American Civil War Playthrough Video

Whats with the names popping up after damage and experience? Anyone know?

I bet that is the "random" thing they were talking about.....maybe random promotions like the Kriss

Every turn I was waiting for Fairfax to fall...never did. Hahaha

Too bad translating terrain features from real life into the game lacked imagination (to emphasize ridiculous firing squads lining up against each other across plains, I guess).

This guy is terrible! He left his great general open IN ENEMY TERRITORY!!

Aha! It is as I always suspected...

...there is no such thing as the CiV 'AI', it's actually just this guy remote-controlling the computer opponents :crazyeye:

So apparently the promotions are named after the commanders.

Terrible playing aside, I liked quite a few things I saw in the preview:

- The withdrawl ability of mounted units (already mentioned).
- The new (and probably scenario-specific) "ocean"-crossing bridge. I like the representation of large rivers in this "small scale scenario"!
- The graphical overhault regarding railroads. IIRC, some graphic changes where mentioned in previous threads. But this video is the first one to show the new railroad graphics in detail and the old glitch is obviously corrected. (For those, who don't know what I am talking about: With the recent graphic engine, the railroads "bed" (english word?) is missing in some directions, so they are representet as very slim "lines". This and the railroad's color in general make them very hard to distinct from normal roads, right now. I mentioned this glitch in the "nitpicking thread" and I am very happy, that my nitpick was obviously covered... :) )

Ahh, I don't have the Inca, they're the only one I don't have.......so I guess tis new to me!

It's well worth having in my opinion! Even though you'll have Spain via G&K, the Incans are a nice addition.

Good to see an English version of the scenario; though I think it's the last thing I'll be looking at when BNW comes out.

I never thought I'd see the Army of the Potomac commanded by someone more incompetent than McClellan. This expansion really is a brave new world.

Is there any info about some new ironclad units? I mean the one thing i remember from my history class was the ironclad battle which ended in a draw

why havent they shown anything about the africa scenario.
thats the intresting one in my oppinion.

I think one reason is that it has one of the new leaders. Not necessarily as themselves, but as replacement. I think its quite likely that the Venetian leader is used as a replacement for Italian leader.

So I expect they reveal more about Africa scenario after we know the 2 last Civs.

Whats with the names popping up after damage and experience? Anyone know?

After one battle, units gain a "general" - these are represented by a promotion. It works just like the Kriss (in fact, I think the Kriss got this ability just so they implement this mechanic in the main game, or vice-versa: lol:)

I think one reason is that it has one of the new leaders. Not necessarily as themselves, but as replacement. I think its quite likely that the Venetian leader is used as a replacement for Italian leader.

So I expect they reveal more about Africa scenario after we know the 2 last Civs.

I don't think so - from the achievements, we can see that the Italian one has Rome's symbol, so Italy is represented by Rome, not Venice.
Really, my only guess is that they decided to leave the juicy scenario for later for the exact same reason they decided to leave the juicy Civilizations for later - more speculation, more hype, etc etc... :p

Hemlock: ROFL nice, very nice...

I almost wish we'd have a voiceover of Lincoln and his reflections on his commanders...

apocalypse: I've seen images about them, but nothing else. Definitely looking forward to those as well!

Yeah that doesn't change the fact that he attempted to do this when he didn't even know that you have to set up cannons to fire them or that Great Generals can't take cities.

Well, that's an entirely different complaint. I was only explaining why he was reviewing the Civil War Scenario instead of the main game or some other feature. Basically, the complaint was that he picked the scenario to review when it's really the last thing that needs to be reviewed. I responded by pointing out that he may not have picked the scenario to review but was asked to do the play through.

I never thought I'd see the Army of the Potomac commanded by someone more incompetent than McClellan. This expansion really is a brave new world.

lol

The use of the generals probably isn't really that bad. Given that they can't be killed and have a range of five tiles, it might well be worth throwing your generals in the way of enemy troops in order to protect the units that can be killed.
The thing I noted from the video is that the "character promotions" which units get in this scenario are all fairly normal ones - Shock I, Sentry, that kind of thing. Just a small tidbit though.

I know probably the bet one in my opinion because it has the civs like Zulus and the europeans, with I hope will add flavour to the mix

I wonder why they haven't shown the Scramble for Africa scenario yet. Is it probable that Venice, not Rome, will represent Italy? I am pretty sure they revealed all of the new civilizations associated with it.

It could be Venice for Italy or it could be the unrevealed NA culture in place of an African one.

I wonder why they haven't shown the Scramble for Africa scenario yet. Is it probable that Venice, not Rome, will represent Italy? I am pretty sure they revealed all of the new civilizations associated with it.

Maybe the Scramble scenario has a great deal to do with one or both of the last two remaining civs? In which case we may get to see it after the civs are announced!

Top Bottom