All leader portraits

Enhancement? Looks like a nearly entirely different picture!

I made this by enhancing edges and contrast. Since the picture is in very poor quality, this might result in wrong effect, it really surprised me as well. But who knows? As a graphic designer, I had to do some similar detective job in the past and I just wanted to share my results with you.

So I finally did a side-by-side of the Shapur plate and C5. It's definitely way off, but I feel the similarities in pose and headgear make a Sassanid carving of some kind rather plausible:

Spoiler :
Totally! God, I hope so. Like you said, Persia has been a base game civ since II. I would be really disappointed if they weren't this time. They're along with China and India, one of the three large ancient Asian cultures that have survived to this day. Also, a Sassanid ruler would be a nice change.

Haven't logged into CivFanatics for years now!

Just wanted to chime in, since I'm geeking out about CIV VI, and am happy that Spain finally made it to a Civ Launch.

Do you think that the portrait in between GErmany and GReece could be for the GOlden Horde, and maybe it's a portrait of Genghis Khan??

Haven't logged into CivFanatics for years now!

Just wanted to chime in, since I'm geeking out about CIV VI, and am happy that Spain finally made it to a Civ Launch.

Do you think that the portrait in between GErmany and GReece could be for the GOlden Horde, and maybe it's a portrait of Genghis Khan??

Spoiler :

If it is Genghis then Golden Horde doesn't really work. I think it a bit unlikely that they would change the Mongols to the Golden Horde, but if they did Batu Khan makes more sense.

Even if that plays out, I would expect them to ultimately use the Mongol name over the Golden Horde.

My current state of mind is as follows:

B5: Most likely Goths with a female leader or a second German leader available as DLC. Ghana comes in third.

C5: Most likely Mongols. Ottomans are a close second. Myanmar is a third.

E1: second Spanish leader available as DLC.

If it is Genghis then Golden Horde doesn't really work. I think it a bit unlikely that they would change the Mongols to the Golden Horde, but if they did Batu Khan makes more sense.

Even if that plays out, I would expect them to ultimately use the Mongol name over the Golden Horde.

True... but CIV is also a series that once put SITTING BULL as leader of the NATIVE AMERICANS, and still puts GANDHI as a political leader of INDIA. lol ;)

Just throwing this out there as a suggestion, but could C5 be Gwanggaeto of Korea perhaps? Not sure if this an accurate depiction of him as the armour looks more like what I would associate with Mongolia, but then I'm not an expert on Korean history (anyone who is please say if this is wrong!):

Spoiler :

I'm not sure Korea is the most likely candidate for C5 - just thought I'd raise it as a possibility as it would fit the slot alphabetically, and the above image seemed possible if the hat does have the tassles. First time I saw it though I thought it might be Hiram of Phoenicia due to what I percieve as the hat shape (I still think it could be him tbh) but that seems even less likely.

EDIT: I definitely don't think this picture is the one used for C5. But perhaps it could have been used as a reference?

I made this by enhancing edges and contrast. Since the picture is in very poor quality, this might result in wrong effect, it really surprised me as well. But who knows? As a graphic designer, I had to do some similar detective job in the past and I just wanted to share my results with you.

Well, I can't claim to be an expert or anything. However, your picture looks to me a large departure from the original. However, the result is interesting. Perhaps you could try doing the same thing on the picture of C5?

Just throwing this out there as a suggestion, but could C5 be Gwanggaeto of Korea perhaps? Not sure if this an accurate depiction of him as the armour looks more like what I would associate with Mongolia, but then I'm not an expert on Korean history (anyone who is please say if this is wrong!):

Spoiler :

I'm not sure Korea is the most likely candidate for C5 - just thought I'd raise it as a possibility as it would fit the slot alphabetically, and the above image seemed possible if the hat does have the tassles. First time I saw it though I thought it might be Hiram of Phoenicia due to what I percieve as the hat shape (I still think it could be him tbh) but that seems even less likely.

EDIT: I definitely don't think this picture is the one used for C5. But perhaps it could have been used as a reference?

Hmm... could be Korea... perhaps a naval/defensive civ with Admiral Sun-Shin as the leader? His helmet looks similar to the yellow thing seen in C5

Spoiler :

Goguryeo is the name of Gwanggaeto's Korean kingdom, which, as I mentioned on the other page, is an alphabetical fit. So, yes, this is my bet as well. I outlined some other reasons for this too; Korea's large video game market and the Asian look of the leader.

The best contender for B5 is Goguryeo; it fits alphabetically, the leader looks Asian with that mustache, Korea is a big market for videogames, and currently there is a lack of east Asian civs behind China. Also, as I said already, I am not buying 'Golden-horde' as a civilisation; why would a break away from the mongol empire be chosen over Mongolia? C5 I am completely unable to decide on.

E1, on the other hand, has got to be out there somewhere.

Why do you think they would change and use Goguryeo, instead of just calling it Korea like they have always done?

I still think it's unlikely, they'd just call it Korea.

I mean, if they are calling the other nations by a blob name, they ain't making an exception for Goguryeo.

Goguryeo is the name of Gwanggaeto's Korean kingdom, which, as I mentioned on the other page, is an alphabetical fit. So, yes, this is my bet as well. I outlined some other reasons for this too; Korea's large video game market and the Asian look of the leader.

Wouldn't 'Goguryeo' be in the B5 slot though? I was making the suggestion that the C5 slot was Gwanggaeto, as I can't see Firaxis calling a Korean civ anything other that 'Korea'.

I do think you're right as to why Korea might be included though - they are a huge market and were quite vocal about why their country should be in the base game. I'm inclined to agree with them honestly, though I think there are plenty of other civs that should be standard too (18 civs just isn't sufficient).

I still think it's unlikely, they'd just call it Korea.

I mean, if they are calling the other nations by a blob name, they ain't making an exception for Goguryeo.

They called the Thailand civ in Civ 5 Siam, not Thailand. They never refer to the Ottomans as Turkey, or Persia as Iran. They don't call the Roman empire the Italian empire.

But many gamers in the western world know about Persia, the Ottomans or Siam, to some extent. I highly doubt a lot know about Goguryeo though.

Wouldn't 'Goguryeo' be in the B5 slot though? I was making the suggestion that the C5 slot was Gwanggaeto, as I can't see Firaxis calling a Korean civ anything other that 'Korea'.

I do think you're right as to why Korea might be included though - they are a huge market and were quite vocal about why their country should be in the base game. I'm inclined to agree with them honestly, though I think there are plenty of other civs that should be standard too (18 civs just isn't sufficient).

Oh, I was talking about B5. I personally do not think the C5 slot looks remotely
like it could be a Korean civ, but I could be wrong.

They called the Thailand civ in Civ 5 Siam, not Thailand. They never refer to the Ottomans as Turkey, or Persia as Iran. They don't call the Roman empire the Italian empire.

India.

What is the civilization that stands the test of time in the region?

Rome is obviously the best example of empire, which is why they'd use that name instead of Italy.

The Ottomans again had a famous empire, which has been around for much longer and much more influential than Turkey.

China, Korea, Japan, and India all have distinct cultural identities despite having various dynasties and regional conflicts.

You're doing some impressive mental gymnastics to justify a dynastic name for Korea.

Oh, I was talking about B5. I personally do not think the C5 slot looks remotely
like it could be a Korean civ, but I could be wrong.

Nor did I initially - I thought it possibly could be Mongolian (or from the ancient Middle East depending on how you interpret the image), but then I found that picture of Gwanggaeto with the tassled helm so I thought I'd share it and see what people thought.

Top Bottom