[NFP] Archaeological Ruins and Ethiopia

Ruins seem to show up on tiles that were the sites of battles earlier in the game. This doesn't seem to happen every battle, so I was wondering... is there any kind of rhyme or reason behind how this mechanic works or how many ruins can or will spawn?

Continuing on that line of thought, could you "farm" archaeological ruins as Ethiopia to really take advantage of their ability to faith buy museums and archaeologists? Would it be beneficial to leave a barbarian camp around to spawn units for you to defeat? Would it be beneficial to fight some early skirmishes with other civs for the same reason?

Just a thought...

Just get the Terracota Army and forget about anything else.

You'd need to get archaeology from different sources for theming purposes anyways so...

Just get the Terracota Army and forget about anything else.

You'd need to get archaeology from different sources for theming purposes anyways so...

Not particularly worried about Terracota Army TBH. The AI doesn't always care if you dig up their ruins, and even if they do the grievances are easy enough to manage.

They can't be aggravated about you plundering their ruins if you reduce their pathetic civilizations to ruins.

...I think my attitude towards the AI and game in general probably isn't the norm.

They can't be aggravated about you plundering their ruins if you reduce their pathetic civilizations to ruins.

...I think my attitude towards the AI and game in general probably isn't the norm.
Yeah it probably isn't the norm, since the norm should be to introduce your superior civilization to them directly rather than leaving them in ruins :lol:.

Not particularly worried about Terracota Army TBH. The AI doesn't always care if you dig up their ruins, and even if they do the grievances are easy enough to manage.

Terractoa Army does nothing in affecting how the AI feels about you digging up their territory, all it does it permit Archeologist to dig up WITHOUT open borders within their territory instead.

But even so, I think it's just random in when and if a dig is generated, I also know that they only generate right up until someone discovers that they "eixst" with the civic needed.

The thing is, I don't think Ethiophia particularly benefits from Archeological game because they don't actually get any bonuses to Artefacts at all, it just easier to build the museums since you generate a lot of faith.

Ruins seem to show up on tiles that were the sites of battles earlier in the game. This doesn't seem to happen every battle, so I was wondering... is there any kind of rhyme or reason behind how this mechanic works or how many ruins can or will spawn?

Continuing on that line of thought, could you "farm" archaeological ruins as Ethiopia to really take advantage of their ability to faith buy museums and archaeologists? Would it be beneficial to leave a barbarian camp around to spawn units for you to defeat? Would it be beneficial to fight some early skirmishes with other civs for the same reason?

Just a thought...

There is a pretty complex logic behind, which centers around picking sites which have seen a lot of action, while avoid them clustering (I have read an extensive explanation including the involved numbers on this a while ago, but sadly couldn't find it again on a quick search). The algorithmus gives each tile points for each battle and deducts points for already placed ruins to avoid them popping up next to each other.

I don't think Ethiophia particularly benefits from Archeological game because they don't actually get any bonuses to Artefacts at all, it just easier to build the museums since you generate a lot of faith.
So instant buys from faith are meaningless? You think it's better to build art museums and wait x turns to get an artwork that generates tourism you need than have this tourism from artifact faster?
and I don't think Terracota Army is so important if you want to have open borders with AI in tourism games anyway?

There is a pretty complex logic behind, which centers around picking sites which have seen a lot of action, while avoid them clustering (I have read an extensive explanation including the involved numbers on this a while ago, but sadly couldn't find it again on a quick search). The algorithmus gives each tile points for each battle and deducts points for already placed ruins to avoid them popping up next to each other.

Very interesting. I figured there was something keeping ruins from being clustered.

Just a thought...

Well... interesting thought, but here's the thing. It would make it very hard, if not impossible, to theme them... they would mostly all be YOU or BARBARIAN artifacts.

So unless you think unthemed museums are worth your while, I'd have to say that even if possible, why bother ?

Well... interesting thought, but here's the thing. It would make it very hard, if not impossible, to theme them... they would mostly all be YOU or BARBARIAN artifacts.

So unless you think unthemed museums are worth your while, I'd have to say that even if possible, why bother ?

Theming the museums is rather difficult anyways. Better to have every slot filled than not. I can still look for ruins in other parts of the world, plus I'd have more pieces to trade for others I might want.

Top Bottom