Anyone Played Real World Map 18 Civs

Wez

Prince
Hello All im new to bts only played 2 games and still not had my first win on noble which was not a problem on civ4. Anyhoo i was just wondering if anyone has played a real world map with 18 civs as i have decided to give it awhirl with elizabeth/england and it aint easy (for me anyhoo) ive just enterd the rennaisance era and i have the sistene chapel. War with France has to be my next step however most of my cities have to many unhappy bods thinking of reverting back to slavery has anyone done this and do you think its worth while??

I've played on that map as Liz
2 cities in Britain, 1 in Ireland, 1 on Iceland and 2 in Scandinavia was enough
Just stayed out of European wars, teched like mad and eventually won Space Race
If you do decide to attack France I'd beeline for Rifling. The Redcoat is an excellent unit. Find out who hates France, make friends with them, and get them to join in the war on your side

edit: I wouldn't run slavery
I'd run Hereditary Rule or Representation (if you can) and Caste System

Cheers for the reply Amazon

Yep i have cities in the same place as you except i missed scandanavia germany beat me to it and i have 3 cities in britain which may be to many so war with france is a must really. Germany hates france too so i might get an ally there, ive just got gunpowder 1 of the first to get it and ill make a beeline for redcoat whilst tech trading with other civs.

Try trading with non european civs for luxury good, the chinese have loads

Cheers for the advice
Im in work at the mo so im going of memory but i think im running hereditary rule/caste system but my three best cities have gone red some with 3 unhappy, i already have some deals for luxury goods but im running out of my own resources to trade so i need to take paris ive got a stack of 4 1 catapult 1 knight and 2 swordsmen waiting by the border in german lands so i reckon ill reinforce it with 3 musketmen and a catapult and then just ave a go. My navys quite strong so ill blockade as many french tiles as i can. I reckon germany would join in but im a bit worried about them taking paris after ive done the hard wk and lost my units.

Incidentally I find Persia a great Civ to play in that situation. Capital is surrounded by resources, and if you found a city where Baghdad is, it become a money and science goldmine with loads of cottages.

Trouble with Europe is its bleeping crowded
Take Paris and you get 1 great city and borders with 3 civs who are short of land
The other place you could go is America. Monty and Roosevelt tend to be behind in tech. If you did that switching to slavery so you could whip courthouses and maybe the Forbidden Palace might be worthwhile
Also the Incas tend to sit on their side of the Andes so often the rest of South America is empty except for barbarians

Yep took paris last night and wahey it had 3 world wonders i dont know if thats a bug or summat i cant remeber what they where now anyhoo yes i see what you mean about europe it is crowded. China decided to go to war with me which ment gengis did as well as he's china's vassal when i was halfway through taking paris but i havent seen either of them yet so ive decided to build my navy up anyhoo things are looking a lot better now. Your also right about SA ive got an explorer rooting about down there and it seems deserted.

Thanks again for all the advice folks.

Get settlers and Redcoats over to North America pronto. Go in thru Hudson Bay, the Americans are hamstrung by Barbs so don't become strong til late in the game. You'll get two or three cities going in no time, with Redcoats and Cats/Trebs you can take any Barb cities - the Americans won't have!

Enjoy.

when i played this game monty had almost completely taken over america(north and South). I played as russia and took all but america's last city's than i gave al city's to america with 2 marines per city making him in one turn the number 2 civ. Comming from the bottem that was cool. I vazalized him before ofcource. It can be fun this game.

I tried this scenario as the romans aiming for a *conquest* victory... *not* domination. In fact, I turned domination off as a victory condition because it's hard to get to "conquest" without hitting the domination conditions first.

As noted, Europe is crowded, but it worked to my advantage. I quickly got iron working, and sent my Pret's out and took out the spanish, the germans, the french, and the greeks. That gave me most of europe and scandanavia. My first "real" war was taking on the russians, but I destroyed them too.

I next started a war against the Mongols, but after I crushed them, they became a vassal to China, and the war stopped.

I turned my attentions to Persia next (stupid, I should have waited the 10 turns, then continued on with the mongols *and* china). After crushing Persia, they became a Vassal to China. But it was worse because Persia had been fighting, and beating the Indians. So, India *also* became a vassal to China.

By this time, we were hitting some of the modern era, and Britain, with just five cities, was out teching me!!! So, I launched a simultaneous invasion of their major cities and destroyed them in 10 turns.

