All Things Babylon 5

Babylon 5 was so awesome.
The 3 episodes Point of No Return/Severed Dreams arc was I think the high point of the series.

Newly re-rendered CGI sequences in 1080p by Tom Smith showing the battle between General Hague's forces and Earthforce ships over Jupiter from the episode "Point of No Return". Most of this was only ever seen in ISN broadcast snippets on monitors.

I have mixed feelings about this:
a) It does look a lot better.
b) It doesn't need to look better.

Great job by the authors either way.

And there's more!

So, apparently there is a B5 reboot in the works, written and exec. produced by the Great Maker himself, J. Michael Straczynski. I'm pretty excited that work is finally moving on B5, but two things are giving me pause with the announcement.

One, it's a "from-the-ground-up reboot", which is a disappointment. The characters and story I've come to love, won't be returning - at least in the same way.

Second, it's going to be broadcast on the CW. That means smaller budgets and audience exposure. The network also skews towards younger audiences, with IMO, second rate scripted shows. Not the place I wanted to see B5's revival. I see what Amazon's done with The Expanse, and Apple TV's done with Foundation, and can't help but think what could have been...

From Variety:

‘Babylon 5’ Reboot in Development at The CW From Original Series Creator J. Michael Straczynski

So, apparently there is a B5 reboot in the works, written and exec. produced by the Great Maker himself, J. Michael Straczynski. I'm pretty excited that work is finally moving on B5, but two things are giving me pause with the announcement.

One, it's a "from-the-ground-up reboot", which is a disappointment. The characters and story I've come to love, won't be returning - at least in the same way.

Second, it's going to be broadcast on the CW. That means smaller budgets and audience exposure. The network also skews towards younger audiences, with IMO, second rate scripted shows. Not the place I wanted to see B5's revival. I see what Amazon's done with The Expanse, and Apple TV's done with Foundation, and can't help but think what could have been...

From Variety:

‘Babylon 5’ Reboot in Development at The CW From Original Series Creator J. Michael Straczynski
From what I've heard of CW (it's in a tier of channels I don't get), most stuff on that network are teen/young adult soap operas (I'm thinking of Riverdale, which was also on Netflix; that was a bizarre thing that used Archie comic characters and basically transplanted them into the Twin Peaks setting).

Doing this with B5... :shake:

I actually liked Riverdale for the first two seasons, but then lost interest during the third. They've had a few decent shows over the years - The Messengers, The Tomorrow People, and Containment. Unfortunately, all were cancelled after one season. I did watch all seven seasons of The 100, which was really enjoyable. Even the mediocre seventh season had some redeeming qualities. I know many people like their DC shows, but they haven't really caught my interest. I certainly don't see B5 as being a very good fit for the network with the types of shows they air, though.

Another problem, which really should have been my first concern, is that Warner Bros. is again producing. The studio execs meddling during the first season of Crusade is what ultimately killed the B5 sequel. Afaik, relations haven't been particularly good between the studio and JMS since, so I'm curious what changed.

Last edited:
I actually liked Riverdale for the first two seasons, but then lost interest during the third. They've had a few decent shows over the years - The Messengers, The Tomorrow People, and Containment. Unfortunately, all were cancelled after one season. I did watch all seven seasons of The 100, which was really enjoyable. Even the mediocre seventh season had some redeeming qualities. I know many people like their DC shows, but they haven't really caught my interest. I certainly don't see B5 as being a very good fit for the network with the types of shows they air, though.

Another problem, which really should have been my first concern, is that Warner Bros. is again producing. The studio execs meddling during the first season of Crusade is what ultimately killed the B5 sequel. Afaik, relations haven't been particularly good between the studio and JMS since, so I'm curious what changed.
The Tomorrow People was an American version of the original British TV series from the '70s. The only connection between the two series was that Nicholas Young, who played John in the British series, guest starred in one or two of the episodes of the American series. The American series was a different take on it, but I much prefer the British series.

I had no idea that The 100 went seven seasons. I think I only saw the first two, maybe three, before somebody hacked my Netflix account and I had to nuke it.

JMS has the honor of being the only non-novelist/short story author to ever be the Guest of Honor at the annual Con-Version science fiction convention in Calgary. The regional, fan-run SF conventions in my province were geared toward writing, editing, and art, with a side helping of real science, plus the usual media room and panel discussions on a variety of topics. I'm not even sure why JMS was invited, but he was, and brought the B5 blooper reel with him.

That was actually my first time watching any of that series. I never saw it in its first TV run, and only decided to catch up later after seeing the bloopers and thinking that the show looked interesting.

I'm just a casual fan now; I have the DVDs, but haven't even bothered with any B5 fanfiction. But I do know that some fans are passionate about it. I was staying with a friend in Calgary when she found out that Claudia Christian wouldn't be back for the last season. I was witness to a 10-minute screaming rant in my friend's kitchen, and was honestly a bit afraid the breakable dishes were going to go flying.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/27/...boot-j-michael-straczynski-warner-bros-the-cw

So, B5 is getting a reboot. Thoughts? IMO it'll be a hard act to follow. Maybe impossible in modern entertainment industry.
They captured lightning in a bottle with the cast, in my opinion. That's going to be hard to do twice.

