Any Way to edit for "occasional" settler?

Steel Beagle

Chieftain
I have latelyl been playing custom games starting with a handful of initial cities but without settlers, which reduces the city spawning all over the map and the repetitiveness over time However, I generally get one per game (sometimes none, sometimes two) through an event that is helpful in gaining some resource or blocking some area - and I assume the AI players do as well.

I wouldn't mind being able to get two or three, as opposed to averaging 1 in a marathon open-ended (notime limit) game. Any way to edit something that would have that result?

I'm not sure the AI can handle this event... I got it three times playing The Splintered Court, the others kept their three cities. I guess the AI chooses not the Settler but +1 pop or one of the other underpowered options. I think it should be changed to just a free settler, who takes an Archer or so instead anyways?

The event can trigger after there are no additional worthwhile places to settle. I've chosen other options in that situation.

I'm not sure the AI can handle this event... I got it three times playing The Splintered Court, the others kept their three cities. I guess the AI chooses not the Settler but +1 pop or one of the other underpowered options. I think it should be changed to just a free settler, who takes an Archer or so instead anyways?

You got it three times playing Splintered Court because that's the only way you can get settlers in that scenario, so the odds of you getting it were jacked up.

edit: sorry, i just scanned your entry, I didn't realize that you were actually using it as and example. Yes, the AI should be weighted to take the settler option... although the problem is, the AI rarely seems to have any money for some reason, even though they get 100+ per turn.

although the problem is, the AI rarely seems to have any money for some reason, even though they get 100+ per turn.
I think they've a bad habit of choosing a civic which allows them to spend money to hurry production and then using it too much. I don't remember them having much money in Civ 4 either, though, where only one civic does that.

I don't know how to do what the OP is asking, but I'd start by finding out how events work and I'd add in a new one whose only option is to take a settler. Make sure it's repeatable and reasonably common.

Alternatively, decide on a series of score values. Whenever you or an AI hits that score, go into WorldBuilder and give you/them a settler in your/their capital. Give Expansive leaders a different series of score values, and consider giving Clan of Embers leaders two settlers each time.

You could do it by turn instead, depending on whether you mind that everyone would get to expand at the same rate. You might have to do it by turn until you've made contact with every civ, anyway (or give the free settler to unknown civs the same time you get them 'til you make contact).

Top Bottom