• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Ancient Era Tips

ndthsmdy

Warlord
Okay, so we're all kind of Civ 4 idiots right now (unless your name is Sulla or Sirian and you've been testing it for six months), so I thought I would focus on tips and strategies for the Ancient Era. On the higher difficulty levels (at least in my experience), you may not be winning once you get out of it, but a strong Ancient Era obviously puts you in a much better position to make a charge later in the game.

1) One of the biggest jumps between Civ 3 and Civ 4 is the number of improvements that you can make to your land. So much for just roads, railroads, irrigation, and mining...

The improvements that you can make with Ancient Era technologies are camps, cottages, farms, fishing boats, mines, pastures, and quarries. All of these are unlocked by Ancient Era technologies, and it is going to depend on the kind of land and resources you have as to which of these techs you should care about.

If you have deer or ivory, you're going to want to make Hunting a priority so you can build a camp. Furs are also best used with camps, but only commercially, which is not as important as food or production when you are a young civilization. Hunting is pretty unimportant if you don't have one of these three resources, however.

Cottages are unlocked by Pottery, and are the AI's favorite construction when it doesn't know what to do with a tile. Early on, unless you are a financial leader, there are probably more important things for you to pursue; however, if you are financial, you should definitely make a beeline, because the more cottages you build early, the larger the pile of money you will be sitting on in the Medieval and Industrial Eras.

Farms are a godsend if you are by fresh water. They come with Agriculture, and are the best use of tiles by fresh water even if they do not have corn, rice, or wheat. You will get exactly the kind of growth you are hoping for if you get workers out to build farms on lands by fresh water, especially if it is grassland. The proximity to fresh water is important, because farms can't be built elsewhere until the Civil Service Tech (an early medieval tech), so if there is no fresh water in sight, take your time getting to Agriculture.

Fishing boats are what you do with clams, crabs, or fish, and it makes a huge difference in your food production. If any of these resources are in the range of one of your cities, get to the Fishing tech as soon as possible. You have to build a fishing boat in a coastal city before you can maximize use of these resources, so plan ahead.

Mines add +2 production to hills, which is awesome. This is also the way to exploit copper (visible through Bronze Working), iron (visible through Iron Working), Gems, Gold, and Silver. If you have any of the latter three resource luxuries, or copious amounts of hills, you should make sure to get Mining soon. You should make sure you get mining soon anyway though, because mining is the tech that enables you to get Bronze Working and Iron Working. It's a bit of a roll of the dice (after all, nothing says you'll have copper or iron in your lands), but if you do have them, you'll want to get to them and hook them up as soon as possible, because copper and iron is the sole means of obtaining a dominant Ancient Era army. Knowing whether you have copper or iron in your territory is going to make a huge impact on your strategy. Playing multiplayer makes this tech doubly important.

Pastures are what you build when you have horses, cows, pigs, or sheep. A pasture on all of these resources except horses will boost your food considerably. If you have horses, you need to get the Animal Husbandry tech, and then go for the Horseback Riding tech, to make best use of your resource (Animal Husbandry enables pastures, and Horseback Riding enables the Horse Archer as long as your city is connected by road to the horses). If you have cows, pigs, or sheep in your city range--well, the food bonus is still a big deal, so get to Animal Husbandry and get a worker out to that tile as soon as you can.

Having a quarry is also a big deal if you are playing single player and have stone or marble within your range. Stone and marble cut in HALF the hammers necessarily to make several early wonders, so getting to Masonry (which requires Mining OR Mysticism) is essential. If you are a philosophical or creative leader and you have either of these resources, this should be your first priority--because you want to get your hands on as many wonders as you can.

2) Getting an early worker out is key if you find yourself in a resource rich or near fresh water starting point. Workers cost more than they do in Civ 3, but your civilization will not be anywhere near its capacity until you make one, so this is undoubtedly an early priority. If you got screwed by the map, don't worry about rushing it, even if the game recommends that you do--if you got screwed, you got screwed. The best thing to do is to react according to your leader traits: if you are aggressive, build military units and try to find copper or iron; if you are philosophical or spiritual, build cultural improvements; if you are industrious, build any improvement. Don't waste your time with workers until you can actually do something with them.

