Arab campaign

Peca

Chieftain
I found this campaign to be the most thriling and historical interesting from them all, but there are some imbalances.

Like for example the byzantine presence in north Africa is to strong. And the barbarians of north Africa are also overpowered.

The Byzantines have Longbowmen in Alexandria and Benghazi togehter with a pike unit. And they only have one pike unit in Tripolis. Also their naval units are operating on the north African shores. The Arabs have maybe powerful camel archers but the problem is that the pike units counter them quite easily and they can stop the entire blunt of the Arab invasion dead in its tracks. The rapid spread of Islamic presence to Moroco and Algiers is imposible to recreate due to the byzantine pikeman.

And the barbarians. I read the description that python recreates historical barbarian invasions and assaults. I dont know what is historical in the notion that in the 8 century A.D. you have massive Barbarians armies spawning from the Sahara desert in their stacks. If there would really be such a force hailling from Sahara as represented in the game I am sure that they would rule the known world in that historical time frame. No civilization from Subsahara could muster such vast armies.

Now I recommend that you either:
Remove pikeman units from Byzantine held Alexandira, Benhgazi and Tripolis
or

reduce the barbarian presence in northern Africa
or

Beef up Arabian starting armies giving them another stack of 5 camel arhcers

What are your toughts?

I found this campaign to be the most thriling and historical interesting from them all, but there are some imbalances.

Like for example the byzantine presence in north Africa is to strong. And the barbarians of north Africa are also overpowered.

The Byzantines have Longbowmen in Alexandria and Benghazi togehter with a pike unit. And they only have one pike unit in Tripolis. Also their naval units are operating on the north African shores. The Arabs have maybe powerful camel archers but the problem is that the pike units counter them quite easily and they can stop the entire blunt of the Arab invasion dead in its tracks. The rapid spread of Islamic presence to Moroco and Algiers is imposible to recreate due to the byzantine pikeman.

And the barbarians. I read the description that python recreates historical barbarian invasions and assaults. I dont know what is historical in the notion that in the 8 century A.D. you have massive Barbarians armies spawning from the Sahara desert in their stacks. If there would really be such a force hailling from Sahara as represented in the game I am sure that they would rule the known world in that historical time frame. No civilization from Subsahara could muster such vast armies.

Now I recommend that you either:
Remove pikeman units from Byzantine held Alexandira, Benhgazi and Tripolis
or

reduce the barbarian presence in northern Africa
or

Beef up Arabian starting armies giving them another stack of 5 camel arhcers

What are your toughts?
I think the byzantine presence in North Africa is accurate. At the beginning of the Arab-Byzantines was the Arabs were outnumbered, I believe the same was during the conquest of Carthage/Tunis, therefore when you play with the Arabs you have to put some efforts in reaching Spain and Rome. In my opinion the toughest historical victory goal was the last one since no one allows you to spread Islam in their cities. I have to say I was also unlucky when I played because Turkey conquered eastwards occupying Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran.

Top Bottom