Amy Winehouse found dead

IMO a low mark ... never been a fan of her, and of the opinion a mediocore musician on her best days

She's why pop music is so female dominated, and why female british singers have been able to make it in the US. She's also made unconventional a standard now for any woman who wants to make it in the pop industry.

Should've gone to rehab, but better dead than dragging on the way she was.

Well, that was stupid of her.

To have all that and throw it away? Stupid, just like Cobain.
Cobain was extremely talented though. Also, IIRC, he had some serious intestinal problems which caused him a lot of physical distress. Not that that's an excuse to do hard drugs but it makes it somewhat more understandable.

I'm sure Amy had her issues but, well, I just don't think singing about addiction & glorifying it to some degree is a good thing.

It is when that Junkie wins 5 Grammies.
I don't mean any disrespect for Amy Winehouse -poor woman- but none of those killed in Oslo yesterday have won Grammys apparently, but even if only one had died it's still be more newsworthy than this.

I don't think if just one person got murdered in Oslo it would have been more newsworthy than Amy Winehouse dying...

Yes, because it's terrorism, not showbiz.

Newsworthy doesn't necessarily correlate with actual tragedy. Tens of thousands are dying of drought right now in Africa (perhaps linked to climate change) which obviously is more tragic than this situation.

The environmental rape we have & are continuing to commit is more tragic than this. Nevertheless, it's easier to relate to a tragedy like this. It's less abstract, when you hear someone's voice you're naturally going to be more affected by their death.

The environmental rape we have & are continuing to commit is more tragic than this. Nevertheless, it's easier to relate to a tragedy like this. It's less abstract, when you hear someone's voice you're naturally going to be more affected by their death.

I don't think there's much that is 'natural' about this. It's a small part the macro effect of marketing and incessant pushing of pop culture, which is part of what is academically known as hegemonic discourses.

Winehouse was my favorite female vocalist -- seeing someone randomly talking about it on Facebook was a rude and unpleasant surprise.

Considering its still barely just Saturday afternoon.. I would suggest that a temporary break from the news would be in order...

All I have to say is I think it's an affirmation of how celebrity-obsessed society is when I see a good deal more people on facebook talking about Amy Winehouse's death than the 90+ killed in Norway, when the former is so much more recent. Resistance? Counter-hegemonic reading? Cultural studies is dead in the water.

So what? Facebook isn't a news aggregation website, it's for connecting with friends. There should be no reason only talk about "important", or even current things on FB. Whats there to talk about with Norway, besides "oh my god that's awful" on FB, unless you want to get caught into a public discussion on the nature of terrorism? If I want to talk about that, I'd come here, not throw it on FB.

I don't mean any disrespect for Amy Winehouse -poor woman- but none of those killed in Oslo yesterday have won Grammys apparently, but even if only one had died it's still be more newsworthy than this.

Nobody is saying this is more newsworthy. God forbid we talk about more than one thing, right?

I mean, whats the point of even having a sports section in the paper then? How we can kick a soccer ball when people are dying in Africa???

She's why pop music is so female dominated, and why female british singers have been able to make it in the US. She's also made unconventional a standard now for any woman who wants to make it in the pop industry.

She also brought this retro-soul sensibility back into popular musical consciousness. I don't think we have Grace Potter or Adele without Winehouse.

So what? Facebook isn't a news aggregation website, it's for connecting with friends. There should be no reason only talk about "important", or even current things on FB. Whats there to talk about with Norway, besides "oh my god that's awful" on FB, unless you want to get caught into a public discussion on the nature of terrorism? If I want to talk about that, I'd come here, not throw it on FB.

Say what you want, but so far I haven't seen anyone deny rather than admit that Amy Winehouse feels somehow closer to them. It's the whole Elvis-died-in-my-living-room kind of thing. You can crap on it and come up with your 'common sense' answer to explain it away, but I didn't just make this up. Besides, it's not like anyone is actually debating Amy Winehouse on facebook :crazyeye: The comments about her have been exactly what you describe as "oh my god that's awful" or at most "she should have stayed in rehab".

Say what you want, but so far I haven't seen anyone deny rather than admit that Amy Winehouse feels somehow closer to them. It's the whole Elvis-died-in-my-living-room kind of thing. You can crap on it and come up with your 'common sense' answer to explain it away, but I didn't just make this up. Besides, it's not like anyone is actually debating Amy Winehouse on facebook :crazyeye: The comments about her have been exactly what you describe as "oh my god that's awful" or at most "she should have stayed in rehab".

Amy Winehouse dying certainly feels a lot closer to me than what happened in Norway. I own her records, have seen many acts that follow in her musical school, etc. I don't know anybody in Norway, and that entire situation is fairly alien to me. Why shouldn't it?

Top Bottom