3) The Mining>Bronze Working>Iron Working tech line is important in single player, and downright mandatory in multiplayer. As mentioned earlier, this will enable you to find copper and iron, which will have a huge impact on your strategy. Most of the early military units (swordsman, spearman, axeman) require these resources, so if you don't have them, you better start building a whole lot of archers fast. Having horses (and the horse archer unlocked by Horseback Riding) helps, but if you find yourself bordering an aggressive Civ with these resources (or worse, Greece or Rome with their unique ancient units), you better kiss some major butt, or they're going to crush you.

4) There are three ancient era religions, that are founded by the first to three ancient technologies: Buddhism (meditation), Hinduism (polytheism), and Judaism (monotheism).

If you start with mysticism (the first level tech that enables all three of those religious techs), you'll probably want to go straight for founding a religion. Polytheism is the precursor to Monotheism, so going for Hinduism is the safest bet (if you miss it, you're still in good shape to get to Judaism). Buddhism is a hit-or-miss tactic: if you get it, you will be the first in the world to found a religion; if you don't, you're not in any better position to found another one. The choice is yours, but so far I've had great success going after Hinduism or Judaism.

If you don't have mysticism, it may not be worth it to go straight after religion. After all, there are still four religions to be founded in the Classical and Medieval Eras. I've found that if I don't start with mysticism, it's a good idea to shoot for alphabet (an early Classical tech). This enables technology trading which will put you in a better position to acquire those religious techs (which you may have ignored) that are precursors to the later four religions. And even if you don't found one of the seven, it's still not the end of the world as long as you've paid attention to your leader strengths and have taken advantage of the time other Civs have spent building religious things to gain over them in other areas (i.e., MILITARY).

5) The wonders seem to be pretty balanced, in the sense that there are no "must-haves" no matter who you are or where you start. But, there are certain situations that make them far more important. If you are industrious, philosophical, or spiritual, wonders are a big part of leveraging your traits to your advantage. If you have stone in addition to either of these traits, it's pretty dumb to not make a push toward Stonehenge (mysticism). If you have marble, it's pretty dumb to not make a push for the Oracle (priesthood). Both of these have benefits that are very good to have early on.

6) Getting a settler out ASAP is not as important as Civ 3, since it can tank your economy if you do it too soon, but it's also good to get your cities going as soon as you can. You will still find yourself in positions where depending upon where your neighbors are, you will want to grab certain pieces of land before they do. Settlers are more expensive, however, so I would recommend considering carefully your proximity to good things to have (resources, etc.) as well as the proximity of your neighbors before you take the time to build one. Getting a good start on your military, improvements, or wonders can be just as important depending upon what kind of traits you have.

7) In short, Ancient Era play seems to be mostly dependent upon your leader traits and your available resources. These factors should impact what you build in your cities as well as your tech choices, which are even more important. If you combine these tips with some of the old Civ 3 tips (micromanagment, adjusting the tech/tax slider every turn, etc.), you should find yourself in a good position emerging into the Classical Era.

This is an EXCELLENT walkthrough. :goodjob:

ndthsmdy said:
(...) Cottages are unlocked by Pottery, and are the AI's favorite construction when it doesn't know what to do with a tile. Early on, unless you are a financial leader, there are probably more important things for you to pursue; however, if you are financial, you should definitely make a beeline, because the more cottages you build early, the larger the pile of money you will be sitting on in the Medieval and Industrial Eras.(...)

IMO, the player can learn from the AI here.If you are in doubt what to do with a tile (especially grasslands and floodplains - the ones which can support a citizien on their own), build a cottage.They need a lot of time to improve.The earlier you build them, the better and the more you get out of them.And if you change your mind later, you can still tear them down again without losing much.But if not, you have earned a lot of extra money.

A really good article, could be even a first candidate for the Strategy Articles.At least much better than the first thread which appeared yesterday there...

Here is the $40 question:

At what city size should I put growth on pause to make my first worker?

Extra credit:

First settler?

Have you even read the article? The correct answer is: "It depends!". On your leader, your surroundings, your enemies, resources, game difficulty and whatever. If you want a standard strategy that always works you shouldn't play civilization, imho.

ps: you can send me a private message and I'll give you my bank account number. ;)

I'm going to do some math on this and expand on this good article...see if i can't calculate optimal start timings.

ndthsmdy said:
Cottages are unlocked by Pottery, and are the AI's favorite construction when it doesn't know what to do with a tile. Early on, unless you are a financial leader, there are probably more important things for you to pursue;

Well since roads do not generate commerce, cottages take on a new importance. Commerce is the life blood, even more important than production, I feel. With a strong commerce in your empire, you can afford to rush more often, afford easy upgrades, and still fund good research. In late stage, when cottages become towns, and with the right civics, they produce commerce and hammers.

