Another Hypothetical Situation

Should the store have a legal obligation to provide a chair?

• Yes, they should.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • No, they shouldn't. (X should provide his own chair.)

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • I need more information to answer.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
Okay, so X has a medical condition where he cannot stand for more than 10 minutes at a time. X gets a job at a corner store, as a clerk. This job requires standing a lot. Should the store have a legal obligation to provide a chair for X?

Poll coming.

Edit: Sorry the poll is multiple choice. Please only pick one. If moderators see, could they please switch it to single-choice?

If you can't stand for more than 10 minutes, you won't get hired at a corner store anyways unless you didn't tell the employer. In which case, they have no legal obligation.

'X' needs to think about these things before going for a job that requires a lot of standing.

If 'X' wants a job that requires lots of standing, then 'X' should provide his own chair. It was his decision to get a job that conflicts with his disability of which he was undoubtedly aware.

'X' needs to think about these things before going for a job that requires a lot of standing.

Indeed, but I believe if this condition manifests itself after they have started employment ten their may be a legal requirement to accommodate him.

Why would a person who can't stand get a job what requires a lot of standing? The store is not to blame, X is.

If he willingly applies for a job that requires a lot of standing, then it's his own fault if he gets fired for not being able to do so; plus the store has no legal deal where they MUST provide a chair...he should just bring his own or get a friend to help him out.

Why does the job require standing? Would his job performance be adversely affected by him sitting? If it would affect the job, then no, the store has no legal obligation and he shouldn't've taken the job in the first place. If it would not affect the job, then yes, the store must provide him a chair. (Yes, there is law that addresses this. It's something to the effect of "reasonable accommodation". I'm not sure whether it's just state law.)

If he told the manager/supervisor about his condition, and they still hired him, then yes, they should provide the chair. If he failed to mention it, then it is his own responsibility.

They probably should provide the chair, but not have a legal obligation. X is responsible for having a chair or not.

Any Canadian lawyers here?

I don't know about legally, but ethically, if the fellow knew he couldn't stand up for long and didn't mention it during the hiring process, that fellow is a moron and should be fired for clearly being too stupid to effectively do his job, no matter what disability laws are at issue.

its a chair, how expensive can it be?

You all assume that other jobs are available to X.

Yep, there probably are. If there's no jobs they can do, there's other avenues to go down. If I have no jobs available to m, and I'm not physically strong enough to be a fireman, should emergency services be legally required to supply me with some sort of cyborg suit?

I find the general lack of humanity here pathetic.

Too many prospective firemen getting cyborg suits is to blame for that, I think.

If you're physically unable to do what a job requires, then don't try and get that job. Simple enough.

While I think Lucy is technically right from the legal standpoint, I don't believe the store should be liable in the slightest. He should bring his own damn chair. Maybe the store can give him some leftover milk crates, if they're feeling generous.

And I've met many people with this exact condition. It's called obesity.

Top Bottom