So now I turned my attention back to China. This was a very frustrating war because it was the combined China, Persia, India, Mongols lands. Granted, I have a more powerful military, but the border was really, really, long.

This is about where I've stopped. The frustrating thing is, I *cant* win by conquest. there's only about 150 years of game left. It will probably take at least 50-75 years to finish off all of China and their vassals (they have a lot of islands). There is no way in the remaining time to take all of Africa and America.

I keep hearing that vassals count as conquest, but I don't believe it. Every time I vassalize someone, they're still listed as a rival left to conquer on the victory conditions page.

So, I plan to start over, at some point, I think I'll do it as the Persians (I think the Charismatic trait is most important to a conquest game). I figure I have to conquest all of the "old world" before 1700. Then, I could spend 100 years preparing to invade the americas....

-- SJN

Best way to win this scenario is to axe rush as many civs as possible right from the start.
Even on higher difficulties they take a while to build archers in their cities.
Starting as Germany or Russia i was able to wipe out pretty much all of Europe before 1000 BC (On immortal). It gives you a huge advantage since European cities have so many resources near them.
(Some civs have really crappy starting positions as well - Genghis Khan and Huayna for example, Cyrus position is not that good either, but you can take over the Arabs, Russians and India quick with a well executed Immortal rush).

I think there should be a Hall of Fame column for each victory type on the Earth map. Yes, it's very different from not knowing where the resources and choke points are outside the 3 gems plains hill start you whipped up with Mapfinder, but getting an earlier victory than anyone else is no less a challenge.

Frederick really shines if you settle 1 SW, worker first, BW first, and have the worker circumambulate Berlin chopping those riverside grassland forests to rush axemen while researching Fishing, Sailing, Agriculture, AH, Wheel, Pottery. First axeman takes Rome, which should produce a galley as soon as sailing is in. Second takes Paris, and once healed the two can actually leave those cities undefended and take Madrid if you're careful. Third takes Athens, which should also produce a galley. Then hit Catherine with the next four axemen, or you'll have no end of annoyance filling in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia. Chop the forests around Paris to get 2 axemen and a galley for London, and use the galleys produced at Rome and Athens to hit Egypt with four. Meanwhile, Mysticism -> Masonry -> Meditation -> Priesthood (start building Oracle, delay at 1 turn left) -> Writing -> Math -> Code of Laws -> Oracle for CS. At higher difficulties, you'll have to finish the Oracle earlier and take a less expensive slingshot. By settling 1 SW, Berlin's fat cross becomes almost nothing but 3 food resources plus riverside grassland to cottage as your Bureaucracy capital. Once you take the two Nile cities, you'll want to hit Saladin as fast as you can, don't let him stack more Pro archers, let alone reach Feudalism. Get Alphabet, trade for what you're missing (at least Mansa should have the all-important IW), grab Construction, and take out Cyrus as fast as you can. Keep his good cities, raze all but one of the rest, extort any techs you don't have in exchange for sparing it. 10 turns later, eliminate him. Now you can have all the steppe land you want until your borders press against Mongolia's. Meanwhile, you should still have a stack of catapults and swordsmen or macemen just sitting on India's border. Upgrade any swords to maces and go to town. You should be able to have all India before 500 AD at Prince, leaving lots of time for the rest of your rivals.

It's probably not as powerful as Julius or Cyrus, but I just love the power of that capital. :lol:

I think some of the champs in this thread should be specifying what difficulty they're playing on :)

Im playing on noble
And things arnt as grim as they where i took Paris and Madid only just beat Ceasar to Madrid and ive just started a new city in South America with another settler on the way. Im now 2nd but China is well ahead of me so ive built a few privateers and sent them of in the hope of trying to hurt china dont think ill have much hope of persuading anyone to go to war with China.

I will post a save later if i remember when i get home.

Cheers again all

I keep hearing that vassals count as conquest, but I don't believe it. Every time I vassalize someone, they're still listed as a rival left to conquer on the victory conditions page.

They're listed as rivals, but if the whole world is your vassal, you win conquest.

hmm why not try the 34 civ map? it's a bit more entertaining and way more fair.

1. china isn't destined to become world power

2. the americans actually have a chance of accomplishing something.

as for that map, i'd conquer france. if you get paris you get lots of wine, solving your problem, and goddamn fast city.

Which real world map are you guys referring to?

I really like setting the difficulty to settler and trying to win early conquest as Rome. The earliest I have ever gotten was in the 1000BC range, which required the Oracle for astronomy to get to the Americas.

Top Bottom