Not to say the other improvements are not important, but cottages in the long term can be vital.

Don

Except you can't rush with money until very late in the game, with Universal Suffrage. I suppose you can try for Pyramids, but if you do that you'll usually take Representation, not Suffrage.

I agree with what you say. I would like to add one thing from my game experiences...build military units have 2-3 min in each city early. I have experienced Waves of barbarian attacks...and they are not pushovers anymore. also I have noticed that they benefit from your research so don't be suprised to see barbarian archers/swordsmen/macemen. I have heard also in these forums about their cities, thats right cities, producing gunpowder units if you don't conquer/raze them in time. Just warning you - I fear barbarians more than any civ - you can make peace with a Civ.

WONDERFUL ARTICLE, I jut got Civ4 a day ago, and this DEFINATLY tells the gospel truth.

Very good post.Nice reading for us in Sweden without :mad: :mad: this awsome game.Will be taking notes and preparations so that i am prepared on th 4th of Nov when i can get my greedy fingers on it.

The flip side of stronger barbs is that they also build cities. I stumbled upon a barb city on the other side of my continent (two other civs in between) with a mapping chariot and managed to take it - that city ended up #1 on the Top 5 cities list and ended up flipping two cities a rival civ built nearby! :eek:

Such things do place a burden on maintenance costs short term, so be aware.

Here's my question - What should you do if you end up founding two religions - obviously I am playing at a low level just to get the feel but I think it will be possible at higher levels depending upon number of AI opponents. Do you name one your state religion and convert the founding city or do try and build more than one shrine to get revenue from more cities?

I've been way, way behind in the religion race - missing Hinduism and Buddhism both (starting w/o mysticism). But I've still managed to get to Judaism first in the five or six games I've started. Whoever's getting to Hinduism first is stopping there and letting me pass them to get to monotheism first. So Judaism is almost a sure thing for non-mysticism civs.

congregation said:
Isn't science generated from commerce? Wouldn't that make the cottages important?

I didn't say cottages weren't important--I just said there might be better things to do in the Ancient Era. Once I've got my resources hooked up and feel like I've got enough workers to handle my expansion, I'm a huge fan of the cottage spam :D

I'm not terribly sold on the uber-importance of founding early religions. 1) There's still four more to go, 2) CoL is a top-notch Classical tech even without the Confucianism and Philosophy (Taoism) follows straight from it, 3) The Theology>Divine Right track (Christianity>Islam) has been pretty much AI ignored in most of the games I've played, 4) You get a free missionary to send to the pagan capital of your choice for these later four, and 5) Using a founded religion to your advantage takes work, so not having one early on can give you an opportunity to focus on other things.

Not saying religions suck, or that you shouldn't go for an early one if you're Phil or Spir, just that it might not be that big a deal to wait on it. Thoughts?

(Glad people seem to like the Ancient tips. Maybe I'll give Classical a shot in the next couple days.)

In the Sulla walkthrough, the Gandi AI developed two religion (Buddishm & Judiasm) in the Ancient Era. Can someone explain the advantage/benefit of taking that approach?

There are some great pointers in here, thanks! A lot seems to be dependent on leveraging your civs particular traits. I must say I'm a relative newbie when it coes to that. Is there an article on that i can read somewhere?

Also, In my first few games I've been putting most of my workers on Auto, and the others on build road network (to get trade going). This results in a lot of cottages. I haven't spent too much time trying to see if there are better things to be done with the land, but I imagine there are. I'll have to pay closer attention...

szn8t4 said:
In the Sulla walkthrough, the Gandi AI developed two religion (Buddishm & Judiasm) in the Ancient Era. Can someone explain the advantage/benefit of taking that approach?

I think that one advantage is that you deny the other nations the benefits of the Holy City. Playing as the Arabs, I get tons of Great Prophets. I also got six of seven religions, so I used the first six to make the specific wonders to each religion. That's culture out the Wahzoo. Also for each religion in a city, you may build a monastery, which is a lot culture and science. Holy Cities increase dramatically the frequency of Great Prophets. The down side is that I've only seen one Great Person of any of the other types in that game. I could use more academies...

Top Bottom