[BTS] Anstieg von Österreich

Gruekiller

Back From The Beyond
Supporter
Game stats: map is Eurasia Plus by Jabarto. 18 civs. No random events, Choose religions. New World empty to allow colonization. Playing as Franz Joseph (Charlemagne) of Austria (Holy Rome). Victories: Conquest, Domination, Space Race, Diplomatic. Just starting now. Will add more onto this later today. Recommended listening for this story is Mozart and the Sound of Music. xD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ersten Jahren des Österreichischen Volkes
(The First Years of the Austrian People)

In the ages before recorded history, man wandered the landscape, trying to find his next meal while simultaneously trying to avoid being just that for larger, more dangerous animals. Eventually, small packs of human banded together into clans, then into villages. When these villages grew large, the first cities came into being. One such band of people, German-speakers who arrived from the north-west, settled at a bend in the river Donau, and called their city Wien. This is the story of these people - the Austrians.

It is known that the people of Austria had been in contact with their northern and western neighbors, the Germans, almost since the beginning of their civilization. They shared a common tongue, and the Germans even referred to Austria as "Österreich", or "eastern realm". Peaceful trade up and down Europe's major rivers helped the growth of both Berlin and Vienna, making the relationship between the two Germanic tribes very beneficial for both.

Early Austrian records also attest to contact with a people dwelling in Anatolia known as the Ottomans or Turks. This shows that even in the earliest days of its existence, that Austria had a trade network extending from the Oder to the Bosporus.

In the year 3625 BC, a man who was executed by authorities was reported to have risen from the dead three days later, and was reputed to be the son of God Himself. The teachings of this man soon gained a large following, until Christianity was the dominant faith in Vienna, displacing the old, pagan beliefs. About the same time, Islam was founded in a distant land.

As early as the 3400s BC, Austria had contact with the tribes of people living along the Moskva, but trade between the two was limited due to the distance between the two cities, which would make such exchanges impractical.

Before the end of the 4th Millenium BC, the Austrians had also contacted the French, a people dwelling along the Seine to the far northwest. Trade was established with these people, extending the range of Austrian craftsmen and traders even further.

The Austrians had contacted all their immediate neighbors, and would soon begin laying the foundations for an empire to span the ages.​

Thanks! I just discovered, to my amusement, that in this save Islam happened to have been founded in Mecca. If the Ottomans convert to it, I may have to go to war with my Saracen neighbors in a senseless Balkan conflict. :D

By the way, if there's an error with my German, forgive me and help to correct it. I'm still new with the language, and would appreciate any help to better my knowledge of it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stadt-Bau und Handel, Teil Eins
(City-Building and Trade, Part One)

Toward the end of the 3000s BC, the city of Prag was founded to the northwest of Wien as a trade post on the way to the German city of Berlin. This nearly doubled the population of Austria, further accelerating growth and trade.

Traders from as far away as Spain made contact with Austria, selling their wares along the Donau. Europe was proving to be a rather crowded place. While there was still plenty of open land, it was almost certain that territorial wars would break out sooner or later.

Centuries later, more traders from Iberia were encountered, but these claimed to be instead from the nation of Portugal. Apparently, this nation had the misfortune of being pressed up against the Atlantic by the larger Spain.

At the end of the 3rd millenium BC, the city of Weißenburg was founded in northern Serbia. It would serve for ages as Europe's only safeguard against Ottoman expansion.

Eventually, one of the trading parties selling wares in Russia settled down south of that eastern nation, founding the city of Lemberg. Lemberg was to be an important stop on the trade routes between Austria and Russia for some years to come.

Stadt-Bau und Handel, Teil Zwei
(City-Building and Trade, Part Two)

More civilizations came to Austria's notice, and more cities were built upon Europe's rivers, over the following centuries. Austria was swelling to a dominant position on the European continent, slowly but surely. Halfway through the 2nd Millenium BC, a party of Persian explorers which had been wandering the Caucasus and southern Ruthenia came upon the Austrian city of Lemberg, and established contact with Austria. Trade with the Middle Eastern nation was non-existant, but contact with this country would be Austria's link to the East.

Welcome news came from the south, as the Ottoman sultan converted to Christianity, strengthening bonds between the two nations. Austria planned to make efforts to send missionaries to other European nations and spread the True Faith to the people of the world.

Not too long afterwards, the city of Krakow was founded in southern Galicia. This would remain Austria's northern border with Germany and Russia.

By the 9th Century BC, Christianity had spread north into Germany, and the King of Germany converted to the religion. This improved Austrian relations with Germany, as Austria set its sights to the west.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Looking good. :goodjob:

Well, I believe the AAR gods are displeased with me. Some sort of virus got into the computer that this save was on, destroying it (and everything else on the computer, for that matter). For obvious reasons, this story has been nipped in the bud. But I am not dismayed! I'll use this other computer and try to start a new story up within a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom