[April Fools] Sid Meier's Evolution: Everything you grow is wrong

If this had come on the 1st then I would be 100% sure it was an April Fools gag. But the rules are quite clear and its the 4th now so either

a) this gag is late

b) It was released late as part of a carefully contrived plan in which the obvious fallacious 'Extreme Diplomacy' gag is merely a decoy gag to make this gag seems more believable.

c) its 4 real :eek:

My money is on B.

If there ever was a case of an April's Fool joke turned into a reality, now would be the time. Absolutely brilliant idea.

QFT.. this game could literally become a spore-killer if Sid made it. Just like how Goblin Tinkers in Warcraft 3 were originally an april fools joke, I'd hope this game was actually made.

I would PAY them to make this game. Like 20Gs.

hey guys sorry to burst your bubble but the cell stage screenshot comes from either a game from armorgames.com or addictinggames.com (I forget which though I know the game)

Microbe Kombat (I also don't remember the site).

Sounds like it may be real. 2K Games has a blurb about it.

Evolution is a standalone game that creates an entirely new experience, and challenges the whole notion of how games are played. The ultimate “god game,” players will, for the first time, tip the first fundamental dominoes that create entire realities complete with physical laws, dimensions and the possibilities of life – even intelligent life.

My friend Marco can verify this (somehow...)

Hm. If it were real I think Firaxis would have something about it on their webpage. Has anyone been there to check this out? My friends in TSA (Technology Student Association) all claim it's real, though.

Did not find anything on the Firaxis page. Appears to be an April Fool's joke. But it is very elaborate for an April Fool's joke. Perhaps it is has a double layer of meaning because Sid has either used the idea itself as an illustration for one of his ideas, or because they were fishing a bit to see if they could get Sid to say more!

I have no doubt that Sid could do something like Spore on a larger scale and do it right. As the game is described though, it reminds me a lot of a science fiction series of novels. The Well of Souls series by Jack Chalker. Anyone else notice that?

Who here would not buy this game?

Hells yeah I would! As long as it doesn't get perverted like Spore did.

Hells yeah I would! As long as it doesn't get perverted like Spore did.

Having never played Spore, I don't get the reference. Do you mean people started using it in a perverted manner, or do you mean it was just screwed up?

Look back about 3 years and find the game reviews and video. Then look at the finished product. They turned it into a cartoon video game. It was deemed too complex for the average game player, so they dumbed it down.

^ So what sorts of things did they cut?

^ So what sorts of things did they cut?

Well a few problems include:

*The "evolution" that takes place in the game. The player's creature's "evolutionary" path is linear instead of branched.

*Evolution is teleological. The player's creature must evolve into an intelligent being. In the theory of scientific evolution, there are many possible evolutionary pathways and there is no endpoint except extinction.

*According to the real world theory of evolution, an organism's environment shapes its evolution by allowing some individuals to reproduce more and causing other individuals to die. In Spore, the only things shaping the way the creatures change over time are game statistics and "whatever the player thinks looks cool.

*Creatures have to collect new parts from other creatures or from skeletal remains in order to evolve those parts themselves.

*In Spore, the creatures not controlled by the player don't evolve, unlike real life. Yours is the only creature that changes over time.

*The removal of the "Fish" stage of the game. In the game you jump from single celled creatures to animals that walk on land. Beta videos at the time showed this stage.

The original concept for Spore was more scientifically accurate than the version that was eventually released. It included more realistic artwork for the single-celled organisms and a rejection of faster-than-light travel as impossible. However, these were removed to make the game more friendly to casual users. From Seed magazine (a web science based mag.):

The snag is that Spore didn't just jettison half its science — it replaced it with systems and ideas that run the risk of being actively misleading. Scientists brought in to evaluate the game for potential education projects recoiled as it became increasingly evident that the game broke many more scientific laws than it obeyed. Those unwilling to comment publicly speak privately of grave concerns about a game which seems to further the idea of intelligent design (you knew that word was coming) under the badge of science, and they bristle at its willingness to use words like "evolution" and "mutation" in entirely misleading ways.

It doesn't stop there. Plans are for an expansion to make the game more like "The Sims"

Spore Creature Keeper has players nurturing, training and playing with their own personally-created creature. With lots of toys, clothes and gizmos to play with, players can pamper their pets to perfection! Fans can play with their creation alone or have a play-date online for endless creature fun.

Don't forget (or do, please do) the planned Spore: the movie coming to a theater near you.
October 2, 2009 - Bestselling EA title Spore is being developed into a Hollywood movie, according to trade paper Variety.

20th Century Fox are set to turn the game into an animated creature feature, with Ice Age co-director Chris Wedge signed up to helm.

Fox will be hoping Spore will emulate the studio's other animation franchise Ice Age, with series having earned nearly $2bn to date.

Said Wedge: "I'm always looking for unique worlds to go to in animation. From every perspective - visually, thematically and comedically - the world of Spore provides the potential to put something truly original on the screen."

^ A spore movie?!?! that is weird. And I remember the fish stage from a video I watched. I wish they had kept it. Thanks for the list.

Did some digging and saw some more Evolution pics and an article here...

Looking better!

Wow! This just gets better and better. Seriously, where did you find those?

This seems to be getting more real, but I just wish someone who worked for firaxis told us.

Top Bottom