Apostle rushes and Warmongering. Damned if I do, damned if I don't?

the simplest 'trick' is to have a few extra units near the Inquisitors/holy site to either a: reduce the number of Apostles

The simplest trick is to go wipe the floor with Ghandi, using your own apostles. I got damn sick of defending against his incursions and ignoring my polite requests, so finally gave in and converted India. Now he is spamming Eastern Orthodoxy missionaries.

Its fairly easy to convert another Holy City, so I learned. Just a pita to march all the way there.

I agree that this is annoying, but actually in my latest couple of games, I found that this is less of a nuisance if you deal with it in a different way than trying to take out all his apostles. In my latest game, instead I've done the following, which is much less of a nuisance (but possibly only works if you have more than one or two cities).

1) Launch an inquisition ASAP.
2) When his apostles come in waves, let them convert one of your cities. This usually takes quite a lot of charges if city is not small.
3) Once city is converted, sent in an Inquisitor and clear his religion, and let him start over.
4) Rinse and repeat.

Of course, this only works if you have enough cities for him to not convert all your cities in one sweep.

Another strategy that I find useful is the following:

1) Get an apostle with the bonus to theological combat promotion.
2) Park him next to a holy site close to your borders towards the following religion and put him to sleep.
3) Foreign apostles/missionaries will not attack him instead of converting your cities. If you just let him sleep, he'll heal between turns.
4) The foreign religious units will suicide themselves by attacking your units, thus giving -250 preasure of their religion and +250 presure of your religion within 10 tiles. Sometimes they wander off with low health, at which point you can snipe them with your apostle if you want to.

Of course, this only works if they don't send enough apostles to kill him in one turn, so you need to watch out for that.

This makes me wonder how long you've been playing CivVI as the player simply cannot get enough inquisitors for this to work effectively. Especially when 20-30 are roaming around. Plus, they aren't that great in combat, so they can be easily defeated. To not admit that it is annoying as heck and needs some work is to be willfully blind.
Well I play since 10 mn after release in Europe.
And you absolutly can. Just don't fight outside of your territory.
I used this on deity reliably. Of course you need to produce some faith...

In my current game I have a religion and the inquisition. I did however remove religion as a means to win. This game is gonna be long as I wanted go to for Domination and to hell with war monger penalties, Ill just keep internal trade routes. Only wins avail are domination and Science which I have already did in another game.

Rome found out the hard way Apostles sitting on a holy site seem stronger and heal the same turn. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:
- When I play religion, i just inquisite them. It's so frigging easy.

- When I'm not playing religion I just ignore them. Then they convert my cities and then never ever come back.

The simplest trick is to go wipe the floor with Ghandi, using your own apostles. I got damn sick of defending against his incursions and ignoring my polite requests, so finally gave in and converted India. Now he is spamming Eastern Orthodoxy missionaries.

Its fairly easy to convert another Holy City, so I learned. Just a pita to march all the way there.

Funny... When I converted Gandhi he just stopped spamming apostles. :(

I never even used an Inquisitor. So I just did, and while yes it does make managing them easier than going to war, it's still way too much micromanagement. Now I have to have 10 Inquisitors spread out over my empire asleep just so they aren't running halfway across the continent when 30 apostles show up on my shore.

Right now a single apostle costs me 570 faith, but the inquisitors cost only 140. I'm generating about 180 faith a turn, and I'm not even focusing on it. For the AI to be cranking out 10 missionaries and 20 apostles and sending them to me, they must be generating faith in the thousands per turn.

I just wish they'd make it possible to stack military with opponent religious units. Religion / military are supposed to be different modes of conflict, but right not religious units effectively double as military units by occupying the whole hex. It is particularly annoying when you have a war with one AI civ, and a 3rd party comes into the area of military operations with a blob of apostles, effectively blocking operations. Not fun.

Firstly, Eruil is right. Inquisitiors are cheap, & heal if on or adjacent to your Holy Site. You only need a fraction of the AIs numbers to kill them off. The game provides an effective defensive religious game if you learn how to play it.

Well, now you tell us...

LOL. So many new mechanics. I totally did not understand how inquisition worked. I thought that inquisitors must be locked to just theocracy or something. Plus, I didn't want to launch an inquisition. It sounds so unseemly.

Does anyone know if disabling the religion victory at game creation forces AI players to seek other means of victory, thus preventing this spam of religious units?
It doesn't make any difference. It just becomes an annoyance.

I've found that the best way to eliminate religious spam, involves getting an apostle with the Proselytiser promotion and marching on their holy city and converting them. He likely won't survive to do it on another unless the AI doesn't have apostles of his own to immediately swarm yours.

Do it early enough, and you can kill their religion forever. Though they'll spend the entire game denouncing you. I did it to Arabia once. Denounced me from the classical era all the way to the atomic, also declared two fruitless religious wars against me. After which I won because of an unintended religious victory thanks to England spreading it everywhere.

It's also fairly costly I'd suppose. But nothing major should you have your own religion. Also helps if you're the suzerain of Yerevan. So you can pick that promotion everytime.

Top Bottom