Alternative Terrain

We had it set up so that there was no XML changes. You just copied the terrain pack in you wanted. With the default in the FPK files and the alternates in the art folders.

Was Sparth remind of this before he packed the FPKs?

JosEPh

Doesn't matter. The default is the default and is in the FPKs. It is the other terrain packs that should match it. They get copied into the art folders and the way Civ IV works it takes what is in the folders over what is in the FPKs. It has worked this way since v20 or so:D.

In that case, an alternative would be to generate many small packs, from which a player outside of the game would assemble the terrain pack for him/herself.

For example, on my monitor, lush grassland is too bright, so I would choose darker version of it.
Additionally a script/javascript/java small application for working independently of the game could be generated to aid a player in assembly of such pack. Let me think about it.

Seems like I should test out this pack and see whats what. I need to redo all terrain in some way anyway, because I've changed the grid somewhat in water terrains and all terrains should have a matching grid. So some research into whats already been made doesn't hurt.

I am not familiar with "internals" of the map.
The grid is 3D? I guess? And dds files are textures, that span over given squares. So these are different types of files.
The change, you mean to 3D grid?

I am not familiar with "internals" of the map.
The grid is 3D? I guess? And dds files are textures, that span over given squares. So these are different types of files.
The change, you mean to 3D grid?
Nah, by grid I mean the 2D visible grid that appears around plots when you click "ctrl+t". I reduced the resolution of the texture containing the grid by half which led to twice a thick grid width. I also decided to make the grid black as the thicker grid was quite blinding/glaring when white.

P.S. I looked over the textures in this pack; and found the style interesting.
-Rocky had too much perceptual depth (for a 2D texture on a flat surface without normal mapping) but was overall nice.
-No complaints on scrub; it might be the most elegant looking terrain of the pack.
-Plains, Muddy and Marsh looked like satellite pictures covering a large area which did not match the other terrains who looked like they were closer and covered a smaller area. It made them too varied and a bit out of place.
-Ice had very little variations which made it look too blue, A little white snow covering here and there would probably look good.
-Permafrost was far too bright white but I liked the overall style of it.
-Barren had too much craters and it looked more like lunar terrain; a nice terrain but quite out of place.
-Lush and grass were imo too similar.

I will make my own set of land textures as a proposal for SVN inclusion, they will be a bit more simplistic than this terrain pack and closer to what is already in the SVN. I will strive to make them easy on the eye while maintaining a good level of details.

I will make my own set of land textures as a proposal for SVN inclusion, they will be a bit more simplistic than this terrain pack and closer to what is already in the SVN. I will strive to make them easy on the eye while maintaining a good level of details.

Now THAT sounds like a plan :)

Now THAT sounds like a plan :)

For sure my alternative terrain needs a re-work and I do this but first I want end with my current project (re-designing tech icons).

Also my alternative terrain modmod is using different texture system then base BTS one. Its needing less textures to display :D

Also my alternative terrain modmod is using different texture system then base BTS one. Its needing less textures to display :D
I noticed in modmod XML, some terrain types seem to be using files from other terrain types. Is this it?
So it saves memory, causes faster rendering?

I noticed in modmod XML, some terrain types seem to be using files from other terrain types. Is this it?
So it saves memory, causes faster rendering?

Its because all my terrain types is using one blend type:
saltblend2.dds
Yes, its save memory usage (a bit :)

I get this Error

Assert Failed

File: CvArtFileMgr.cpp
Line: 106
SVN-Rev: 8782
Expression: false

Using v36 C2C

The terrain in this pack looks great, but now, at revision 9338, there are substantial terrain changes?
It would need some corrections.
Also:
I noticed, when applying dds files one by one, that not including the grid files in the mod (which in default terrain is too thick for my preference) causes displayed terrain issues. Doesn't the game take default grid instead?
So some option could be making additional option with thinner lines.

If replacing just files with the same names, that would not need changes in xml files.

Were terrain changes so large? I see swamp is gone, the trio tundra-permafrost-ice is redesigned?

The recent terrain changes were quite substantial, yes. The grid lines are thicker because all the new terrain textures were made in half the original resolution to be more performance friendly, The grid consist of two pixels and those two pixels become large in-game when the texture resolution is lower but still cowers the same area on the screen..

EDIT:
I think I tested having a bigger resolution for the textures that contained grid lines than for those that does not, and I seem to remember that the game CTD'ed when turning on the grid lines.
I might make a hi-res terrain modmod someday in the future, for those that like to play with thin grid lines; mind, the hi res won't bring a visible improvement to the visuals other than making the grid lines thinner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom