Altitude Training?

Scout getting this promotion is extremely powerful because you can use hills to extend your "walking distance".

That's stupid. Altitude training just reduces the disadvantage of being at altitude. It doesn't make you perform better there than on the flat. Moreover the main impediment to hiking on hills is the hills, not the altitude. No training will make you run faster up a hill than you can on the flat.

I see a mountain kilmanjaro in my current play through but unforunately it's too faraway for me to make use of it.
I've never been lucky enough to have Kilimanjaro appear anywhere close to where I start out. But once I've located it, I make a point of sending nearly all of my military units on a "pilgrimage" to get the promotion. (Until such time as it is entirely within some other nation's or CS's borders such that I can't move adjacent to it without violating any borders.)

Someone did a related post about making these super units, by beelining HE them making several scouts and fighting a neighbor to get them to scout 3 (+2 vis and +1 movement) then have them find a ruin and get upgraded.

I tried it on emperor and got 1 with out HE, and 2 with. (+altitude training). My current game is (Marathon) Deity with Polynesia. I skipped the HE part and only got scout 1 before I found the ruins but Have got 3 archers now with +1 sight, ignores terrain and altitude training. Works nice since now when they get +1 range they don't need spotters.

By the time HE is available all the ruins are gone. And getting the scout promos will slow down getting logistics on those super archers. Bad idea all around.

I had mt K in my last game, with a scout upgraded to an archer. Through some fun and good warmongering, I got it up to about 280 XP. Quite amazing what double attack, extra range, drill 1-3, march, cover machine guns which ignore terrain penalties and have double moves in hills can do.

Otherwise, the best units to have the promo on are siege. When you can always move your siege 2 per turn through hills, it can make it so much easier to set up for an offensive.

Top Bottom