Alternative Map during 1.18

Leoreth

Blue Period
This is the follow up thread for this one, signifying that we are now out of development for v1.17 and to clear the log and relaunch the discussion.

I will keep using this thread to post updates on what is going on, especially while the development happens mostly behind the scenes.

Right now, I finished setting up regions. This is something I already had put some work into earlier on, so it was mostly cleaning up and expanding upon what was already there. The main differences are:
  • Number of regions nearly doubled to 82, allowing more specificity in using regions to define e.g. religion spread areas.
  • The region of each tile is now displayed by default in the tooltip.
  • Added "water regions" to describe seas and lakes. This has no mechanical impact but allows displaying their name in the tooltip. There are 83 water regions now, most of them lakes.
  • A region is now defined for every tile on the map, including peaks.
  • Regions are defined in a CSV file for easier editing and to avoid wasting memory in Python.

Is this going to be publicly visible on some branch?

Development continues on the map branch, I do not push regularly and don't want to commit to posting updates about every commit here.

Thanks! I was just looking at the changes for fun and saw a tiny opportunity for improvement. I see you've changed the spread of Judaism in the late game from [rCanada, rAlaska, rUnitedStates] to [rOntario, rMaritimes, rAtlanticSeaboard, rMidwest]. This is definitely missing rQuebec—Montreal was historically the main Jewish center in Canada, and though that's less true today, there are still many Jews here. Quebec City also used to have a small community.

I think you should also add rCalifornia and rCascadia, since the West Coast in both Canada and the US has a sizeable Jewish population. The Canadian Maritimes, on the other hand, don't really have one, though it's fine to leave them in the list as a possibility.

Thanks. This is definitely just a first pass that needs to be revisited, and in general I would like to find a solution that syncs the religion spread definitions in RegionMap.py with the scripted spread in Religions.py. With each of these points there is a whole rabbit hole to go down with and I'd rather not end up in wonderland :)

I just finished entirely reimplementing settler and war maps and then defining the new maps themselves. Like other maps, they are now defined as CSV files outside of the Python code. The general principles behind them are the same but I changed the range of numbers and some aspects of what they mean.

Settler values still also control stability. They range generally between 0-20. 1+ means historical area. The AI will not settle any tile with values below 2. The higher the settler value, the more the AI prioritises the tile.

War values range between 0-5. Values greater than 0 means that AIs will be more likely to declare wars on civilizations controlling these tiles, and will prioritise conquering cities with high war values.

This also means that the colour coded tile stability categories on the map have changed:
  • Core Area (cyan): cities in this area contribute to how much population you can control before becoming unstable
  • Historical Area (green): settler value > 0, cities in this area make you less stable but at a significantly reduced rate, founding and conquering cities here grants a temporary stability boost
  • Conquest Area (yellow): settler value = 0 and war value > 1, cities in this area fully contribute to making you less stable, conquering cities here grants a temporary stability boost
  • Foreign Area (red): settler value = 0 and war value < 2, cities in this area fully contribute to making you less stable
That's it. There is no "contested" category anymore - that distinction basically did not make a meaningful difference in DoC 1.17 and displaying it was more confusing than helpful. Conquest area is new concept but the effect itself is not new - in 1.17 is only took effect in your historical area though.

You can look at all the current settler maps and war maps on google sheets.

I also fully recreated the colour coded png stability maps which will attach here as reference (foreign in grey for better contrast). This is just the first iteration of these maps to make the game functional, and there is definitely room for improvement in the details. I have already noticed some things that I want to correct, and plan to give them more attention later on.

Attachments

• America.png
    America.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 982
  • Arabia.png
    Arabia.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 921
  • Argentina.png
    Argentina.png
    125 KB · Views: 767
  • Aztecs.png
    Aztecs.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 730
  • Babylonia.png
    Babylonia.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 706
  • Brazil.png
    Brazil.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 717
  • Byzantium.png
    Byzantium.png
    128 KB · Views: 758
  • Canada.png
    Canada.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 851
  • China.png
    China.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 855
  • Colombia.png
    Colombia.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 837
Last edited:
Congo -> Inca

Attachments

• Inca.png
    Inca.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 779
  • Holy_Rome.png
    Holy_Rome.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 729
  • Harappa.png
    Harappa.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 735
  • Greece.png
    Greece.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 772
  • Germany.png
    Germany.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 822
  • France.png
    France.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 808
  • Ethiopia.png
    Ethiopia.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 826
  • England.png
    England.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 791
  • Egypt.png
    Egypt.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 771
  • Congo.png
    Congo.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 647
India -> Mexico

Attachments

• India.png
    India.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 651
  • Indonesia.png
    Indonesia.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 682
  • Italy.png
    Italy.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 671
  • Iran.png
    Iran.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 730
  • Japan.png
    Japan.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 736
  • Khmer.png
    Khmer.png
    124.7 KB · Views: 729
  • Korea.png
    Korea.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 656
  • Mali.png
    Mali.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 648
  • Maya.png
    Maya.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 646
  • Mexico.png
    Mexico.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 725
Mongolia -> Rome

Attachments

• Mongolia.png
    Mongolia.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 761
  • Rome.png
    Rome.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 759
  • Portugal.png
    Portugal.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 702
  • Polynesia.png
    Polynesia.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 668
  • Poland.png
    Poland.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 627
  • Phoenicia.png
    Phoenicia.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 617
  • Persia.png
    Persia.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 626
  • Netherlands.png
    Netherlands.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 615
  • Mughals.png
    Mughals.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 608
  • Moors.png
    Moors.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 630
Russia -> Vikings

Attachments

• Vikings.png
    Vikings.png
    131 KB · Views: 645
  • Turkey.png
    Turkey.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 636
  • Turkestan.png
    Turkestan.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 618
  • Tibet.png
    Tibet.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 613
  • Thailand.png
    Thailand.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 607
  • Tamils.png
    Tamils.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 655
  • Spain.png
    Spain.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 773
  • Russia.png
    Russia.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 890
Also, for fun but also later design iterations I did the same for religion spread areas.

Cyan = core, green = historical, dark yellow = periphery, light yellow = minority

Note that in practice, for Orthodoxy and Catholicism they are using the composite of all Christian maps until the respective denomination is founded.

Attachments

• Taoism.png
    Taoism.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 868
  • Protestantism.png
    Protestantism.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 768
  • Orthodoxy.png
    Orthodoxy.png
    143 KB · Views: 753
  • Judaism.png
    Judaism.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 720
  • Islam.png
    Islam.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 700
  • Hinduism.png
    Hinduism.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 688
  • Confucianism.png
    Confucianism.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 702
  • Catholicism.png
    Catholicism.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 700
  • Buddhism.png
    Buddhism.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 705
  • Zoroastrianism.png
    Zoroastrianism.png
    128 KB · Views: 934
I also pushed the recent changes to git.

Very nice, hype is slowly building up and these maps look pretty good from a quick glance! I must say though that I was excited to see stability and war maps for some of the new civs such as Kievan Rus and Sweden (especially to compare Swedish colonial territories with those of the Viking civ) but I realized that's probably going to happen later on as I guess they're not implemented yet.

Perhaps a green dot around where Equatorial Guinea is could be included in Spain's map to represent Spanish Guinea?

Last edited:
Can I suggest adding a few green (historical) or dark yellow (peripheral) tiles to the Orthodoxy map around the southwestern tip of India? This would represent the 'Saint Thomas Christians' of Kerala.

Great job! Are those region-based?
Only the religion maps are region based, all stability/settler/war maps are tile based.
Can I suggest adding a few green (historical) or dark yellow (peripheral) tiles to the Orthodoxy map around the southwestern tip of India? This would represent the 'Saint Thomas Christians' of Kerala.
Like I said above, the religion spread maps are region based, so they do not allow this degree of granularity. Maybe a minority status in Dravidia is justified.
What represents those dots in West Africa and the Caribbean in Poland's map?
There were abortive Couronian colonies there, I decided to incorporate them into Poland's maps for some variety.

Top Bottom