Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy

Futumch

Calm as a Coma
My rough idea is to create a scenario where you control one of the seven kingdoms of post-Roman England.

A bit of background - after the contraction of the Roman empire, what was formerly Brittania became a rump of post-Roman territory, and new confederations of tribes formed kingdoms to fill the vacuum left by the Romans. In the meantime, the northern part of England was subjected to incursions and small scale invasions by Viking raiders. Some of these Vikings liked the place so much, they set up their own kingdoms in the North.
The Heptarchy refers to the period in history of a few hundred years where seven client kingdoms all jostled about for supremacy. It occured roughly in the Dark Ages / early part of the Middle Ages.

The seven kingdoms were (in no particular order) :
East Anglia (capital Rendlesham, leader Guthrum)
Mercia (capital Leicester, leader Ethelbald)
Northumbria (capital Durham, leader Erik Bloodaxe)
Wessex (capital Winchester, leader Alfred)
Sussex (capital Hastings, leader Aethelweath) - Roman remnant
Kent (capital Dover, leader Aethelred)
Essex (capital Chichester, leader Sigered)

As far as heraldry goes, the kingdoms all used a really restricted palette of red, white, blue and gold. Some licence will have to be taken to make the kingdoms stand out against each other. Alongside those four colours, green, navy-blue and purple will be added to differentiate the kingdoms' primary colours, and a high-contrasting secondary (white, red or gold) will help here.

The map would be a reconstruction of middle-ages Britain on a flat rectangular map. If you have seen the old (really old) game called Defender of the Crown (Amiga, 1986) that uses a single map of Britain with Ireland and France sort of dulled out. Similarly the Australia scenario omits Tasmania in order to focus on one playing field.

Initially my objective would be to get the seven kingdoms working as normal civs on that specific map, but in the long run I would like to make the scenario into a medieval conquest style map, where there is only a limited amount of units to choose from, all with medieval characteristics.

That's the plan so far. Once the mod tools and map maker get a bit more care and attention, I'm keen to progress from rough draft to prototype. Should be fun.

Top Bottom