Always War Challenge #2- China Immortal

Would almost have to be something like Huns/Mongolia to stand a chance, I think -- need to be able to conquer the world before you get too outteched (because if they get planes and you're not even close to the modern era yet...).

I'm honestly doubtful that it's even doable on Deity unless you get an amazing start and perfect neighbors. Even then it might be a stretch.

I'm not sure Balkoth. I've been at war with the whole world before. If you take Honor, and can stay alive until the finisher, you earn a lot of gold from it. If you take Monty, you would help with culture too.

Any decent war civ should stand a chance as long as there are 2 decent expo locations and the closest neighbour isn't a unit spammer like Oda, but then it's always a struggle starting 10 hexes from Oda. I hate him.

Difference between being able to trade/grow/research agreement and then being at war with everyone in the end-game vs being at war with everyone 100% of the time.

In this game, currently at turn 374. Three capitals left, three different forces assaulting each. One should fall within 5-10 turns, hoping to have gotten all three by turn 400.

By the way, is this a you're at war with everyone or everyone's at war with everyone

By the way, is this a you're at war with everyone or everyone's at war with everyone

No this you are at war with everyone as soon as you meet them. They are at peace with each other signing RAs and trade routes and resource deals. In this game I just took the tech lead late in the game turn 300 something took my first off continent capitol, got nuked and it is a race to see if I can win before someone launches.

I have played with deity but I only think you can win it with other win conditions disabled or someone will get a SV before you can get domination. You can get swarms of longswords and crossbows by turn 80-90. I am playing with it and I have a Korea start on continents that looks promising. I took out first civ turn 45. I don't have the T0 and it has map packs on but I can post it if anyone is interested.

sources of happiness and income have to shift to keep it going. you'll probably need to ally as many CSs as you can on your dom path so you dont have to defend against them as well.

other civs that can try this: Germany with reduced unit costs and a late era UU, Alex with longer CS benefits and early UUs, and England on a water map. if all the caps are coastal for Archipelago maps, then 'always war' should be easier. tech to frigates and run the table. and use Longbows for some defense, land distraction and/or barb clearing.

What about Shaka or even Japan? I think many Civs can do this but not so sure about Deity. I still need to load this game. This series is going to be tough for me but I am sure I am going to post up one or two games in the future but with DCL/ICL/IDS/GOTM games... this series is even stretching my ability to complete games for it. I wonder if Babylon is viable since you can get your military techs quicker? Poland has to be able to work as well no? With them you can basically get Full Honor for free!

I have played with deity but I only think you can win it with other win conditions disabled or someone will get a SV before you can get domination.

I think you're underestimating some of the Deity players on these forums (myself not included). If you post a Deity map with any kind of reasonably decent civ (particularly a civ like China with their CKN's), then it is highly likely that someone (or multiple players) will post a sub-200 domination victory, even on continents and "always war". Some players on these forums never cease to amaze me with their finish times.

OK, I'll roll a map on Deity and post it, provided that at least 3 other people give me the nod that they will also play it. Or a bunch of us could agree to give it a go on the India DCL? War-elephant stomping all over the world? :D

[EDIT: If people want me to roll a map for Always War Deity, then also choose which of these Civs you'd most like:-

America
Denmark
Ethiopia
Rome
Songhai

The other warmonger civs are too strong, basically.]

I vote for Poland LOL!! Well... with the choices you listed I vote for Ethiopia. Wow that was a tough choice. I want USA for the sight and other options. I would like to see what Songhai can do because most players do not like them at all. Denmark is interesting too. However, Ethiopia can almost guarantee me a Religion and the Defense with them is really nice. Let the Holy wars begin once again! I wonder if you could use Heathen Conversion with this game letting your empire into -11 happy for a long time and getting a larger, larger army. I think it would be tough but interesting. I am really getting addicted to Holy Warriors/Heathen Conversion.

I would not want to try this with India. Geesh I was thinking I am going to try for Domination with India on this DCL but Total War with India on Deity might be very, very difficult! Perhaps even impossible for my level of play!

OK, I'll roll a map on Deity and post it, provided that at least 3 other people give me the nod that they will also play it.
OK, you can count on me being crushed by the AI if you post such a map with map packs disabled ;) (if you give us reasonably good starting location : i'm not interested to fight my way out of all swamps)

America
Denmark
Ethiopia
Rome
Songhai :thumbsup:

Their UA would help get even more gold to stay in the race on an always war map.

i'd probably pick Rome or America. Rome for the building bonus in puppets and America for the late UU and vision. But America can scout too quickly meaning meeting and DoWing everyone earlier. I wonder if there is a turtle strategy to meet as few early so you can dominate a couple beforehand. that or play on continents so that the other continent AI cant meet you til they get Astronomy.

the more i think about it, maybe Rome with OCC ticked so that razes are instant (happy reasons). you cant sell any cities anyway with no peace deals. and keep some Legion around for roads to the next victim. but i would use the pillage heal post-raze to speed it up. i dont want to have 10 turns to heal the team. 5 with 2-turn repairs should be enough until March promos contribute (assuming enough workers). but i wouldnt use pillage heal mid-combat to keep the melee or siege alive. full honor/commerce with some liberty (3 for the worker and golden age) and maybe patronage (2-3) plus whatever ideology.

im not good enough to try any of this at deity, haha, but its fun to consider.

edit: thinking even more i guess id switch to America or Ethiopia with OCC ticked. Rome wont get any of the UA bonus from insta-razes. and Ethiopia will always maintain their UA bonus.

ok that is three players with three votes for three different Civs LOL!! I am expecting the next two players to vote for USA and Denmark :)!!

well, whoever submits a save probably wont with OCC on. If OCC, i only have 2 votes, America/Ethiopia. If not OCC, i'd go with Rome. doesnt clear much up but id probably start on Immortal for practice of the mechanics. im not a warmonger at heart and know my deity limits.

When you use the Honor system it works both ways! You have to have Honor in accepting what they say. Hammer Rabbi is clearly stating what he is or is not going to do prior to playing the game so I would say he is still being honorable!! When a player records a game they can fudge that as well but I choose to believe that you played the game out following all rules to the T and if you broke them you would tell us :)!

Edit: Warmonger games always are longer for me and I can't even imagine how long it would take me to play out a Total War game but I will find out soon enough :)!

i probably understand the pillage heal exploit to be something else. i thought, after liberty and pyramids bonus, the one-turn pillage heal with a camped worker letting units heal every turn was the exploit. with only liberty it takes two turns to repair, healing every other turn roughly. and if it isnt during combat then i dont feel im abusing an atypical form of healing since it only happens on the improved tiles left after razing (and also isnt done ad infinitum for the rest of the game for money).

but if you mean repair of any kind and healing then I am mistaken. but also, im not a competitor here, just hypothesizing. im not a deity-grade warmonger either. id probably roll immortal maps to see how it goes, to see if the OCC idea has any merit. doubtful, but it's fun to think about when you cant play.

im not a competitor here, just hypothesizing. im not a deity-grade warmonger either.
Neither am i. Actually i hope to learn some warmongering trick doing this and maybe perform better by not waiting a couple more turns before dowing the next target (in order to build something important and useless to war, or to wait till they no longer give me money, or whatever other nonsense :rolleyes: )

The "pillage heal exploits" refers to being able to being able to repair tiles you pillaged, period. Liberty + Pyramids simply makes the problem worse. Even without Liberty + Pyramids it means you're healing 33%+ faster and, at least early on, making gold out of it.

What's funny is that tiles take 8 turns to repair on Marathon (5 with Pyramids/Liberty) so that's usually not even worth doing at that point.

Top Bottom