They captured lightning in a bottle with the cast, in my opinion. That's going to be hard to do twice.

More like impossible. The actors gave a lot of personality to their roles in original B5. Now whenever the actor playing Londo in reboot tries the "MISTEEER GARIBALDI!" line, or G'Kar delivers his speech when being removed from the council...it just will be pale imitation of the original. And without all those personal touches, will it be B5?

More like impossible. The actors gave a lot of personality to their roles in original B5. Now whenever the actor playing Londo in reboot tries the "MISTEEER GARIBALDI!" line, or G'Kar delivers his speech when being removed from the council...it just will be pale imitation of the original. And without all those personal touches, will it be B5?
A pale imitation at best. And what if some idiot decides to do retcons or genderswaps? That's why I loathed nuBSG inside of half an hour.

Take nuTrek (please, take it far, far away...). That's not only a pale imitation, it's so ridiculous, it's basically a parody that has no respect for the source material.

I'm guessing JMS wouldn't go that far, but he'd need assurance that no studio suits would be able to dictate to him.

I haven't dropped into certain subforums at TrekBBS lately; there's been a fan feud going on for years there, between the B5 fans and the DS9 fans.

I wonder if any of the old actors who are still alive would come back, either in a cameo or in a different role.

Given that today's generation of actors cannot act.... I'd probably give the first two episodes a watch and move on. JMS gave us a story. If it is the same story then why make it again? If this story will be adapted to the new generation then it won't be a story for me.

I'm optimistic about it. JMS strikes me as someone cranky enough to not do it if he was only being used for his name. Hopefully with greater audience familiarity with serialized stories B5 won't have to do as much 'as you know' each episode. A Babylon 5 v2 can also clean up some of the awkwardness of the show, such as Season 1 only making sense after watching the series or how the pacing of the Shadow War was completely messed up.
(To elaborate, we have a big battle where Sheridan and the Army of Light defeat the shadows, but after Zha-ha-dum the Shadows are still an apocalyptic threat it is inconceivable the younger races can fight. There is also the awkwardness of trying to depict a galactic catastrophe with some occasional lines telling me 'everything is really bad'.)
@Valka D'Ur who cares about gender swaps? Captain Sheridan's downstairs plumbing makes no meaningful change in the story, especially today with viewers being vastly more accepting of same sex relationships.

@Valka D'Ur who cares about gender swaps? Captain Sheridan's downstairs plumbing makes no meaningful change in the story, especially today with viewers being vastly more accepting of same sex relationships.
Don't go there. Just. Don't.

Genderswaps are lazy writing, when they want to grab attention with a gimmick, rather than excellent writing and direction. I don't care what the franchise is. About the only time I'd tolerate it is if it's a parody, such as the fanfic idea I had awhile back, to crossover Harry Potter and Cinderella. The characters themselves aren't genderswapped. Harry is still male, Ginny is still female, etc. But the roles are swapped. Harry's the one who needs the help of his fairy godfather to go to the Quidditch match (Ginny will only marry someone who can beat her in a game).

It's probably an idea that's been done before, but I have my own brand of snark I bring when I do parody fanfics. And this isn't intended for public consumption anyway, or at least nowhere that isn't a fanfic site.

I don't understand why you brought up same-sex relationships. I don't care if Captain Sheridan is gay, straight, bi, or whatever else. I just care that he's male.

Don't go there. Just. Don't.
Why? This isn't a matter of core personal identity that isn't a 'matter for discussion'. If you don't want to discuss it, don't respond to it.

I don't understand why you brought up same-sex relationships. I don't care if Captain Sheridan is gay, straight, bi, or whatever else. I just care that he's male.
I mentioned it in the context of the Sheriden-Delenn relationship. As long as Sheridan is human, I would struggle to care what plumbing or identity they gave Sheridan. (Unless they do the silly "as a minority, I'm better able to understand your problems" routine.)
In the new Battlestar Galactica, whatever my issues about it as the show developed, Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck was just better than the block of wood they had playing Starbuck in the original show/movie, who did nothing beyond 'generic space pilot hero'.

One thing I was actually thinking.... We'll get more B5 one way or the other. I've only recently watched the B5 movies and, to my surprise, the worst thing about them was the writing (except acting in case of some of the new actors). So if JMS is serious about this re-launch he'll write and write well. If the actors are up for the task (no guarantees there) we'll get, at least, some B5-like media. Just have to wait and see, I just don't know how long.

Why? This isn't a matter of core personal identity that isn't a 'matter for discussion'. If you don't want to discuss it, don't respond to it.
I will remind you that you tagged me in your post. I would have ignored this thread otherwise, as I'm not a hardcore fan. So don't tell me what not to respond to. :huh:

In the new Battlestar Galactica, whatever my issues about it as the show developed, Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck was just better than the block of wood they had playing Starbuck in the original show/movie, who did nothing beyond 'generic space pilot hero'.
"Starbuck" is a ridiculous name for a female character.

And speak for yourself as to the appeal of Dirk Benedict. I was 15 when that show premiered - exactly the right demographic to like the male characters (including Lorne Greene, btw; I'm old enough to have seen several seasons of Bonanza in its first run).

Top Bottom