Any good, new Aztec strategies?

Gnthurlby

Chieftain
Before the culture victory was changed, one of my favorite strategies was the classic Aztec culture farm, but now I can't win by doing that :(... I was just wondering if anyone has found a way to turn the bonus from their UA into a tourism victory.

To my knowledge, there's no way to convert their UA's culture bonus into tourism. However, one excellent way to acquire tourism and Cultural Wonders is through warfare... and your UA culture can certainly help you acquire the policies in Aesthetics and elsewhere (notably the ideologies) which are helpful for the culture victory. So while there isn't an obvious, direct link between the Aztecs and the new cultural victory, you can certainly leverage their traits to help.

I haven't played much Aztecs at all, and not at higher levels, but I do recall that upgraded Jaguars are very nice so long as you make sure they stay alive. And the Floating Gardens are very nice for GP farms, which you'll want for your Guilds cities...

Anyway, those are my thoughts :)

Yeah, I can't think of anything particularly clever. Just because an effect moves from a direct benefit to a more indirect one doesn't mean you can't still make extremely beneficial use of it. Use that culture generation to fuel your early culture growth. Being able to make early progress on your Piety or Aesthetics trees can help move your game along quite a lot. The extra growth from Floating Gardens is always nice, and helps you build the sort of cities that help you keep in the tech race and pick up cultural wonders.

I haven't personally tried it, but I can see it being very powerful for early aggression and keeping up in culture to either grab a beneficial religion with Piety. Not needing to make your own cities could help, and pushing straight to a reformation belief could help with a varied amount of victories. Particularly now culture is harder to come by. After honor opening you could really go for anything.

I haven't messed around with the Aztecs too much in BNW, but I have a few ideas on tactical advantages they gained in BNW:
  • Culture from kills boosts defensive culture against tourism. (I believe) If you're going for the warmonger route, you don't have to worry as much about foreign tourism.
  • With Internal Trade routes now in place, Floating Gardens can have a higher base food to work off of, which means larger cities. My first size 50 city was in a BNW Aztec game.
  • More early barbs = more early barb kills = more early culture

I tried the Aztecs in BNW and had a terrible time.
With the nerf to early-game gold you can't make any decent use of the Jaguar and with how exhausting early warfare has become it will take a good while until you can start a decent war and really use your UA.

Added to that they nerfed the barbarian spawn rate in BNW, so you can't farm them for culture either.

Even though Culture isn't directly related to a culture victory now, it's still incredibly useful for downright everything, and the ability to amass loads of it puts you a step above the rest. For a culture victory especially, adopting Aesthetics and even Piety will help you greatly.

You can't Jaguar-spam very well now, this is true. The Aztecs have never been about unit-spamming, they have been about quickly and efficiently wiping out as many enemies as possible with as few units as possible. You want to be lean and effective with your units, thinking a step ahead to make sure you lose none and kill as much as you can. They've always played differently from others, in that they are most effective at cultural achievements by way of war policies and techs. You want to set your military up to be as effective as possible, and just slaughter everything you can all the time. If you're not attacking something every turn, you're doing it wrong. You need to constantly be killing something, at first kicking it off with wiping out barbs, and then, once they run out, declaring war immediately.

They play differently now, because growing massive cities is key to a culture victory as you absolutely need to work those guilds. The Floating Gardens is no longer simply a nice thing - it is the key to turning all that culture you generate into something useful. Getting massive amounts of food, combined with the bonuses Aesthetics can give, means you can easily pump out those Great Works at lightning speed.

One would quickly compare them to Poland, who gets a raw 7 free social policies over the course of the game, and I suppose it would be useful to crunch numbers and see if the Aztecs, on average, get more social policies at a typical rate than Poland does, but it doesn't work that way. Your culture from kills is a continuous stream and not a periodic event, which does entail different things obviously, namely that you'll be getting more early social policies than everyone else. It's very flexible now, and that probably defines the Aztecs best now. They aren't directly pushing towards a victory, but now that early-game culture requires more effort and isn't a matter of just building the buildings, since they only give a tiny bit of culture at base, the Aztecs have a definite edge, being able to force their way through multiple social policy trees early on, so long as you are just constantly at war. They are not a safe or easy civilization, they require wise planning, and playing a hybrid of defense and offence. You're investing in military, but not for the sake of taking other cities. To use them right, you need to make sacrifices that often won't pay out in the way the game intended. As a simple example, you are probably going to take Autocracy as the Aztecs. The ideology is set up to where you get mondo happiness to offset the penalties from taking other cities...but you're not taking other cities, not en masse. So that happiness is going more into Golden Ages than anything. In fact, in general I'd say they benefit a lot from how Autocracy has bonuses towards a culture victory, and I'd go so far as to say that's what they're meant for, as the bonuses therein fit them to a T. You can definitely pick any ideology you want, because you'll be generating the most raw culture out of everyone in the game, and that DOES go towards your defensive culture bucket. You don't have to worry about what others pick, because their tourism is not going to break you effectively, especially if you're making enemies of them. And you will be making enemies, because you have nothing to gain from being at peace. Your UU is completely irrelevant if you're not at war, but it never wears off, and grows stronger as the game progresses.

Added to that they nerfed the barbarian spawn rate in BNW, so you can't farm them for culture either.
Err, wut? Nerfed? There seem to be more barbs than ever before. Archers and the like also give more culture so...

The UA of Monte's had always been rather lackluster and somewhat counterintuitive. Now that you can't win by raw culture alone, and policies are in general faster to come by, they really do seem to have taken an axe. I guess it could give the midgame cultural sink somewhat of a buff, but compared to Poland? It can't even compare.

I'd rather just go warmonger through the entire game. After you have 3-4 jaguars all with 30XP promotions, get some CBs and wipe out some civs.

take advantage of their growth advantage with the UB. Use food trade routes and watch your cities blow up. I just won a science game with them, where I signed zero RAs...just focused on pop growth & great scientists. I opened with the honor opener but then went straight to tradition. Built a few units and farmed the camps to finish tradition faster. Whether or not that paid off, I can't say with certainty.

also, +1 culture from jungles pantheon is quite nice now.

I feel like the culture victory is a decently aggressive one late game now, so if you can warmonger your way and take some of the biggest cultural cities, I imagine you would find yourself in a pretty good situation. I've found that unique units often are really good when you can build a few early, and then use upgraded versions in later eras, although early UUs aren't always the best as they take away from so much infrastructure.

I haven't played with them yet, but aggressive culture seems to have more natural synergy to it in BNW, so I can't imagine that they've become so much worse in the expansion.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm looking forward to putting so e of these ideas to use... Anyone else feel free to post your ideas here too.

Top Bottom