amadeus

Serenity now
Please refrain from politics, sex, religion, etc.

Add your own thing.

Am I the only one who hates wall-mounted TVs?

I just don’t like them. I always thought of the TV as, like they used to be, in a cabinet or some kind of console. Lots of people put them up on the wall and then have all this furniture that looks nice itself, but then you have this monstrous black rectangle looming over the whole room. I think it’s jarring.

I'd rather have artwork on the wall, and I'd be constantly worrying about the TV falling.

My own thing I hate is handshaking. I really don't want to shake anyone's hand. Please keep your hands to yourself, because A. I don't know what you've touched and how recently you've washed (this can lead to spreading a cold or flu around); and B. I have both arthritis and fibromyalgia and some days it hurts even to be in contact with the air itself. Some days it hurts to touch my cat, and she has very soft fur. Touching other people can be painful. A respectful nod of the head is sufficient to greet or acknowledge me.

Why refrain from the sex, thats most spicy :mischief:

I hate that I forget names minute after introduction, especcially on first meetings. Sometimes I am then going into detective mod getting the names in various ways to avoid awkardness.

I am not sure how is it in English language, but in Czech and German there is also gap in formality. Simply put, you have to address people in formal way until they will offer you less formal level and you cannot initiate it (because female is superior to man, older is superior to younger,...) But when people offer you less formal, its not any longer normal to adress them formally. This makes communication more difficult because sometimes after some gap between meetings I am not sure in what relation we are. I know some spouses who still adress each other formally and vice versa some unknown people adress you without formality. Its something what I still hate and I am not able to adapt.

Why refrain from the sex, thats most spicy

Moderator Action: the temptation to be too explicit is strong.

I am not sure how is it in English language, but in Czech and German there is also gap in formality. Simply put, you have to address people in formal way until they will offer you less formal level and you cannot initiate it (because female is superior to man, older is superior to younger,...) But when people offer you less formal, its not any longer normal to adress them formally. This makes communication more difficult because sometimes after some gap between meetings I am not sure in what relation we are. I know some spouses who still adress each other formally and vice versa some unknown people adress you without formality. Its something what I still hate and I am not able to adapt.

Not as strictly described here. The more south you go in North America, the more there's an expectation of formal honorifics like sir and ma'am. We don't have formal grammar, though, and a lot of the hierarchal formality is limited to institutions and not socialization. Even then, you can often get away with ignoring it now. I've managed to get through almost thirty years without ever having to be formal, and have mostly been able to reject norms on that front as well (e.g., if someone demands that I call them sir or doctor or whatever, I have been freely able to simply deny that and not suffer consequences).

There is still expectation of obedience to elders in familial systems, but as someone completely divorced from that aspect of socialization, I have no (trustable) opinion on how strict that is these days.

They're too high and they look weird on the wall.

{When I go for walks at night, I can see what everyone is watching in their living rooms, too.}
I hate that. I feel like a creep. And they'd probably think I'm a creep. But I wasn't trying to watch their TV.

gotta hand it to the Japanese on this one
or not hand it
I bow to their ingenious.

I’m not a handshake guy either.
trying to size me up or what?
hands off
:lol: The most conservative sentiment possible. Disease paranoia(which I have definitely some) is the most consistent sign of a conservative mind. But in our world of bumble**** politics, we mislabel things. Because humans lie, firstly, to themselves.

But yes, handshakes are in large part about sizing people up. How open they are to you. That you don't want to touch them is exactly the sort of feedback a handshake seeks.

In the spirit of the thread: online dating. My friends have signed me up for two different sites, well intentioned. I start swiping on people, judging their lives in 10-60 seconds by a handful of photos and a blurb. I hate myself everytime I log on. It's sh!t.

Last edited:
I mean that too. The political was verboten!

And then I screwed it up. Thanks for being gracious.

The thing about TVs at night is a good one. Am I the only one who hates having their blinds open at night?

Older folks and especially Europeans seem to keep their blinds open and it baffles me to no end. The second it starts getting dark, those bad boys are getting closed ASAP. How can you tolerate people being able to look in and see what's going on? Absolutely not.

The direct answer is without respect to forum rules it still offends my sensibilities and it’s my thread.
Dude, if sex offends your sensibilities, you're not doing it right.

The thing about TVs at night is a good one. Am I the only one who hates having their blinds open at night?

Older folks and especially Europeans seem to keep their blinds open and it baffles me to no end. The second it starts getting dark, those bad boys are getting closed ASAP. How can you tolerate people being able to look in and see what's going on? Absolutely not.
Broken blinds and a rental agreement, is my excuse :D

I don't have many hates, per se. Lot of niggles? Things that rub me up the wrong way? But something strong enough to be called hatred, and not in one of the banned categories . . . nah, I can't think of one. And I don't want to nuke the thread by listing my database-sized amount of pet peeves.

I hate that. I feel like a creep. And they'd probably think I'm a creep. But I wasn't trying to watch their TV.

:lol: The most conservative sentiment possible. Disease paranoia(which I have definitely some) is the most consistent sign of a conservative mind. But in our world of bumble**** politics, we mislabel things. Because humans lie, firstly, to themselves.

But yes, handshakes are in large part about sizing people up. How open they are to you. That you don't want to touch them is exactly the sort of feedback a handshake seeks.

In the spirit of the thread: online dating. My friends have signed me up for two different sites, well intentioned. I start swiping on people, judging their lives in 10-60 seconds by a handful of photos and a blurb. I hate myself everytime I log on. It's sh!t.
Oh yeah, don’t do that!

You could get lucky; but the house is here to take your self confidence and, in exchange for the dopamine of possibility, your pro membership money.

Around here even younger folks do it. But I admit it can give a homely feel to a neighbourhood. The house across the road used to be tenanted by a youngish guy with a shiba inu and he would leave his blinds open at night and the dog would sit by the window and look out while he played games and we could tell what he was playing and judge/nod approvingly.

But uhhhhhhhh other people can do that. I'm keeping my blinds firmly closed thanks very much bye

I wish my TV was wall mounted. It's a cleaner look and it frees up some space. But then I have to drill into the wall and stuff. Pluss I need to house various electronics under the TV so there might as well be a cabinet there.

Regarding formality I'm very grateful that's not a big thing here. You rarely call anybody by their last name, regardless of hierarchy, unless for practical reasons. And ff you use sir/ma'am or something like that people will just think you're being sarcastic.

Top Bottom