An idea for a different UU System

MRM

Prince
Well - I read in other threads that people are asking for more UUs, then I had an idea - why should civs have determined UUs at all ? My idea is simple, there should be a UU for each Unit ( and not for each civ ) and if you want for your civ a special UU, than you have to invest more research. For example , if you want pretorians, than you have to research iron working. Now you get only your normal swordsman so far ( even as a roman ) and if you want your Pretorian, you have to do further research on iron working. MAybe for 5 times of the cost for normal iron working. If you are first who discover advanced iron working, than you get your Pretorian UU. ( others may get an minor improved Swordsman as a reward for the investment )

IMO that would make more sence, because lets asume in an alternativ history ( like always in Civ ;) ) , the romans are on their own island, no rivals, no enemys no wars. Would such a roman empire would have developed Pretorians ? I guess not ...

And this system would reflect that there is not only research for discovering new techs, but also research for improving existing techs.

And for gameplay - Would a player with this system try to get every UU ? - Well. maybe but than he risks that all his improved archers, spikesman and sworsman are suddenly overrolled by some tanks of a civ that didn't waste so much time in discovering ancient UUs ... ;)

I like the idea!
But since I've never completely agreed with anyone in my whole life(and I don't intend to start now) I would prefer that it didn't matter who discovered it first. Guess that would make it an "Advanced Unit" instead of Unique Unit :)

Removed for being off topic - I wish I could delete my post. :-/

Mabye the advanced research could be like wonders, only one person can build them and everyone else gets a cash refund. To avoid having one player get all the UUs you should have a limit, two or three mabye, before the option for advanced research disappeared.

or the game keeping track of the total experience your civ has with a unit, number made, total battles, battles won, and if you use it a lot it gets a little better.
or certia promotions getting more effective if you cause that effect more often, take out a lot of melee troops, the bonus vs. melee promotion becomes 60% insted of 50% or whatever.

Pie-es-Tasty said:
...avoid having one player get all the UUs you should have a limit, two or three mabye, before the option for advanced research disappeared.
One per Era, I'd say. Once you got your UU for that era, you'll have to wait for the next one.

Top Bottom