ensured my 3 frigates(yeah,I love playing as Phoenicia) could level the city that rebelled tonight weird there were no hills on the land near the city

thanks again Laurana I'm finding my slightly better understanding of LOS is helping me to use archers more effectively
todays Question(s)

Q1 are classical era dark ages a big deal?
Q2 is building a coastal capital a mistake? (even for naval powers)

is it worth beelining Incendiaries for ancient/classic era city reducing Archers?

Are scouts worth building during the ancient era?
CivLifer thinks not ,Potato McWhiskey this yes.I'm undecided veering towards no esp on harder difficulties, what do you think?

is it worth beelining Incendiaries for ancient/classic era city reducing Archers?
Incendiaries is not worth it.
Because of a bug Arrow storm also provides the attack strength against districts while also giving the attack strength against units. You can ignore this promotion until this gets fixed

Incendiaries is not worth it.
Because of a bug Arrow storm also provides the attack strength against districts while also giving the attack strength against units. You can ignore this promotion until this gets fixed
thank you Just want to make archers as effective as possible for my early game rush :)

Are scouts worth building during the ancient era?
CivLifer thinks not ,Potato McWhiskey this yes.I'm undecided veering towards no esp on harder difficulties, what do you think?
Disclaimer: I don't play on harder difficulties.

The main reason I build scouts early (Ancient Era) is to find things. Meeting city-states and other civs are a good way to get era score, when you may have few cities and fewer opportunities to build things. My experience is that they fare reasonably well against Barb scouts, while they can flee from Barb warriors or spearmen. They are fragile once the Barbs get more advanced units.

To your question, at higher difficulties, the AI will research more quickly so the Barb units will get tougher, sooner. The window of opportunity to find things before the scouts are killed gets smaller. Consider your map type (Pangea vs. Continents vs. other). Are there enough things to find? If you've discovered the tech to let scouts embark, and you have an island dominated map, then scouts may make sense.

for domination whats the best Medieval government type? I'm favouring Merchant republic atm

for domination whats the best Medieval government type? I'm favouring Merchant republic atm
I'd say Theocracy, coupled with Grand Master's Chapel. Discounted purchases of land units with faith, pillaging yields bonus faith. Add Crusade belief to this, convert target cities and have a field day.

I'd say Theocracy, coupled with Grand Master's Chapel. Discounted purchases of land units with faith, pillaging yields bonus faith. Add Crusade belief to this, convert target cities and have a field day.
thank you . Id been wondering how to make use of the military/religious synergy esp with civs like Scythia

Should the government plaza be in your second city or your capital?

For culture or domination games I don't think it matters.

But for science games I always try to build the government plaza in either the 2nd city or a captured major city. I'm not the fastest science player, so take what I say advisedly, but I generally run the major space projects from my capital city. And I almost always end up reaching Launch Earth Satellite before I have enough culture to build the Royal Society. So by building the GP in a city other than the capital, I don't have to delay a space project to get the Royal Society- they can be going on simultaneously.

In culture or domination games of course this doesnt matter, so I don't mind putting the GP in the cap.

For culture or domination games I don't think it matters.

But for science games I always try to build the government plaza in either the 2nd city or a captured major city. I'm not the fastest science player, so take what I say advisedly, but I generally run the major space projects from my capital city. And I almost always end up reaching Launch Earth Satellite before I have enough culture to build the Royal Society. So by building the GP in a city other than the capital, I don't have to delay a space project to get the Royal Society- they can be going on simultaneously.

In culture or domination games of course this doesnt matter, so I don't mind putting the GP in the cap.

I prefer to put the GP in my #2 or #3 city, unless I'm going all-out domination. In a peaceful game I often build/chop a number of settlers in my Ancestral Hall/Magnus city, and I'd rather that city not be my capital, which will have Pingala. I also prefer not to have build any of the GP buildings in my capital, which is usually the site of key wonders, important districts, etc; as @Planktonic mentioned, it can particularly be a bottleneck with the Royal Society.

Whats best for building up early game(pre medieval) city state support Charismatic leader or Diplomatic League?

Whats best for building up early game(pre medieval) city state support Charismatic leader or Diplomatic League?
I always run DL early game, to max first meeting envoys and get +2 for any early quests. I keep it slotted as long as there are achievable first quests or if I'm about to explore a new continent. (I play really big maps mostly, so there's always more to find mid-game.)

Top Bottom