American Challenge

I will get a few game-starts and see if i can make it work, it sounds fun.

Maybe your right on the euro-economy

as for the corporate goal your right on that also, it wouldnt be applicable. I was only thinking it as a way of "NAFTA" or something, to spread your corps to other civ's. but this is a strategy game, not an RPG.

Wish me luck, ill post some screenies when i win or lose!

Anything that involves the builder approach will not really be a challenge as America, since it's by far the production powerhouse of the world.

i personally think that the hardest part of the building part of the challenge is probably getting the right spawn. you will probably someone build something before you spawn, and then wait another hour for another. Even if you do, you'll probably have someone build it in the 1700's/early 1800's, when the us is still growing. Out of autoplay, there is probably a 9/10 chance that the challenge is impossible.

A corporations goal is... possible, but I've always disliked them as part of the game. Plus its hard to see how much they spread. You could say found X corporations though.

Rhye has already said that there will never be UHV goals involving corporations because only BTS has them (not Vanilla or Warlords).

i personally think that the hardest part of the building part of the challenge is probably getting the right spawn. you will probably someone build something before you spawn, and then wait another hour for another. Even if you do, you'll probably have someone build it in the 1700's/early 1800's, when the us is still growing. Out of autoplay, there is probably a 9/10 chance that the challenge is impossible.

I's rather say 1/10 heh...

VERRRRY close!!! I finally conquered baghdad when the fun began.

I was forced to let it flip to babylon who became my best buddy, so i kept a "peacekeeping force" - i hope that counts. i protected babylon for the rest of my tenure, and without me, they would have fallen many times.

But then... i settled into Alaska and Hawaii. BOOM - i flopped and the independents took over almost my whole nation. Luckily, i had only a token army everywhere but my 3 east coast cities i was allowed to keep, i will try to come back from this and when im done i will post a few crucial save points, im sure you will get a kick out of it.

So not switching to Occupation/State Prop/etc sent you into the gutter when you conquered Baghdad, or what? I have settled Alaska in each of my American games, and it never harmed me...What exactly made you collapse?

And I think espionage may be the best way to control the civics vs. State Prop...America can be an espionage powerhouse if you build Jails, Intel Bureaus, etc. in each city.

IIRC, Baghdad is on America's settler map, so there isn't any penalty for controlling it. Same for Alaska and Hawaii. There must have been something else hurting your stability. It might be a good idea to bring a GA with you to Baghdad to stop cultural pressure, which does hurt your stability. You also might be able to make it into a nice city if you focus on pushing back turkish/arabian borders.

Just remember that stability checks the tile you control, not the cities. So too many tiles outside of your historical borders can hurt.

IIRC, Baghdad is on America's settler map, so there isn't any penalty for controlling it. Same for Alaska and Hawaii. There must have been something else hurting your stability. It might be a good idea to bring a GA with you to Baghdad to stop cultural pressure, which does hurt your stability. You also might be able to make it into a nice city if you focus on pushing back turkish/arabian borders.
Baghdad isn't on the settler map IIRC. I attacked it in a game last night and the name stayed as "Babili". However, Kuwait City is on the map.

Baghdad isn't on the settler map IIRC. I attacked it in a game last night and the name stayed as "Babili". However, Kuwait City is on the map.

The settler maps are not the same as the stability maps. The settler maps dictate to the AI where to build cities, but have nothing to do with stability (although often they will be closely linked). America's settler map, afaik, does not stray too far away from North America, but its stability map has some green spots in the Balkans, Iraq, Liberia, the Philipines, etc.

Whenever I play civ, I play with bother the settler and the stability maps up.

But I think America should have good stability in Mexico, Japan, Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Pacific Islands, but they are completely red.

The Pacific Islands and Korea aren't red...

I think America should have yellow stability a bit further into Mexico than present and Japan should be yellow

BurnEm, I edited in Korea and the Pacific Islands (as well as Afghanistan when I went to preview post, forgetting what I said about the red. My mistake.
And CK, I agree, at least in terms of TL191 (which I just started the other day as a matter of fact (page ~180 as of now.))

I guess Rhye didn't want to give America yellow stability in too many homeland regions since that would allow it to go conquering away without fear of collapse.
I agree though that if it is more historically correct then it should be yellow in Japan and other places that were under heavy influence from America.

The settler maps are not the same as the stability maps. The settler maps dictate to the AI where to build cities, but have nothing to do with stability (although often they will be closely linked). America's settler map, afaik, does not stray too far away from North America, but its stability map has some green spots in the Balkans, Iraq, Liberia, the Philipines, etc.

I meant to say stability map. Sorry about the confusion. I checked the stability maps and they don't have anything in Baghdad anyway, although they have some in southwest Anatolia. Was this changed in the new patch? For some reason I thought I remembered them having some in Iraq.

Top Bottom