always getting great library

robincox

Warlord
This is how i nearly always get to build the great library, even tested on immortal difficulty.

Choose iroquis for the forest start bias. First build 2 workers while you reasearch toward writing. Once your second worker is finished, you usually can start building the great library. Now research mining, once you have mining, start chopping trees and you will have built the gl after about 2 to 3 trees chopped down.

and less trees for the Great Warpath and Longhouse, as well as neglecting scouts, warriors, shrines and monuments unless you go tradition. all for a wonder which is actually pretty poor

But still, getting the gl that early, thus slingshooting to philosophy to get an early national college is wort it. You will be in the top scientifically for the rest of the game.

I assume the only reason the Iroquois are recommended is because they have a forest start bias? So wouldn't the Celts work equally well, with the added benefit of possibly giving you an early Pantheon before you cut your forests down?

I assume the only reason the Iroquois are recommended is because they have a forest start bias? So wouldn't the Celts work equally well, with the added benefit of possibly giving you an early Pantheon before you cut your forests down?

Same thing I was thinking. Might have to settle for only one faith from your UA but you wouldn't be hamstringing yourself like an Iroquois would.

Great Library just seems like a big noob trap. It really is kinda useless you can easily catch up and lead science later on. Seems like a waste at the start to go for it.

This strategy is kind of similar to mine with the exception of building a shrine and a scout instead of the second worker. Researching mining after and chopping for the great library. You don't always start out with a lot of forests around to have two workers chopping forests. Adopting aristocracy in the tradition social policy tree is also helpful for an early great library.

Well it does get you a GS point early on. If you can snag the GL and Oracle you can get a lot further along earlier than a civ without it since you can get your first academy that much sooner. The writing slots are nice too since it's a really early opportunity for theming. "Noob trap" is a little bit of an exaggeration because it's definitely worthwhile if you can get it. The AI is just too dumb to plant academies, that's why it can never seem to capitalize on the GL and lets the player catch up so easily.

I haven't gone for it in months though. Too competitive since writing is one of the first techs the AI goes for. The lost production isn't worth it and you'll be left scrambling to catch up if you get beat to it. 9/10 times you're better off building a granary and regular library.

Yupp celts would be just as good ☺

This strategy is kind of similar to mine with the exception of building a shrine and a scout instead of the second worker. Researching mining after and chopping for the great library. You don't always start out with a lot of forests around to have two workers chopping forests. Adopting aristocracy in the tradition social policy tree is also helpful for an early great library.

With the forest start bias, i have nearly every time got enough forest for 2 workers.

Well it does get you a GS point early on. If you can snag the GL and Oracle you can get a lot further along earlier than a civ without it since you can get your first academy that much sooner. The writing slots are nice too since it's a really early opportunity for theming. "Noob trap" is a little bit of an exaggeration because it's definitely worthwhile if you can get it. The AI is just too dumb to plant academies, that's why it can never seem to capitalize on the GL and lets the player catch up so easily.

I haven't gone for it in months though. Too competitive since writing is one of the first techs the AI goes for. The lost production isn't worth it and you'll be left scrambling to catch up if you get beat to it. 9/10 times you're better off building a granary and regular library.

But with this strategy you get gl 9 times out of 10.

I think a salt start with mining first is a better way to go. Any civ can do it.

With the forest start bias, i have nearly every time got enough forest for 2 workers.

That's something else, you could also get jungle tiles. I have nearly every time got to build the great library with a shrine instead.

I think a salt start with mining first is a better way to go. Any civ can do it.

This. Better, granary start with lot of deers/plains wheat. At Emperor or below or mp games it can be appealing only if you get starting land for it and already know at which turn you gonna get it without crippling too much everything else. For example, if i can't get the the GL in 24 turns of faster i just skip it.

The granary start let you bring your cap at 5-6 :c5citizen:, at least.

Top Bottom