archeologists attack

neoaspilet11

Chieftain
This is really the most exciting part of bnw. when archeologists are busy digging to fill the museums. so my tactics is to send my archelogists to the farthest places possible or near the enemy civ borders before digging inside my borders. and the fun begins when i sign an open borders with my friend civ and simultenously dig inside the other civ borders.:D

I usually send horse units to sit on the tiles while building archaeologists. Nothing worse than sending one 12 turns away only to find someone else digging.

Yeah, I'll also send units to 'reserve' some sites for me.

I don't know what you mean by 'simultaneous' but if you're trying to time extracting several artifacts at once to avoid the diplomacy hit, that doesn't actually work, you'll still get it anyways.

But, yeah, if I'm going for an cultural victory, I usually start spamming archaeologists as soon as I unlock the tech, pausing only to build the Louvre and enough museums to hold my artifacts. I even usually try to avoid the World's Fair coming up for a vote to make sure my productions isn't distracted from archaeologists.

Heh, in my last game I synchronized 32 archaeologists to dig up every normal and hidden site in Incan territory simultaneously so I could loot their territory bare before the first diplo response.

Barbarians ate my archaeologists!

I sent one to a site on another continent. I did notice a Barbarian Encampment nearby but figured the French had already cleared it. Next turn, just to be sure, I followed Indiana Jones with a cavalry unit.

The encampment was still active, Indy was captured. No worries, I thought. The cavalry will soon rescue him.

Wrong! After destroying both encampment and resident Barbarians, there was no trace of my archaeologist!

So I figure they must have eaten him. Bloody savages!

Heh, in my last game I synchronized 32 archaeologists to dig up every normal and hidden site in Incan territory simultaneously so I could loot their territory bare before the first diplo response.
That's awesome! :lol:

how do u find the hidden dig sites?

It's the finisher bonus from Exploration. It shows you a few extra dig sites. The only really neat thing about it is the one-in-three chance for it to pop out a Great Work of Writing instead. You can then either use it for a one-time culture boost, or fill up one of those countless writing slots instead of the already-kind-of-full art slots.

IMO it's a neat finisher, and I'll often re-spam archaeologists out to get the Hidden sites. If the hidden ones are all in other civ's territories, I'll sometimes build a Landmark to undo some of the diplomatic damage I've done by looting all the regular sites. I keep the writings though.

Damn shame the rest of the tree is kind of weak.

My favorite is when I start digging a site in unclaimed territory, an AI I have open borders with settles next to it, and then I get scolded for "stealing our cultural heritage". In one such case, the artifact was from a battle between my civ and some barbarians. Revisionist history, much?

Is there anyway we can buy archeologist? Their production cost is really high and it takes ages to spam them.

Is there anyway we can buy archeologist? Their production cost is really high and it takes ages to spam them.

I think you may be missing the point here.
The reason these guys cannot be rushed and are so pricey is because their outputs are very good if you're going for the CV. So this would basically make this goal much easier if you had bags of dosh (like DV and SV with freedom :p)

They must have been quite far behind in technology.... I hate the prospect of sending an archaeologist to some far-off site only to find a "local" archaeologist frenetically digging away....

You can park a unit (scout or other military unit, or worker, or missionary -- whatever) on the remote antiquity site until your archaeologist gets there. That will prevent your rivals from digging that site.

They must have been quite far behind in technology.... I hate the prospect of sending an archaeologist to some far-off site only to find a "local" archaeologist frenetically digging away....

They were about half an era behind me (4-5 techs) and the FIRST tech I hit in Modern was Archaeology for that very reason... was going for final Autocracy VC achievement (culture)... matter of fact I even debated something cheezy towards the end...

For a while, I considered picking up Cult of Personality and bribing every nation until I had everyone fighting everyone else (5 civs left including me) so I could maximize bonus (3 shared wars would be almost double OB/TR even with Aesthetics +15%), but I got lucky and got two GMs (one from SP, one from my city) and was able to double concert tour India (the Civ which would have taken the longest) and the 20% boost to everyone else pushed me over the top and popped the CV.

Top Bottom