Appreciation of Civ2.

marciv

Warlord
I have just began to play C2 after beginning Civ on C3 (at it's launch) and then C4. I just want to take this opportunity to say that I consider this early version of the ART of programming for 'gamers' to be 100 % of what I consider to be a strategy player's dream. The fact that I am not really very good at playing it provides me with added momentum to play and play again. Well done Mr Reynolds for your ground-breaking thought processes and implentation of this 'Work of Art'!
I must add that I am a thorough fan of Civ, albeit in it's many forms and that I will continue to enoy it's myriad manifestations in it's well earned future.
Civ5 does not appeal to me having read the fan's appraisals, I will nonetheless continue to monitor any recent updates.
I also wish to thank all Civ fans for their continuing support of this site for whichever variation of the theme of Civ which they choose to pursue. I have not posted this message with an urge to generate any response, but simply to say a big thank-you to you all for enhancing my overall enjoyment of the Civ experience!!:goodjob:

Glad you are still enjoying civ in whatever form you prefer. Civ 2 is my favorite in the series.

I would say give the demo of 5 a chance before you go just by the "fan's appraisals."

I am glad that you like II. I have been playing II/TOT for almost 15 years. Welcome to Civ 2!

Your comments are noted. I will give V a try in the future but presently playing C2 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop which can obviously handle the likes of 2 and 3 but not 4 and later. I have to resort to the desktop (Upstairs) for 4 and BTS and also Colonization which causes problems with allegations of anti-social behaviour with the rest of the family as I go missing for hours or should I say that I used to.
I also have CRev on the Xbox and PS3 which despite the criticisms is still fun to play.
I can sit with "her indoors" whilst on the lappy and get less grief! :lol:
When the finnances are right I'll update the lappy.

Ahh. I see. I paid $1200 US for my HP Laptop that was on clearance 4 years ago when Compusa went out of the brick and morter business. It is a dual core 1.6 GigHrtz, 2Meg, and a fairly decent Nvidea Graphics. It was supposed to handle the now defunct HD Movies. It does a wonderful job of TOT, but barely squeaks by on V.

Tbh, I never really advanced beyond Civ 2 in terms of my appreciation of the series. I tried Civ 3, it was a letdown, all the rest of the series seem to me to be just tinkering with a concept which was essentially perfected in Civ 2, and I have yet to play them beyond Civ 3. Civ 2 is a great, great game, from the golden age of gaming. I've been playing it since I was little, (relatively speaking) and I still fire it up on occassion. Great game. Great, great game.

Just one thing, should I be playing C2 in the MGE format. The reason I ask is that when I see the downloads, GOTM and view the Gallery everything seems to be in in Gold. Although I can actually play in the MGE format, I can't save a game as I get error messages (can't recall them at this time) I don't intend to play MP so I suppose that may answer my question. Any thoughts out there?

You're maybe trying to save games under the Program Files folder. That folder is write-protected for some users because of security reasons. If you make a separate folder (ex. C:\Games\Civ2) and save games there, it could work out.

From what I have read, diplomacy with AI in multi-player is skewed in the sense that every one hates you the next turn no matter what. For GOTMs, single player version works just fine.

For those of you posting here professing to like Civ 2 I would recommend you try playing with us in the new Civ 2.5 MP group we started recently (you might have seen the threads for it pop up over the last couple weeks).

If Civ 2 SP is entertaining, Civ 2.5 MP is a few orders of magnitude better, and I don't think I'm exaggerating. Go to the "Civ 2.5 Multiplayer Group" threads or email me at aux.account1@gmail.com to learn more.

Civ2 along with championship manager 2 have been engrained into my consciousness due to the vast amount of time I spent playing during my formative teenage years.

Unfortunately there were no more updates after 2.42 and it is not possible to update now.

Nevertheless, it remains a superb replayable game. I never was able to play the other civs. I guess I would have had to be born a decade later:)

Civ2 along with championship manager 2 have been engrained into my consciousness due to the vast amount of time I spent playing during my formative teenage years.

I suspect that you are one of many who have "Burned the midnight oil" playing Civ in whatever form suits your taste. This is of course the main problem with Civ; the time consumed when becoming embroiled in matters of diplomacy, trade, war and related ventures.
I am actually retired....being born in that age when pupils were equipped with a wood framed Blackboard and Chalk rather than a Lap-top and even though I have more time to spend immersed in "Sid-World" I still struggle to get the time. Of course if I lived alone that would be a different matter, but I have to compete with the demands of "Her indoors" who considers that I should pursue what is in her opinion a more meaningful and productive activity......like Decorating, Lawnmowing and general DIY.
A teenager therefore has less constraints I would suggest although there is never really an ideal stage in one's life when we are totally unhampered and free to dominate the world. :lol:

Top Bottom