Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

More Israelites in guard stance. Phoenicians and early Carthaginians would look very similar.
@Fairline Thank you for providing with the toolset and patterns to do so.

Attachments

• Tanelorn more ancient Israelites.png
    Tanelorn more ancient Israelites.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 669
This covers non mercenary early Carthaginian unit types from Mago's 550BC institution of a largely mercenary army up to just after the 275BC war against Pyrrhus of Epirus.

Early Phoeni/ Libyan spearman, Carthaginian cavalry, Carthaginian heavy chariot. After their defeat at Krimisos in 341 BC by Timoleon, the Carthaginians began to hire Greek mercenaries which implies that their own Libyan spearmen, probably reluctant conscripts at this period, were not as good. Early Carthaginian cavalry were markedly inferior to Sicilian Greeks. Conversely their chariots superiority over Sicilian Greek cavalry at Krimisos and their (albeit unsuccessful) frontal charge against hoplites at Tunis also suggests aggressive chariot use.

Attachments

• Tanelorn early Carthaginians.png
    Tanelorn early Carthaginians.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:

Sherden, the original bronze age horned helmet, longsword wielding pirates and mercenaries. Famously part of the Sea Peoples onslaught 1208 BC - 1176 BC, they were already employed by the city-states of Canaan and Syria between 1340 BC, after the fall of the Amorite dynasties to the Hittites and 1100 BC, during the rise of the Mitanni. From 1276 BC onwards they formed the New Kingdom Egyptian Shardana Royal Guard. By 1200 BC, substantial numbers of Libyan and Sherden mercenaries were supplanting native New Kingdom Egyptian troops. Very large numbers were incorporated into the army of Rameses II in Qadesh and Rameses III after the laters defeat of the Sea Peoples in 1176. During the reign of Ramesses XI the kingdom split up (1069 BC). Eventually, a Libyan chieftain called Sheshonq made himself Pharaoh and the Shardana Royal Guard served his Libyan Egyptian dynasty (946 BC - 712 BC), while a religious fanatic dynasty fron Kush came to rule the south. A 730 BC-712 BC southern crusade eventually succeeded in ending Libyan rule and the Shadana royal guard with it.
Did they come from Sardinia and end up in Sardis? Was it the other way around? Great mysteries...

Attachments

• Tanelorn Sherden mercenaries.png
    Tanelorn Sherden mercenaries.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 548
  • Tanelorn Sherden mercenaries B.png
    Tanelorn Sherden mercenaries B.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:

Harbinger of the bronze age collapse, 1208 BC - 1176 BC, the Sea Peoples confederacy obiterated the bronze age empires. They included the Sherden (Sardinians?), Lukka (Lycians?), Ekwesh (Acheans, Myceneans), Teresh (Tyrrhenians, Etruscans?), Shekelesh (Sicels, Sicilians?) -edit: fix-, Peleset (Philistines, Cretans), Tjekker (Teucrians, from the Troad? possible Hittite etymollogy), Denyen (Danaoi, Argives?) and Weshwesh (Carians?). The Peleset were settled in Palestine, to which they gave their name, as Egyptian military colonists, amalgamated, intermarried with the Canaanites and became the biblical Philistines.

The Teresh would fight as unshielder skirmishers and sported tight turbans, supposedly.

The Sekelesh had swept up hair, Marge Simspon style.

Assyrian heavy chariot

And some variant detail chariots.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Sea Peoples.png
    Tanelorn Sea Peoples.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 534
  • Tanelorn Teresh skirimisher.png
    Tanelorn Teresh skirimisher.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 511
  • Tanelorn Sekelesh skirimisher.png
    Tanelorn Sekelesh skirimisher.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 521
  • Tanelorn Assyrian Qurubuti heavy chariot.png
    Tanelorn Assyrian Qurubuti heavy chariot.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 518
  • Tanelorn chariot variants.png
    Tanelorn chariot variants.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

Some mods of Fairline's MGE and Sea Kings bronze age units brought to current dimentions (hopefully). I am missing the hero units from the King David scenario and non combat units. Will do.
There are bronze age Chinese a few pages back. Urnfield and nordic bronze age next.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Bronze Age Mods.png
    Tanelorn Bronze Age Mods.png
    354.3 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

Some mods of Fairline's MGE and Sea Kings bronze age units brought to current dimentions (hopefully). I am missing the hero units from the King David scenario and non combat units. Will do.
There are bronze age Chinese a few pages back. Urnfield and nordic bronze age next.

Incredible Tanelorn collection, I really like it. The only thing I think is missing is the Hebrew cavalry. I'm going to send the King David scenario because these units undoubtedly deserve it. Greetings

Late Mycenaean Greek and Trojan war 1250 BC- 1050 BC.
This covers the later period of Mycenaean Greece and the Trojan War. It includes the Iliad. The Achaeans fight as regulars where military structure of the Palace Culture was still in place. The elderly and conservative Nestor's Pylians are represented in the Iliad as using the tactics of the earlier period. The spearmen are described by Homer as pressing "shield against shield" and "in their closed formation, dark as a cloud, bristling with shields and spears". Otherwise, focus and equipment has shifted to individual combat and irregular warband formations such as Achiles Myrmidons. Also, the first cavalry appeared and chariots took on a battle-taxi role for prominent warriors.
North west European and Nordic bronze age 1650 BC- 315 BC.
This covers the armies of the North European Bronze and Early Iron Age. Despite the chilling evidence from several sites of Neolithic bow warfare, the Early North European Bronze Age is conventionally thought to have been a prosperous time of organised theocratic states who spent their energy in constructing vast religious monuments such as Stonehenge, rather than in war. The whole Hyperborean Apollo worship myth, perhaps. Its downfall seems to have been through over-population and climatic change. It has been postulated that the Beaker culture priest-kings relied on mercenaries adding copper and later bronze axe and short sword/dagger to their bow, before being succeeded by Urnfield warrior-rulers. Long spears now became an important weapon, outnumbering swords 10 to 1, but do not seem to have been used in formation. The rich used bronze armour. Horsemen are depicted in hand-to-hand combat. The Iron age Celts brought an increased use of chariots in war and the near disappearance of the bow. It seems they weren'y spared by the Bronze age collapse either, as evidenced by theTollense valley battlefield...

Attachments

• Tanelorn late bronze Mycenaeans and Europeans.png
    Tanelorn late bronze Mycenaeans and Europeans.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Bringing Iraqi donkey carts and literal doors to the fight, the Sumerians.
Oh, and all that hard study and car repair you had to do, personally? They're to blame.

Household axeman and archer.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Sumerians.png
    Tanelorn Sumerians.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Tanelorn Sumerian Household Axeman.png
    Tanelorn Sumerian Household Axeman.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

Amorites and Sargonid Akkadians 2334 BC - 2193 BC, and the third dynasty of Ur, 2112 BC- 2004 BC.
Peaceful semitic Amorite settlement of Mesopotamia began around 2500 BC, but this later accelerated into violent invasions following the progressive desiccation of the open steppe of the Arabian-Syrian hamad. They gradualy replaced the Sumerians. Sharru-kin, or Sargon of Akkad, the biblical Nimrod, became for all Mesopotamians the paradigm of a military conqueror, "The King of Battle", and the most illustrious and revered monarch of the ancient Near East. Akkadian armies campaigned far beyond Mesopotamia into Syria, Cyprus and the Mediterranean, Anatolia, highland Iran, and down the Gulf to Oman. His Akkadian empire was the first empire in history. This also covers the armies of the so-called "Sumerian Renaissance": the Third Dynasty of Ur.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Amorite and Sargonid Akkadian.png
    Tanelorn Amorite and Sargonid Akkadian.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Superb collection. I've had updating my bronze age units on my to-do list forever, without ever getting round to it. You've more than made up for my laziness, and added loads of extras

Superb collection. I've had updating my bronze age units on my to-do list forever, without ever getting round to it. You've more than made up for my laziness, and added loads of extras
I have to admit I am often half-assing it, hoping you will be bothered enough to step in and do a proper job... 😁

Iberian muslim Granadine mounted acher 1232-1340 and crossbowman 1232-1490, raised instead of the Ghuzz Turkoman (and Kurdish) mercenaries employed previously (1082-1232) by the fanatic Berber Murabit and Almohad overlords of Spain.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Granadine Light Horse.png
    Tanelorn Granadine Light Horse.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Top Bottom