Any mods or overhauls?

DoveCDog

Chieftain
Are there any mods for Civ 2 that expand the game, improve the AI? Kinda like Vox Populi for Civ 5?

Are there any mods for Civ 2 that expand the game, improve the AI? Kinda like Vox Populi for Civ 5?
Welcome to to the Civ2 area mate. Sorry I missed this!

If we're talking about regular Civ2 MGE (Multiplayer Gold Edition) then you can't go past FoxAheads Civ2 UIA tool which makes a large amount of improvements to Civ2s gameplay, GUI and fixes the broken aggressive AI issues. However if you're looking for something that makes the AI more hardcore then I'm not aware of anything out there for MGE or Test of Time. @JPetroski @Knighttime @Prof. Garfield you guys know of any special Civ2 AI mods?

Last edited:
However if you're looking for something that makes the AI more hardcore then I'm not aware of anything out there. @JPetroski @Knighttime @Prof. Garfield you guys know of any special Civ2 AI mods?
Maybe Knighttime's Medieval Millennium would count, though I don't know how much the AI was "helped" in that. As far as I know, the only work done so far to "help" the AI has been very specific to the scenario in question, and I don't even know if that surpassed specific goto orders.

Maybe Knighttime's Medieval Millennium would count, though I don't know how much the AI was "helped" in that. As far as I know, the only work done so far to "help" the AI has been very specific to the scenario in question, and I don't even know if that surpassed specific goto orders.
Hello @Prof. Garfield , have you heard of this study which used civ2 ?

Learning to Win by Reading Manuals in a Monte-Carlo Framework - David Silver

I believe their ai had more ways to act than what we can interact with in lua via Totpp ?

Hello @Prof. Garfield , have you heard of this study which used civ2 ?

Learning to Win by Reading Manuals in a Monte-Carlo Framework - David Silver

I believe their ai had more ways to act than what we can interact with in lua via Totpp ?
I vaguely remember someone mentioning this (or something similar) in the past, but I never looked it up.

Based on the paper, their AI was playing Freeciv (but using the Civ II user guide to get information). Presumably this was so that they could program interactions in such a way that games could be played by the computer much more quickly.

Since their benchmark is beating the Freeciv AI, (I don't know how good it is), I don't think they came up with a "great" civ 2 playing AI. Rather, the point of their research seems to be that they have a way to train a neural net faster by using text from the manual. At least I think, I've only skimmed the article, and only have a superficial knowledge of this kind of stuff anyway.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning this (or something similar) in the past, but I never looked it up.

Based on the paper, their AI was playing Freeciv (but using the Civ II user guide to get information). Presumably this was so that they could program interactions in such a way that games could be played by the computer much more quickly.

Since their benchmark is beating the Freeciv AI, (I don't know how good it is), I don't think they came up with a "great" civ 2 playing AI. Rather, the point of their research seems to be that they have a way to train a neural net faster by using text from the manual. At least I think, I've only skimmed the article, and only have a superficial knowledge of this kind of stuff anyway.
Many thanks prof for both looking at it and explaining it that well.

. Not a great interest then (freeciv ai is said to be worse than civ2)

Top Bottom