And now the news for Iraqi parrots: bird flu in Iraq

Bozo Erectus said:
now they have to deal with the most deadly imaginary disease known to man!:eek:

Oh right, forget about the plague that killed 1/3 of europe and smallpox which killed 300 million world wide. A flu is the worst thing this world has seen.

luiz said:
That's correct. And the rest of my post explains why I think such death toll is very unlikely to happen in the present, even if the virus mutates and starts to spread from human to human. :p
Surely. But it will be because there are histeric people who will take the means to avoid it. :)

:p
blackheart said:
I think it is highly likely. Even given our current technology and medicine, such a virus would likely spread across the globe within a few weeks due to plane travel and such. Even if you find a cure fairly quickly, we don't have the capabilities to make a cure for a billion people.
Let's make an online bet, than. I bet 100 bucks that from 2006 to 2015 malaria will have killed more than the bird flu. Deal? :p ;)

On a more serious note, I'm all for precautions. I just hate doom prophecies. Bird flu is definately not the greatest threat facing mankind right now.

Bozo Erectus said:
Its been leaping to humans from close contact with birds, but not human to human. It probably never will, its all hype.

luiz said:
The bird flu has killed around 80 people since 2003. Compare this to the death toll of malaria only in the last month, and have a surprise.

The fear of a global epidemy of bird flu is the stupidest, most irrational fear since Y2K.

as pointed out by others, the Spanish Flu, a pandemic that killed more people than WWI, is H1N1. A typical bird flu virus mutated to be transferable to humans, and then again to transfer from human to human.

Every few years, a pig or bird flu will kill a few humans, usually in Shanghai or HongKong. Usually, the world lucks out. But do you really want to count on 'lucking out'?

Top Bottom