An Ode to Alpha Centauri

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
No longer mere Civ-beings or Fan-beings are we, but bright children of the stars, and together we shall dance in and out of ten billion turns. Celebrating the gift of Civilization, until the next turns themselves grow cold and weary, and our thoughts turn again to the beginning of a new game.

Getting started with a new Civ has led my mind wandering back to that oh-so-wonderful offshoot and all the innovations, firsts, or great features it had. It's been over a decade and yet it seems the development of Civ can still learn from it. Consider what all it had to offer:

• Social/government combinations.
  • First with improved empire borders.
  • Compelling leaders, first with unique traits.
  • Asimov-level storytelling quality.
  • Terrain modification, and not a fixed palette, but realistic variations of moisture, rockiness, altitude.
  • Customizable units.
  • Semi-nationalized resources via supply crawlers. You could ship food from a food-heavy city to a production-heavy city.
  • Natural landmarks.
  • Amazingly fun tech victory story.
  • Some of the best wonder videos of a Civ game.
  • Naval cities and improvements.
  • Artillery bombardment.
  • Most fun nukes in a Civ game. Kerplow! Your enemy's now literally a smoking crater.
  • Game events (Perihelion).
  • Meaningful global diplomacy organization.
  • First decent city governors.
  • Mindworms - more interesting than Barbarians have ever been!

While reminiscing it reminded me of how long it took the core Civ series to adopt some of these innovative features. Civ III even took that backward step with governments for a while there, which was most surprising to me.

It's funny to see this post as i been having the craving to play SMAC for a while again :)

SMAC was, and is, a glorious paradigm of turn based strategy. :D

Damn good game, but I hated that reddish fungi landscape...

Yup that was the only annoying side of things- had they only made a CIV game out of that engine. /sigh

Hums " I don't know what you've been told, Deidre has a network node..."

Rat

SMAC is a great game. It's a shame that the AI can't handle it well though. However, SMAC had a lot to offer even though it had an incompetent AI ...

Hums " I don't know what you've been told, Deidre has a network node..."

Rat

'...loves to press the on/off switch, she's that crazy kind of witch.'

Love that one. Apparently the developers snuck it in under Brian Reynolds nose, or so the story goes... Damn, now I'm getting an SMAC craving. Always go back to it sooner or later...

SMAC is the only strategy game I know that has a South Park episode inside ( "Hey, get off my planet! ... ")... only that would be enough to put it on a whole diferent league :D

Seriously, you know when a game is good when you use words of a caracther there verbatin to explain the rudiments of genetics to a layman ( "Genes are not blueprints... " ) ... Yup, I've done that once :faint: OFC that SMAC had hugely unbalanced stuff, but it was pretty playable as a game and had some serious thought poured on the storylines. And in some sections it still beats any of the civ games ( the terrain scheme was hugely superior to any of the civ games and it had actual climate ... not mentioning that rivers actually flowed from high places to low places :lol: )

That is pretty expectable , given that civ V AI has far less knobs to move than SMAC one. And the fact it was made a decade after SMAC ... ;)

But SMAC AI atleast was pretty clear about the feelings they had for you and the reasons why they felt that way :D

SMAX > Civ 5

Its interesting to note that the Civ5 AI is already better than SMAC's ever was.

That's sarcasm right? Given the decade difference when they were made. The entirety of SMAC I could install on one dim of medicore present day RAM...

That is pretty expectable , given that civ V AI has far less knobs to move than SMAC one. And the fact it was made a decade after SMAC ... ;)

But SMAC AI atleast was pretty clear about the feelings they had for you and the reasons why they felt that way :D

And they actually *had* reasons and personalities, unlike the Civ5 AIs. But they weren't 100% predictable, fortunately (except possibly for Chairman Yang...)

Top Bottom