Alternate apocalypse idea

Muz

Chieftain
I was just thinking.. maybe instead of the world turning into hell when the AC counter gets high, it could get submerged instead by the Octopus Overlords. Or brought into darkness or something by the Council of Esus. Or taken over by undead (like in the new Bard's Tale ;)).

The demonic hell thing is OK, but after a few games it does get just a little bit repetitive, it would be nice to see even more variety and let the other evil religions take the spotlight :mischief:

The other "evil" religions don't really want an apocalypse though, the octopus overlords are just sending deranged dreams to people, not really enough for an apocalypse and worshippers of the overlords don't really worship a god either so there wouldn't be any vault to overrun erebus.

The council of Esus really doesn't need an apocalypse, they are more about stealing from others and using secrecy as a weapon, not very secret if the entire land is turning to a kind of terrain only they can get.

Oh, and it would also be hard to measure which evil religion added the most to the armegeddon counter.

I don't think it is a good idea for Apocalypse itself, but more AC related events that fit the other religions would be nice. For instance, sometimes instead of blight you could get tsunamis everywhere, turning lots of land to water.

That could be cool. If the AC hit's a certain value the and the biggest religeon is OO then boom, tsumanis everywhere. Although can't the Lanun already more or less do that?

That could be cool. If the AC hit's a certain value the and the biggest religeon is OO then boom, tsumanis everywhere. Although can't the Lanun already more or less do that?

Their world spell is basically a global Tsunami, yes. But neither Tsunami or Raging Seas can terraform land int water at the moment.

(I'm also planning on removing world spells from my modmod, since some of them are far worse than others and since I can't think of a good one for most civs; Actually, I'm leaving them in, but they won't be civ specific. Each religion will have 2 or 3 and there will be a few that anyone can cast, if they meet the requirements. Each civ will only gat 1 world spell (until they get birthright regained), but casting one won't stop a rival from casting the same one.

Some of the world spells are supposed to be weak. FFH is balanced at the civ level, so a weaker civ might have a better worldspell (and visa versa).

The demonic hell thing is OK, but after a few games it does get just a little bit repetitive, it would be nice to see even more variety and let the other evil religions take the spotlight :mischief:

A modmod or few could be interesing: Customize each for a different religion. I can see the Order, the OO, and even the FoL wanting to go for a unique end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it scenario. You'd need, what? To replace some of the Armageddon events, but not all of them. And M. of Dis should probably be replaced with an appropriate new unit.

This kind of 'geological effects of religion' seem more like an Altar of the Luonnatar equivalent for non-good religions than an apocalypse scenario for me. Like if the Overlords and the Council of Esus built national wonders that spread their visual influence (or invisible influence in the case of Esus potentially) as a path towards victory. Victory condition: Drown X amount of the world using Overlord Tide Pools or whatever.

Hold on... does AC 100 turn the whole world to hell terrain? I never get that far in the game so I haven't seen it. I know it kill all living units, but hell terrain covering the earth?

That's quite cool...

Also, I was wondering if demons count as "living". I'm quite sure they don't but thought I'd check with all the recent updates...

Al

No, it doesn't effect hell terrain. Good Civs never have hell spread in their territory, even at AC 100.

(I think I'll make the event change all plot counters too 100, equal to Infernal territory, but still not make it spread in good territory. You would need sanctify and really work hard to keep hell out. I'm also making Defile raise the plot counter slightly)

The event kills only 60% of living units. It also cuts all non-infernal cities population in half.

Demons are not living. Neither are angels, undead, elementals, and unitcombat_siege and unitcombat_naval units.

While I agree there's no need for alternative apocalypses, I really like the idea of having an extensive event chain involving the reawakening of Danalin and the chaos that would probably ensue. It would definately have the potential to make the OO more interesting.

While I agree there's no need for alternative apocalypses, I really like the idea of having an extensive event chain involving the reawakening of Danalin and the chaos that would probably ensue. It would definately have the potential to make the OO more interesting.
Reawakening Danalin would result in the return of the Godswar. Not good for mortals, unless someone gets the Godslayer and beats all of them up.

For instance, sometimes instead of blight you could get tsunamis everywhere, turning lots of land to water.

I like this idea a lot, and those of the OP. I play a lot of games on fantasy maps (where there`s hardly any water), so this would really spice things up and get the old land lubbers scrambling to build ships. Would love to see this alternative to the current Armageddon.

Reawakening Danalin would result in the return of the Godswar. Not good for mortals, unless someone gets the Godslayer and beats all of them up.

But Danalin went to sleep because he just didn't care anymore, so why would he go and break the compact just because he woke up?

Ouch, I was gone for a while. A few hours after I posted that, I realized it was kind of a dumb idea. Like Good Sauce said, a LOT of work for a relatively minor effect. But the idea occured to me because I really like the OO religion over AV, always was a fan of the Cthulhu mythos.

I was thinking that instead of "Infernal Pact", the tech could be replaced by something like Judgement Day. AV would spawn demons from Hell, and it'll still remain the coolest of the Judgement Day results.

If judgement day is researched by a guy with the state religion of OO, it would eventually drive ALL the world's units insane (not enraged). The good civs and low tech civs who've avoided magic and religion would be less affected by it just the way they're less affected by Hell terrain.

Order could have an apocalypse similar to in Conquest of Elysium where the 4 riders of the apocalypse appear and barbarian 'crusaders' start to pop up from Order cities (-1 population) and attack and raze all Evil and Neutral cities. Quantities of crusaders depend on the AC.

Fellowship of Leaves could 'return the world to nature'. At low AC, forests appear. Around 50, forests will regrow over where they were destroyed (destroying mines and towns), and animals start building more lairs. At high AC, jungles start popping up everywhere and we all know that's worse than hell terrain, even for elves ;)

Council of Esus would be too fanatical about gaining wealth. Crime would increase according to the AC value. It would be interesting as you'll be fighting the crime counter rather than the AC directly. At high crime, riots start becoming common and improvements will be burned. At even higher crime levels, the cities will start revolting. Higher AC means that there's a random chance for an assassination attempt, ie. barbarian shadows spawn near a city and attacks.

Haven't really played the other religions yet, so can't say about them. Oh, and I'm not so versed in the vast FFH lore, so sorry if I misjudged something :)

Top Bottom